Should I even try?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Should I even try?
I've been having a back-and-forth with this user who commented on one of my videos and I keep refuting what he claims to know about evolution... but is it even worth it?

Here are the comments on the video.

What do you think?

And if you feel like it, please sub to me. ;D

"Science is interesting, if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
Go to my youtube channel and subscribe please!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2011, 04:04 PM
RE: Should I even try?
Quote:@PaleoSteno But thats DNA mutating into something usefull. Forgive me if im rude, But as I see it its because of the lack of evidence evolutionists have to fall back on the idea that *maybe* just maybe 100,00,000,000 years ago life sprouted from nothing (spontaneous generation) and mutated into what we see today. Because of this unclear position its now in, a huge amout of evidence is needed to disprove/prove evolution. It will take life times to find the proof, so thats why neither side tries.

The idiot doesn't know the difference between evolution and abiogenesis. Enough said..

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
20-07-2011, 04:58 PM
No, I don't even bother anymore. I just wait for the day I can vote for the guy that is campaigning for the sterilization of anyone who believe in creationism.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 2 users Like NotSoVacuous's post
20-07-2011, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2011 06:13 PM by blasphemy fan.)
(20-07-2011 03:32 PM)Paleo Wrote:  What do you think?

Quote:DNA can't add DNA to its self its impossible, evolution requires the DNA to change into and grow (which cant happen) into more DNA. DNA can change very slighty but only within its gene pool. Im sorry I wasted your time with all that other stuff when I could of said this. (Please don't say it could of mutated.)

Duh!!!!!!!! Yes it can mutate!
Has this i... individual ever read a book on this subject? Rolleyes

Quote:No there is no way I, nor anyone, can prove the bible. But I know that neither can Evolution. Personally, im jealous of you guys. It takes a hell of a lot more faith to believe in Evolution than a God.

OK, I get it now... Nature has been lying to us all along! Tongue

Quote:We may have a lot more fossils then Darwins time but we still dont have the links. Acording to Darwin, evolution is a very slow step by step process that will take maney years to even see a slight change. If that is so, then there should be evidence all around us. The thing is that there is none, we may find 2 or 3 fossils that fit in but what happend to the other 50,000 creatures that we should be seeing?

Did he not already talk about how it requires certain conditions for fossils to form? Confused

Quote:You do know that evolution had to start? You cant have evolution without spontaneous generation. Oh and Evolution is not a fact, science can only get it to the theory stage.

I'm amazed you didn't ask him if it hurts when he tries to think. Big Grin

I can't take any more!

(20-07-2011 04:58 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  No, I don't even bother anymore. I just wait for the day I can vote for the guy that is campaigning for the sterilization of anyone who believe in creationism.

That may be our last hope of ending the stupidity! Confused

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/fuck.asp
Under Old England's laws, a single person was not allowed to "breed" without the consent of the king. If a couple wanted to have a baby, they had to get consent from the king. They would be given a "placard" that they had to attach to the outside of their door when they were intimate. The placard had the inscription;

"F.U.C.K." - Fornication Under Consent of King

Perhaps we should start imposing these laws on "them" before they do it to US !!!

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
20-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Paleo, ask yourself one question. Why am I trying to argue with someone who shares ancestors with monkeys...

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
20-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Yikes, I think you did your best as is (including correcting him on the science definition of the word "theory", so many people don't know that that word has more than one meaning, that made me very happy! Honestly though, in order to stop confusion of the term by idiots, they might want to change the term "theory" to "fact")

But I think you're talking to a rock here. Hey, here's a joke! How is a rock like a creationist? Neither one can think for themselves!

I like how creationists are fine with god poofing everything into existence, yet the idea of molecules forming gradually and making a cell due to the laws of chemistry and physics is just beyond them. I think he's seeing how stupid he has to be before you give up (if he's messing with you, I don't think he is though, scarily enough). I suppose all we can really do is be happy that we kept on learning after 5th grade.

"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
~Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
21-07-2011, 04:26 AM
Arguing with a creationist is like playing chess with a pigeon...
You will make the correct moves but he will knock over the pieces, shit on the chessboard, fly off to claim a victory...

No Paleo...
After two or three moves i think it's clear that you can spend your time better with your study instead of trying to talk sense into this Idiotndividual.

Regular science get results in the form of medical treatment, Innovative devices and cures.
And what did creationism got us? Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
21-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Here is a rule of thumb for deciding whether to try:

After two exchanges, match the key words in you posts and hir posts. If the definitions you assume are widely different, dialogue is impossible.
If you have corrected an error of fact, word usage or logical sequence, and s/he repeats the same usage, you're talking to a wall.
If there is a cement floor to their argument - that is, a concept on which they base all their arguments, and on which they will not budge, you're wasting your time.

On the up-side, every hopeless, circular debate is practice*: you're sharpening your own skill and learning their tactics.
(*for the election campaign?)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
23-07-2011, 04:08 AM
Best thing for you is to stop arguing with him. Let him life the life of misery in his imaginary world. You will only frustrate yourself and he will never learn, so you are just waisting you time.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
27-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Personally I'd say go for it Big Grin

Then again I find debating quite interesting and talking to these types of people really makes you hone your skills.
The important thing would be not to think you can win though, no matter how much evidence you put forth the creationist will always find at least one way of putting forth how you have made a logic fallacy or give you some "evidence" that some dude who calls himself a scientist has been able to show that your idea is just not correct...

As I said in my post in the introduction thread I happened to get involved in a debate like this on failblog (which has a marginally better system for commenting then youtube but still quite atrocious) where I months after people had had a long discussion just wanted to thank one guy with a lot of patience for standing up for science. Of course the creationist had email notifications so he started talking to me instead... I enjoy it, I know I haven't said the smartest or best things throughout our discussion but it is still ongoing and I learn a lot from it.
http://failbook.failblog.org/2010/12/22/...-facts-ftw
The original post (someone's faceook status) is still really good.

Another reason I get involved in these discussions is for the third person reader. I know I'm not going to convince the person I'm talking to about anything but for someone reading the discussion afterwards who hasn't quite made up his mind it might be possible to at least show them there's an alternative to this creationism.

As a side note, I like to give this link to people who start talking about "just a theory" :-)
http://notjustatheory.com/

Take care and if you decide to debate this guy remember to have fun while doing it, otherwise you'll just get frustrated and angry which won't make anyone happy :-)