Should I Delete Christian Music?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 05:15 PM by cactus.)
RE: Should I Delete Christian Music?
(08-04-2015 04:40 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Absurd! Who would have such music!
http://youtu.be/jhGQT4IGGaU

I am literally planning to act out every single one of whatever vile acts were described in those unintelligible lyrics. Yep, I sure am.

JK LOL. lololol. I got you guys so good, didn't I? I wasn't being serious. It was a joke. Don't take what I just said above literally. Again, just for the record, I was being sarcastic.

(Just trying to cover my bases so some random Canadian woman won't come across this post, look up my address and see that I live near some elementary school, and have me sent to prison for four months for making an obviously sarcastic comment on the internet.)

I do happen to have a few songs about Satanism in my music collection, though. Again, random uptight Canadian lady who may read this in the future, I can assure you that I only enjoy listening to these songs in an ironic way, and these songs only inspire me to sacrifice kittens the dark lord like once (maybe two times tops) per year. It's nothing to worry about, really.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2015, 05:24 PM
I've never been Christian and I have some Christian music on my music list. Some stuff just sounds nice. I'll even sing along.

"Seems like I always fall short, I'm not worthy....Cuz I ain't good enough, but He still loves me!"

Yeah, a pretty terrible message, but it sure is fun to sing Tongue

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-04-2015, 05:26 PM
I listen to a lot of older folk and blues music and the musicians will occasionally throw something about god in there. It usually doesn't bother me though as most of it is just line or two. The only song I think I have ever deleted for reasons of being overtly christian was Johnny Cash's cover of "God's Gonna Cut You Down". As longs as the lyrics aren't grating to you I don't see much of a reason to delete them.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 1 user Likes Russ's post
08-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Listen to whatever you like. Unless you're an anti-theist or a religious fundamentalist, there's no reason to delete songs because of their intended audience or their creators.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
08-04-2015, 05:31 PM
(08-04-2015 05:28 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Listen to whatever you like. Unless you're an anti-theist or a religious fundamentalist, there's no reason to delete songs because of their intended audience or their creators.
Although I'm an anti-theist who likes some Christian music Tongue

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-04-2015, 06:18 PM
I can't listen to xtian music anymore without either laughing or getting irritated.
08-04-2015, 08:21 PM
I also say if you like it, keep it. I have always loved Christmas music, both secular and religious. I'm also a relatively new atheist, and I haven't deleted a single Christmas song. I also have a lot of country music, much or which references the Christian god. I still enjoy it. There is one called "I've Been Watching You" about a little boy and his dad. The kid spills some food in the car and says a cuss word. The dad asks where he learned it, and the kid tells his dad he's been watching him, and wants to grow up to be just like him. The dad, being humbled, prays for guidance to be a good example to his son. Later, the son is praying at bedtime, and dad again asked where he learned to pray like that. The kid again responds that he's been emulating his dad. Take away the religious part, and I think it's a really nice song about leading by example and realizing your kids learn both good and bad from parents.

I also have on my wall, an essay written by my uncle, a minister, about my Grandmother after she died. It's highly religious in nature. At the time it was written, I was a Christian, and I was very touched by it. Now, I still find it comforting, because a lot of love went into writing it, and it reflected my Grandmother's beliefs.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
08-04-2015, 09:31 PM
I used to have to listen to Christian "rock" when I was a kid, because my sister would regularly go through the house breaking all of our secular CDs and cutting the spool of our secular tapes.

I listened to Jars of Clay, and Caedmon's Call, and some of their less preachy songs are still in my iPod (yes, I still have an iPod...) Some people can just sing or put together a tune, regardless of what the lyrics are.

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson
09-04-2015, 01:50 AM
When I have kids, I'll teach them to say fuck first thing just to make a point. Who the fuck cares about curse words anyhow? I'll just explain when to better not use them as well.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
09-04-2015, 03:55 AM
My kids have heard me use the odd 'fuck', 'shit', 'arse', 'knobhead' etc in opportune moments when some retard sets off my instinctive reaction to stupid behaviour. It's not a constant thing and they realise that it's a pleasure that they will have to wait a few years to use (or whisper between themselves away from grown-ups no doubt).

As for religious music, I've never been indoctrinated and not really given it much thought. After reading these comments though, I probably have listened to a good deal of songs with religious messages and just not registered it. My taste is broad, and Johnny Cash has had more than a few plays. I think I'm quite shallow really and I'm more of a sucker for a nice tune, good rhythm and generally how the song structure makes my fingers and feet move. Lyrics play a much less important part of the whole thing for me.

Let's face it, the vast majority of lyrics could be dropped into a few categories anyway. Falling in love, splitting up, god/beliefs, politics and supernatural woo.

Never many songs about astrophysics, geology, biology or science in general are there? Now if someone were to write a song about black hole theory I would maybe take notice (I quite like Muse but their effort doesn't count).

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user