Should I care that I'm Being Offensive?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2014, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 12:29 PM by aquagirl0720.)
Question Should I care that I'm Being Offensive?
Today I called my (non-religious) parents and the first thing my Dad said to me was that he wanted to talk to me about the quote in my email signature. He thinks it is a "jab" and offensive to people that attend church, and I'm probably offending my friends. He went on about this for a few minutes. I stated that when I email someone my resume for a job application, I delete the quote. I also asked him if he thought it was appropriate for my friends to invite me to attend church with them, knowing I'm an atheist. He replied "Yes, you can just say you don't want to go."

I've used a couple different quotes but this is what I currently have:
"We shouldn't even need the word 'atheism.' If people didn't invent ridiculous imaginary gods, rational people wouldn't have to deny them." -Ricky Gervais

I can definitely see how believers would be offended by that quote, but I really don't care. I've been an atheist pretty much my entire life, and all of my friends and family know this. In the last few months I have become more "active" about being an atheist (I didn't used to have an atheist quote as an email signature.) One of the recent events that triggered this was visiting my best friend (who lives in another city) and realizing she has become a total jesus freak. She was never very religious and religion was hardly ever discussed. On this most recent visit she said "I don't understand how people are allowed to murder babies" and asked me to go to church twice (nagging me after I had already refused.) She also stated one of her boyfriend's "PROs" was that he "is religious and has good morals" -- said as he's dumping her via the "ignore her til she gets the message" method. (Ah, those good christian values... they really teach you how to treat other people with kindness and respect! Facepalm )

I guess the point of this post is that I am pissed and needed to vent. It really bothers me that it's socially acceptable for religious people to shove it in your face constantly but the moment I put an atheist quote on my email signature, I'm called out for being offensive. Should I leave the quote? Change it to a less-offensive atheist quote? Remove it entirely?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like aquagirl0720's post
05-06-2014, 08:19 PM
RE: Should I care that I'm Being Offensive?
As much as you don't want those preachers have you sit there for an hour and listen to their gospels, don't use this quote in your email signature, as long as your email receivers including quite some potential religious believers, so that next time you can proudly say to those who preach that you have respected their belief, so should they.

[Image: bee3ef62gw1ef7z6wt3cxg201e01eq38.gif]

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
05-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Do whatever you want. If you don't mind, I don't mind. Plenty of people have bible verses as their signature, what's the difference? You could always just choose one of the more offensive bible verses, if you were so inclined to make a change.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 7 users Like Colourcraze's post
06-06-2014, 12:02 AM
(05-06-2014 05:14 PM)aquagirl0720 Wrote:  I guess the point of this post is that I am pissed and needed to vent. It really bothers me that it's socially acceptable for religious people to shove it in your face constantly but the moment I put an atheist quote on my email signature, I'm called out for being offensive.
Your Pop is just being your Pop - he's protective - he's probably gotten hassled for his own atheist views and doesn't want you to have to go through the same crap. Don't worry about it. One day he'll realize you're trying to make a bit of a different world than the one he was forced to live in. Wink

You are right to keep personal statements out of your professional correspondence but... if this is your personal email, I don't see it being offensive at all. I don't mind the quote at all but, if you feel like changing it up for a simpler statement, how bout something like "Faith Free Zone" or something similarly innocuous. Thumbsup
[Image: demand.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
06-06-2014, 12:28 AM
You could always go with:

Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car.
- Garrison Keillor

When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, There's just something about you that pisses me off.

- Stephen King

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.

- Charles Bukowski

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.
- Mark Twain

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.
- Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 5 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
09-06-2014, 05:07 AM
Fuck them!

It is your signature.

Religious people demand respect for foolish behavior. Are you willing to support them in this?

My quote is "I am an Australian and I have no manners."
Lt Col Oswald Watt. Royal Australian flying corps.

He said it to some English General who did not like his attitude. The Royal Australian Air Force wears it as a badge of honour. And Watt became Air Vice Marshall of that force. The world's second airforce.

What do you think Watt would have said to your dad?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-06-2014, 04:30 PM
It's your e-mail. Use whatever quotes you wish. If people don't like it, so what?
15-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Do as you wish, it's your signature and you picked it for a reason.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
16-06-2014, 04:22 AM
Offense is such a weak argument. Who gives a fuck. Everything you say is going to offend someone, somewhere. If you like one sports team, someone is gonna be offended that you like their rivals. If you hold one view, someone is gonna be offended that you oppose their view.

Be what you are and tell the world to fuck itself. They'll get offended by that, too, and then you can tell them again. It's good times. Smile

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-06-2014, 04:49 AM
My dad is a paratrooper. He's particularly fond of telling a story where he jumped during a training exercise with Korean ROC marines.

He'd start off telling you how much being a paratrooper sucked and how hard he thought he had it, and finish off with a story about a practice jump during the Vietnam war, where a ROC lost a button on his uniform during the jump.

After the jump, when the paratroopers and ROC marines had formed rank and file, his CO inspected his uniform, found a button missing, and hit the ROC marine so hard it knocked several teeth loose, and left him drooling blood when he recovered his feet and stood at attention.

And yet I'm sure there's someone out there who's suffered something awful because your email signature offended them.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes