Should I Leave the Military Entirely?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 07:46 PM
RE: Should I Leave the Military Entirely?
(20-10-2014 11:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  At this point I am all in or all out. FYI I have 8 years in and am in a decent position to make E-7 within the next few years.

The rule of thumb for us civvies is that 10 years in you gonna be better off sticking it out for 20 or 30 because of the retirement and pension benefits. Which are now pretty much unheard of outside civil and military service. So there's that.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-10-2014, 08:00 PM
(23-10-2014 07:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 11:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  At this point I am all in or all out. FYI I have 8 years in and am in a decent position to make E-7 within the next few years.

The rule of thumb for us civvies is that 10 years in you gonna be better off sticking it out for 20 or 30 because of the retirement and pension benefits. Which are now pretty much unheard of outside civil and military service. So there's that.

Very true. I'm near the hump, but ain't over it yet. If I do I minimum 3 year re-up I'll be past the point where it makes much sense to pack my bags.

23-10-2014, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 08:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-10-2014 09:39 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 04:45 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  Have you considered civil service? Not sure what service you are in but I know the Navy is doing quite a bit of hiring lately, and they're hurting for software/tech people. Do you have any type of degree? If not there are plenty of civil service jobs that don't require a degree and even value your military experience, and you'd even qualify for a "veterans preference" to get hired (cut in line basically). Just pick an area you'd want to live in and look on USAjobs for openings, there's a TON. Sure it's boring work, but do you know what a flex schedule is? 80 hours for 2 weeks, every other weekend has Friday off, working Fri is a regular 8 hour day and Mon-Thurs are 9 hour days. Pretty damned awesome I must say... I kind of hate my current job in the government but there's some pretty awesome perks that keep me here.

Also, AFAIK your time in the military transfers to your civilian retirement plan. It's a cake job for former military. Let me know if you want more information.

Yes, I do want more info. FYI, I am Navy. I am an IT (Info. Sys. Tech.) Right now I am a contractor for the gov, but looking to move on to bigger things. No degree - but I did go to a tech school before hand (College in British terms I have recently learned) and have a diploma in addition to a couple of certs (Sec +, ITIL) and my Navy IT schools (IT "A" school, a short UNIX Admin school, and some bullshit proprietary stuff that is already being phased out of the Navy). PM me if you want.

Excellent advice MustangSally. And milk your clearance. If you're capable of acquiring a TS/SCI clearance, which you obviously are 'cause you're too embarrassed to even open your eyes when you're taking a piss, you should seriously consider applying for jobs at those OGA's which shall not be named. Best job for life you'll find.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post