Should I Delete Christian Music?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 11:37 AM
RE: Should I Delete Christian Music?
Can one no longer appreciate the architecture of a cathedral, the colours of a stained glass window, art like The Last Judgment in the Sistine Chapel, just because one isn't a christian?
Of course not.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bad Wolf's post
09-04-2015, 11:40 AM
A good tune is a good tune. That's my attitude to any music, to be honest.
I really don't understand people who look down at others based on their musical preferences.
[+] 1 user Likes Iroscato's post
09-04-2015, 11:49 AM
(09-04-2015 11:37 AM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  Can one no longer appreciate the architecture of a cathedral, the colours of a stained glass window, art like The Last Judgment in the Sistine Chapel, just because one isn't a christian?
Of course not.

No, the only thing that kept me from fully appreciating the Sistine Chapel were the idiot guards who were shouting "SILENCE PLEASE!" through the PA every ten seconds.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
09-04-2015, 11:52 AM
A while back I listened (again) to Amy Grant's "The Collection," with most of her greatest hits, 90 percent Christian. And I don't dislike it. I mean, I can refute the lyrics in a debate, but so what?

There's a particular song, "In a Little While," that often gave me inspiration in times I was feeling at my worst. The song is basically about one day being with God forever. Yeah, it's sugarcoated. But the objective was similar to "don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff." A bad day. Pulled over for a traffic ticket. Nothing but junk mail. Etc. And then you're reminded that in the grand scheme of things, minor inconveniences and bad days are just that -- minor. I no longer believe "In a little while will be with the Father," and I seriously question why an eternity of servitude to a jealous sociopath could be a good thing. But I recognize that's not how the singer sees it. And I appreciate that.

There's a part of me that misses "praising the Lord," because it gave me a good feeling inside. It's not the praising the Lord that I miss. It's that good feeling.

Can secular music do that for me? Sure! Ever listen to "Life in One Day" by Howard Jones? LOVE that song.

Long story short (too late), if you enjoy it and it reminds you of positive thoughts and times in your life, keep it. If it bothers you, toss it. But don't feel like something's wrong with you if you hang onto it. There's probably a memory or two attached to those songs that are compelling you to keep them around. Ask yourself why. And decide what to do based on your answer to that question.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
09-04-2015, 12:13 PM
I know the conversation is more over pure Christian Music but I like i'm sure many people still to listen to Christmas music during the holidays. Which have many mentions of God in them. But listening to Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer doesn't make me believe in flying reindeer. And neither would someone uttering the name Jesus make me believe in a zombie Jew that shoots rainbows out his ass.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
09-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Quote:Should I Delete Christian Music?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-04-2015, 01:02 PM
I mainly listen for the music rather than the lyrics. Some people really respond to the lyrics. But still, when there's a Christian reference in music then it can really grate on my nerves. It can ruin the song for me. A good example is Lorena McKennit's The Mummer's dance when she finishes with "The work of Our Lord's hand". Up to that point the whole thing feels really pagan to me and then she ruins it.

Lyrics don't actually have to mean anything. It's just poetry put to music. You don't read theological debates or reference manuals written as rhyme. Poems work by evoking emotional connotations in the mind of the listener. As far as I am concerned all good art should evoke an emotional reaction in the consumer and lyrics are one tool among many for achieving this.

So it depends on what associations you have with Christian lyrics. We all know Christian indoctrination can be strong, especially when you have been conditioned since childhood. So the associations that you have with Christian music may still work the way they are intended. I don't have any such positive associations which is why I don't like listening to Christian music.

Also what memories are triggered by such lyrics? I actually still love classic metal such as Iron Maiden and Metallica but I can't listen to it any more, not more than a song anyway because it brings me down remembering the bad times I had when I used to listen to such stuff. Where you happy as a Christian or does Christian music remind you of a stage in your life that you would prefer to leave behind?
09-04-2015, 01:17 PM
(08-04-2015 02:42 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  but I hate his songs that imply his jesus bollocks is the truth (A Call to Arms, Of Mice and Men).
Out of curiosity I just read the lyrics to those songs. I didn't find anything preachy, no mention of Jesus. The word Gabriel appeared once, the word "God" was there but in context it was used almost as a swear word.

Whew, I can still listen to the 'Deth, hellaluya
09-04-2015, 09:36 PM
You're not talking Stryper are you????Lol.
Just kidding around with you. Seriously though,the beauty of atheism is that you are no longer commanded under threats or duress by a religion to take any one particular course of action. There will be no 'final' judgement on your choice to either continue listening to Christian music or deleting it. If you enjoy it, then listen to it, if hearing the religious lyrics irk you, then delete it. You are the arbiter and master of your preferences, and that my friend is the splendor of atheism.
09-04-2015, 10:48 PM
(09-04-2015 12:13 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I know the conversation is more over pure Christian Music but I like i'm sure many people still to listen to Christmas music during the holidays. Which have many mentions of God in them. But listening to Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer doesn't make me believe in flying reindeer. And neither would someone uttering the name Jesus make me believe in a zombie Jew that shoots rainbows out his ass.

Cool name dude.

Didn’t know he could do that...makes him more of a Marvel Comic book superhero Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce