Should I do a degree at my age?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 09:46 AM
RE: Should I do a degree at my age?
I'd vote no on the degree unless you want to get into STEM, accounting, law, etc and don't plan on ever retiring altogether or if someone else is paying for it.

International Studies sounds interesting, but not necessarily marketable.

I also get the impression that you're not entirely sure what you'd like to do other than admin work, but haven't identified what that is. Is that accurate?

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
26-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Go for it! It's never too late to study and learn something new, especially as you enjoy studying.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
26-06-2015, 10:28 AM
(26-06-2015 09:46 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I'd vote no on the degree unless you want to get into STEM, accounting, law, etc and don't plan on ever retiring altogether or if someone else is paying for it.

International Studies sounds interesting, but not necessarily marketable.

I also get the impression that you're not entirely sure what you'd like to do other than admin work, but haven't identified what that is. Is that accurate?

Just to be clear, I'm totally in favor of lifetime learning and changing directions career wise.

I'm just questioning whether a formal degree is the best way to do it. If it was me, I'd look for a skill that's in demand and hard to learn. Then I'd spend evenings and weekends learning how to do it and looking for freelance/moonlighting type opportunities to get experience to smooth the transition or find ways to add it to my current skillset.

For example, learning to speak Mandarin Chinese would probably cost less and be more useful than a degree in International Studies, and you could use some of the £15,000 you saved to pay for trip to China to practice your skills. Smile

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
26-06-2015, 01:26 PM
I'm 46 and have had the same battle. Aging sucks. But I do know plenty of people that made job and career changes after 40 and after 50 so don't listen to the, "you're too old," crap. I just recently quit my job so that I can start a business. I am fortunate that my husband is willing to support me financially during this transition. The decision to do this took seven years but I finally realized that I can always get another crappy job. I don't want to look back and regret settling for my crappy day job. It's my turn. I disagree with those who say the first half of your career is for your kids and the second half is for your retirement. And retirement is when you get to do what you want. BALONEY! I have an autoimmune disease and will most likely be too crippled to do much of anything when I retire. Nobody can count on the future. To me that is part of being an atheist. This is it. Why settle? Live now.
26-06-2015, 01:34 PM
You have to weigh many variables. I would take more of an analytical approach, it's just how i'm wired.

How much money will the degree set you back?
-What you would be earning if going from FT to PT to obtain said degree
-Cost of going back to school, supplies, trapper keeper, pens etc. Tongue

What is your expected ROI (return on investment)?
-What will you make when you are done
-What is the break-even point (in years) of your investment (when are you not in the red?)

How happy will you be with your new degree, new position (assuming in our market that you can obtain and retain).

How will it affect your retirement?

Best of luck to you!!!

**Crickets** -- God
26-06-2015, 02:14 PM
If the question is: "Should I get a degree at my age", the answer is "why not?" .

If the question is: "Should I spend 15,000 on a degree at my age?" - well, that answer can't be given until you research earning potential.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Aging may suck.

But

It beats the alternative.

Which is decomposition.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
26-06-2015, 04:02 PM
I went to college, finally, at the age of 52. It took my five years going part time (the whole cancer mess didn't help me) and I am damn proud of the work and I loved the school experience.

My dad's lady friend got her degree in Psychology when she was well into her 60s.

Keep that brain working! It's the best thing you can do to keep it sharp.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
27-06-2015, 04:42 AM
Thanks all for your collective advice. TBH at this stage I have no idea whether to do it or not. All I know is a need to move on to something as I feel as though I'm stagnating. I am looking for another job but most admin jobs don't pay as much as the one I'm in so it's highly likely i'll stay where I am and if I do I have to do something to stop pre-death brain decomposition. I have a lot of thinking to do.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
27-06-2015, 05:22 AM
Is your goal getting a degree? or getting a higher paying job?

are you set on the International aspect or are you open to a completely different field if it pays well?

If its money, then learn a skill- a language, a technical skill, computer programming, etc. I have found learning any new skill is fun and rewarding, and if you can turn it into a well paying job then it just becomes more enjoyable.

if its more the desire to know more about this particular topic- then go the degree route where studying in depth.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller