Should I Leave the Military Entirely?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2014, 04:32 PM
RE: Should I Leave the Military Entirely?
I am not interested in being regular active duty to doing this full time. Being in the military while trying to have a successful family/marriage is extremely difficult for most, impossible for many more. Being gone for months or years at a time and constantly moving, forcing your spouse to find a new job every few years is the biggest cons, but by far not the only ones. The pros do not outweigh the cons if you're a family man IMO. The adventure and excitement can be fun, but it certainly comes with a heavy cost even if you dismiss personal safety and comfort.

Being a reservist gives me a handful of adventure from time to time, and allows me to travel with some benefits, primarily cheap healthcare. The pay is good all things considered. My biggest fear is winding back in the middle-east or eastern Europe in the coming years with a wife an child at home - not to mention the mental scars from the previous deployment.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Just wait a year or two and than you can come work for me.
You'll be new entry so you'll have to start at the bottom of course, but if you work hard and you keep your nose down I'm sure you could make it up the chain to somewhere around the middle before I finally push you out for getting too old and useless.

[Image: oscar.png]
21-10-2014, 05:17 PM
(21-10-2014 05:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just wait a year or two and than you can come work for me.
You'll be new entry so you'll have to start at the bottom of course, but if you work hard and you keep your nose down I'm sure you could make it up the chain to somewhere around the middle before I finally push you out for getting too old and useless.

How could anyone refuse as generous an offer as that?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-10-2014, 05:38 PM
(21-10-2014 05:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just wait a year or two and than you can come work for me.

You really think I could make it all the way from delivery boy to cash register operator?!

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
21-10-2014, 07:06 PM
(21-10-2014 05:38 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  

You really think I could make it all the way from delivery boy to cash register operator?!

I believe in you.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
21-10-2014, 07:10 PM
(21-10-2014 07:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(21-10-2014 05:38 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  You really think I could make it all the way from delivery boy to cash register operator?!

I believe in you.

Credulity does not become you.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
21-10-2014, 07:36 PM
I was being polite.

21-10-2014, 08:38 PM
(21-10-2014 07:36 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I was being polite.

Credulity doesn't become me either.

22-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Have you considered civil service? Not sure what service you are in but I know the Navy is doing quite a bit of hiring lately, and they're hurting for software/tech people. Do you have any type of degree? If not there are plenty of civil service jobs that don't require a degree and even value your military experience, and you'd even qualify for a "veterans preference" to get hired (cut in line basically). Just pick an area you'd want to live in and look on USAjobs for openings, there's a TON. Sure it's boring work, but do you know what a flex schedule is? 80 hours for 2 weeks, every other weekend has Friday off, working Fri is a regular 8 hour day and Mon-Thurs are 9 hour days. Pretty damned awesome I must say... I kind of hate my current job in the government but there's some pretty awesome perks that keep me here.

Also, AFAIK your time in the military transfers to your civilian retirement plan. It's a cake job for former military. Let me know if you want more information.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
22-10-2014, 09:39 PM
(22-10-2014 04:45 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  Have you considered civil service? Not sure what service you are in but I know the Navy is doing quite a bit of hiring lately, and they're hurting for software/tech people. Do you have any type of degree? If not there are plenty of civil service jobs that don't require a degree and even value your military experience, and you'd even qualify for a "veterans preference" to get hired (cut in line basically). Just pick an area you'd want to live in and look on USAjobs for openings, there's a TON. Sure it's boring work, but do you know what a flex schedule is? 80 hours for 2 weeks, every other weekend has Friday off, working Fri is a regular 8 hour day and Mon-Thurs are 9 hour days. Pretty damned awesome I must say... I kind of hate my current job in the government but there's some pretty awesome perks that keep me here.

Also, AFAIK your time in the military transfers to your civilian retirement plan. It's a cake job for former military. Let me know if you want more information.

Yes, I do want more info. FYI, I am Navy. I am an IT (Info. Sys. Tech.) Right now I am a contractor for the gov, but looking to move on to bigger things. No degree - but I did go to a tech school before hand (College in British terms I have recently learned) and have a diploma in addition to a couple of certs (Sec +, ITIL) and my Navy IT schools (IT "A" school, a short UNIX Admin school, and some bullshit proprietary stuff that is already being phased out of the Navy). PM me if you want.