Should I Leave the Military Entirely?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Should I Leave the Military Entirely?
Got a few months to decide, at which point I will have to commit to go past the half-way mark, or leave. I've done pretty well for myself - and the pay ain't bad, but hassle of being in is pretty annoying. If you're in a 'leadership position' you work well more than what you get paid for - if you have a family you have to leave them every so often (like me) and you sacrifice certain personal freedoms; no beards, no haircut of your choosing, no marijuana, etc. Besides that the world is becoming increasingly hostile and the odds of me doing another deployment seems likely, which especially sucks if you have a baby on the way. Of course there is personal satisfaction and posterity. I've always had a hard time with this desicion. It's why I left active duty for the the reserves in the first place. If I could secure a better paying job before I left it would help me leave with more ease of mind, but that is certainly far from my only consideration. The longer I am in the more I have to lose. At this point I am all in or all out. FYI I have 8 years in and am in a decent position to make E-7 within the next few years.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2014, 11:37 PM
RE: Should I Leave the Military Entirely?
American?

On your point of future hostilities and deployment, aren't you permanently owned by the government when you sign up? If so doesn't that mean that if they want you to come back they call you back into duty whether you like it or not?

There's the possibility I've pulled that out of my ass.

Also this is not a question for anyone but yourself and your loved ones. The decision remaining yours alone.

Ask yourself these questions and answer honestly. No second guessing yourself.

1) Do you like your job?
2) Do you like what your job could become were you to be deployed?
3) Do you value more or less time with your loved ones?
4) Are you afraid of the real world and the possibility of failure?
5) Do you have any relatable skills that could land you a job in the real world?
6) What do you want to be when you grow old?

Realtable isn't a word apparently but fuck you dictionary you son of a bitch.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
21-10-2014, 12:09 AM
(20-10-2014 11:37 PM)lucradis Wrote:  American?

On your point of future hostilities and deployment, aren't you permanently owned by the government when you sign up? If so doesn't that mean that if they want you to come back they call you back into duty whether you like it or not?

There's the possibility I've pulled that out of my ass.

Also this is not a question for anyone but yourself and your loved ones. The decision remaining yours alone.

Ask yourself these questions and answer honestly. No second guessing yourself.

1) Do you like your job?
2) Do you like what your job could become were you to be deployed?
3) Do you value more or less time with your loved ones?
4) Are you afraid of the real world and the possibility of failure?
5) Do you have any relatable skills that could land you a job in the real world?
6) What do you want to be when you grow old?

Realtable isn't a word apparently but fuck you dictionary you son of a bitch.

I should've clarified since not everyone here knows my life story.

I am a reservist, and I am an American. Used to be Active Duty, but now I generally only do a weekend a month + 2-4 weeks per year, not including deployments. No - it ain't a gang, and not for life. 8 years from initially signing up is the most they can recall you to duty - I will be past that. My military job is mostly low-level management at this point, though on deployments I may actually be hands-on depending on the assignment. I like my core-job. I very much value my time with my loved ones. It is why I am a reservist instead of active-duty. I would say I am a 'real-world' success. Nothing fantastic yet, but I ain't worrying about paying the bills or putting food on the table and I don't owe anyone a dime, but I have not saved enough to buy my own house yet either. I have plenty of skills which I am trying to use to get me a job which I am not over-qualified for. I'm a professional computer/comms nerd. I just wana have a job that allows me to live comfortably while still allowing me to spend time enjoying life.

Also, no need to curse the dictionary. Realtable is not a word, but relatable is a word. Ignore the squiggly line - the spell check ain't perfect.

21-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Ahh yeah I see that it is only if you've been in service for 20 years or more that you can be recalled for life.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2014, 04:02 AM
(20-10-2014 11:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...
if you have a baby on the way.

Ooooh! How did I not know that?!?!? Looks like I missed an announcement

Congrats, ol'd boy! And all that icky luvvy stuff to Smooth, too.

Please give her a big congratulatory sloppy kiss from me.

Clap

21-10-2014, 05:05 AM
(20-10-2014 11:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Got a few months to decide, at which point I will have to commit to go past the half-way mark, or leave. I've done pretty well for myself - and the pay ain't bad, but hassle of being in is pretty annoying. If you're in a 'leadership position' you work well more than what you get paid for - if you have a family you have to leave them every so often (like me) and you sacrifice certain personal freedoms; no beards, no haircut of your choosing, no marijuana, etc. Besides that the world is becoming increasingly hostile and the odds of me doing another deployment seems likely, which especially sucks if you have a baby on the way. Of course there is personal satisfaction and posterity. I've always had a hard time with this desicion. It's why I left active duty for the the reserves in the first place. If I could secure a better paying job before I left it would help me leave with more ease of mind, but that is certainly far from my only consideration. The longer I am in the more I have to lose. At this point I am all in or all out. FYI I have 8 years in and am in a decent position to make E-7 within the next few years.

I figure the answer would come with a series of questions:
Do you enjoy your current work? Is the pay worth it? Do you feel you are going anywhere?

Most importantly, can you actually get better work elsewhere?

Keep in mind, I've never been actually employed so my perspective is probably worth less than a Vietnamese Dong.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-10-2014, 06:41 AM
The future is also a consideration - military retirement is solid, you won't be rich but you have plenty time to add to it once you have qualified and can quit knowing it's there for you, your wife and kid(s). Also, health insurance for you and yours rocks after you retire.

So - how much longer do you have to do this until you qualify for permanent benefits?

The military has been very good to my husband, and very good to me after he died. He put in 20 years and gained 40 years of security after he retired, plus security for me as long as I live. Had we had kids, they would have benefited greatly, too.

Personally, I wouldn't last a day in the military. But many people are fine with the life style, and if you are, it pays off.

It's not just a decision for the present and near future, it's a crucial life time decision. I don't know how much you have invested in this and how much more it would take...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
21-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Congratulations on the bairn to be.

Have you analyzed the retirement benefits of you choices? Those can be quite hefty and kick in pretty early.
21-10-2014, 08:10 AM
It wouldn't hurt to look around and see if there's something that suits you and your family better. I'd be afraid of being sent off to war, but being raised as an army brat did give me the advantage of a free college education. If that's a benefit you'd get upon retirement, your kid(s) will thank you. Though if you died in a war that'd be horrible for your kids.... Hm, decisions.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
21-10-2014, 08:13 AM
next year will be my 30yr high school reunion. I have quite a few friends who went in right after high school, and are now on the retirement plan, in their mid-40's. They are free to pursue what ever they wish knowing there is a safety net.

I wish I would have done it.

You are going to be working all those years anyway, get the bonus out of it. As for kids, deployments will be hard, but IMO, its easier on little ones than teens. Teens understand the risks, etc. Little ones don't and with good support can adjust easily - it just becomes normal for them. kids are quite resilient.

My nephew is an army helicopter pilot, has been deployed quite a few times, has 4-5 kids, they moved to korea for 2 yrs, the kids are ok. Its just their 'normal' to move around. But they are little and flexible.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller