Should I Leave the Military Entirely?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2014, 08:16 AM
RE: Should I Leave the Military Entirely?
(21-10-2014 08:10 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  It wouldn't hurt to look around and see if there's something that suits you and your family better. I'd be afraid of being sent off to war, but being raised as an army brat did give me the advantage of a free college education. If that's a benefit you'd get upon retirement, your kid(s) will thank you. Though if you died in a war that'd be horrible for your kids.... Hm, decisions.

when you are deployed, how risky is your job? Are you on a base or ship and fairly protected or are you out on patrol in the streets?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Is reverting to full active duty a possible choice?

A couple of people have mentioned retirement benefits, but there are other benefits as well, aren't there?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2014, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2014 09:52 AM by yakherder.)
You're going to find that many of the problems you have in the military are just as prevalent, often more so, in a civilian salaried position.

I did my 8 years of active/IRR and, after a little 4 year "get my head back together" stint doing the ESL thing in China, I ultimately returned to the US, trying a few jobs ranging from VIP host in Las Vegas to overseas factory rep for a clothing company, and quickly became so bored out of my mind and restless that I felt compelled to go into the National Guard and start volunteering for deployments just so I could have at least a little piece of that military life back. The military provides a community that just isn't present in the civilian world, and I really found myself missing that.

I currently work in the law enforcement field in Canada as my civilianish job while serving as a cavalry scout in the Vermont National Guard. The civilian job pays three times what I made in the military, yet I still find the stretches between time spent doing the Army thing increasingly unbearable. Deployments or not, if it weren't for my responsibilities to my girlfriend and 3 year old son, with another due next month, I'd be begging to return to active duty. And even as things are, I must admit that, though I feel like an ass hole for it, I find myself eager for word on possible upcoming deployments. Anything for a break in the meaningless grind of the civilian world. Things are going well, by definition, but given the option I'd rather be hunting ISIL or doing humanitarian work in a disaster zone or, well, anything besides the monotony of even a fairly successful civilian life.

Come January, I'm gonna be up in the mountains for a few weeks hiking, climbing, building igloos, training with weapons most people aren't allowed anywhere near, and freaking getting paid to do it. There is no way in hell I'd give that up.

I don't know exactly what you do, but don't assume you'll be any more appreciated doing it for a profit based organization. For every anti military hippie out there is either person who demonizes corporations, government, and all other organizations likely to pay your wage. Regardless of your choice, do it for you. You're gonna have haters no matter what.

There is no black and white right or wrong choice here, though. You've just gotta weigh your options and go with something.

'Murican Canadian
21-10-2014, 09:53 AM
(21-10-2014 09:46 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I currently work in the law enforcement field in Canada as my civilianish job while serving as a cavalry scout in the Vermont National Guard.

How is that possible? Dual citizenship? Consider

21-10-2014, 09:54 AM
(20-10-2014 11:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Got a few months to decide, at which point I will have to commit to go past the half-way mark, or leave. I've done pretty well for myself - and the pay ain't bad, but hassle of being in is pretty annoying. If you're in a 'leadership position' you work well more than what you get paid for - if you have a family you have to leave them every so often (like me) and you sacrifice certain personal freedoms; no beards, no haircut of your choosing, no marijuana, etc. Besides that the world is becoming increasingly hostile and the odds of me doing another deployment seems likely, which especially sucks if you have a baby on the way. Of course there is personal satisfaction and posterity. I've always had a hard time with this desicion. It's why I left active duty for the the reserves in the first place. If I could secure a better paying job before I left it would help me leave with more ease of mind, but that is certainly far from my only consideration. The longer I am in the more I have to lose. At this point I am all in or all out. FYI I have 8 years in and am in a decent position to make E-7 within the next few years.

What does your wife say? I mean this isn't really your choice alone...yanno?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-10-2014, 09:59 AM
(21-10-2014 09:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-10-2014 09:46 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I currently work in the law enforcement field in Canada as my civilianish job while serving as a cavalry scout in the Vermont National Guard.

How is that possible? Dual citizenship? Consider

I'm not quite a citizen of Canada yet, but I do have family based residency and a work permit. I was living in Nevada and, upon moving from Nevada to Quebec, I was transferred to the Vermont National Guard. It's a couple hours away to get to my unit, but they don't care about me being a resident of Canada, provided I don't mind them giving me shit about it.

'Murican Canadian
21-10-2014, 10:02 AM
(21-10-2014 09:59 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(21-10-2014 09:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  How is that possible? Dual citizenship? Consider

I'm not quite a citizen of Canada yet, but I do have family based residency and a work permit. I was living in Nevada and, upon moving from Nevada to Quebec, I was transferred to the Vermont National Guard. It's a couple hours away to get to my unit, but they don't care about me being a resident of Canada, provided I don't mind them giving me shit about it.

Interesting.

Sûreté du Québec?

21-10-2014, 10:08 AM
(21-10-2014 10:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  Sûreté du Québec?

Nah, that part gets even more complicated, and on a public forum, in this day and age, I'd rather just leave it at law enforcement Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
21-10-2014, 10:11 AM
I think after years of service you deserve the benefits. If it means staying longer to secure that..thats what you do. But ultimately, you have to decide what job you want. Depending on your MOS you should get an idea if you can get a non military job in the civilian world.
I wish you the best of luck with the decision. Im sure it's not an easy one.
Thank you for your service!!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
21-10-2014, 04:17 PM
One of my son's friends went Army National Guard. He did some pretty solid time serving in Iraq and Afghanistan and was faced with the decision of staying in or not. He ended up landing a recruiting gig and is full time NG now. Though he still has his drill times and could well end up deployed again, he seems to have a pretty good deal going.

Is full time guard or reserve an option in your area and your field?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat