Should I do a degree at my age?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 02:37 AM
Should I do a degree at my age?
I'm 45 and pretty dissatisfied with my, albeit fairly well paid, admin job. Admin is quite possibly the dullest thing to do day in day out. I have been in my current job for 13 years and it has served me well in that I have raised a daughter on my own and brought a house on the back of it. But I have reached a point where I feel stuck. The problem I have is that the only real skills I can sell to a prospective new employer are admin skills and that is what I no longer want to do.

So I am looking for something more fulfilling to do while I am stuck here and looking for something else. I already have a foundation degree which I have done with The Open University (a home study uni based in the UK which is very well regarded) but it is not a focussed degree but an open one. Which means over the years I have done courses which have added up to enough credits for a foundation degree but not in any particular subject. I mainly did these as I enjoyed studying but never really had one thing I wanted to focus on.

Now I am thinking about doing another with The OU, although this time an BA (Hons) in International Studies.

My apprehension is this will take me 6 years to complete as it will be part time to fit around work, so I'll be 51-52 when I complete it and it will cost me £15,000. I am wondering if I can justify this at my time of life and whether I will be able to put it to use in the real world after completion as I'll be closer to retirement age than most job applicants?

If I won the lottery tomorrow I would just enrol without any apprehension and do it for the love of studying but unfortunately finances are an issue and if I am to spend all that cash it would need to pay for itself in the future otherwise I'm just an administrator with an International Studies BA and £15,000 less cash.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2015, 05:44 AM
RE: Should I do a degree at my age?
If you are dissatisfied with your current situation then you will need to change something. I have found that personal growth (degrees, training certificates, etc) have been the key to my promotions. If I would have stuck with what I had started with I would still be in the same job making the same money and I would most likely be miserable.

Will a degree in International Studies get you where you want to go?
[+] 1 user Likes ohio_drg's post
26-06-2015, 05:53 AM
(26-06-2015 05:44 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  If you are dissatisfied with your current situation then you will need to change something. I have found that personal growth (degrees, training certificates, etc) have been the key to my promotions. If I would have stuck with what I had started with I would still be in the same job making the same money and I would most likely be miserable.

Will a degree in International Studies get you where you want to go?

I agree. A degree could bring in more money. I don't think it's ever too late to start living your dreams. Plus, it sounds like you love learning. In my opinion, education is never a waste of time or money.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-06-2015, 06:04 AM
The question is, at your age, what have you done for your retirement? Ideally, you have 15 years to secure yourself and then you can study and do whatever you want for the next 20 years.

The other issue is that you will be hard up to secure a new job in a different field at 50, or you would be in the US. Not sure about the UK.

So, before you embark on an expensive venture to change job orientation, you need to figure on not working in that field after that. In the US, it is even hard to find a new job after 50, period. Never mind a new field.

Basically, what life in this society is like, is the first half of your life you work for offspring. When that is done, then you spend 25 years securing your retirement. that leaves you some 15 years to do whatever you want, health permitting.

The temptation to shake that up is huge. Be it a change of career, or be it an attempt to retire early, there are certainly better ways to proceed.

A change of career - sure, it has been done, and done successfully. But, in the UK, what are the realistic chances of finding employment in a new field after 50? You need to research that, and specifically in the field you would like to enter.

Conversely, what are the chances of an early retirement if you embark on an aggressive savings program?

Also, what are the chances of turning a hobby into a side income? Or just finding something fun to do for money on the side?

At your stage of life, money does have to feature prominently. There is nothing more miserable than a retirement in poverty. And your time is running short.

If you can afford the tuition and still take care of retirement, more power to you. If not, can you learn without the tuition?
If not, what else would make you happy?

This is one of the bigger life decisions, make sure you have done all the research, and maybe even lined up opportunities.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
26-06-2015, 06:17 AM
You're only too old to learn, when you start to decompose.................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-06-2015, 07:10 AM
I wonder if it's possible for you to move into an admin job in the field you hope to pursue, so that you can see firsthand what the work and people are like (and also maybe get an edge on employment opportunities). If it's a field of study that really interests you, then pursuing a degree in it is probably worthwhile. But it's true that your age when you finish may indeed make it harder to find a job, and the pay differential might not be enough, and it might turn out that the new job is not as interesting as you thought.
Does your employer have a program to pay part or all of college tuition for its workers? Some companies in the US do that. If so, then definitely go for the degree and see what happens.
26-06-2015, 07:28 AM
(26-06-2015 06:17 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You're only too old to learn, when you start to decompose.................

And even then, you are sort of learning how to do that.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
26-06-2015, 08:03 AM
In my first year teaching in college, I had a 50ish year old female student taking introductory chemistry. She had a degree already (I forget in what) but needed to take the premed science classes. She got the high grade in the class and went on to medical school, residency, and she is currently still practicing in her early 70s because she loves what she is doing.

In my experience, older students tend to be pretty focused and tend to do pretty well. When I teach the big organic class, roughly 6-8 of the top grades are from older students when they are only a small percentage of the class (not to say that there aren't outstanding younger students, there certainly are). It seems to me you can do it Eva, and if it is moving you into something you love to do, more power to you!
[+] 3 users Like Iñigo's post
26-06-2015, 08:09 AM
By all means, never stop learning! If you truly have a love of learning and are passionate about the field in which you desire a degree, then find a way. What good is comfort without joy? I'm not saying throw common sense out the window, but I firmly believe you should pursue your passions. Go ahead and begin to look plan for what you will do after you get the new degree. If you can't find a job, then can you start your own business? Work as a consultant? Get involved in politics or use the knowledge you gain to start a charity, a think-tank, or a non-profit working to resolve issues that are meaningful to you. Take inventory of the skills you have honed as an admin and the knowledge you have have gained through your previous studies. You will be surprised at what you might truly be capable of!!! Go for it!!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
26-06-2015, 08:26 AM
(26-06-2015 02:37 AM)Eva Wrote:  I'm 45 and pretty dissatisfied with my, albeit fairly well paid, admin job. Admin is quite possibly the dullest thing to do day in day out. I have been in my current job for 13 years and it has served me well in that I have raised a daughter on my own and brought a house on the back of it. But I have reached a point where I feel stuck. The problem I have is that the only real skills I can sell to a prospective new employer are admin skills and that is what I no longer want to do.

So I am looking for something more fulfilling to do while I am stuck here and looking for something else. I already have a foundation degree which I have done with The Open University (a home study uni based in the UK which is very well regarded) but it is not a focussed degree but an open one. Which means over the years I have done courses which have added up to enough credits for a foundation degree but not in any particular subject. I mainly did these as I enjoyed studying but never really had one thing I wanted to focus on.

Now I am thinking about doing another with The OU, although this time an BA (Hons) in International Studies.

My apprehension is this will take me 6 years to complete as it will be part time to fit around work, so I'll be 51-52 when I complete it and it will cost me £15,000. I am wondering if I can justify this at my time of life and whether I will be able to put it to use in the real world after completion as I'll be closer to retirement age than most job applicants?

If I won the lottery tomorrow I would just enrol without any apprehension and do it for the love of studying but unfortunately finances are an issue and if I am to spend all that cash it would need to pay for itself in the future otherwise I'm just an administrator with an International Studies BA and £15,000 less cash.

A counselor friend of mine told one of his clients, "In six years you can either have a degree or not - the six years are going to pass regardless."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post