Should I feel guilty for eating at chick fil a?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2015, 04:04 AM
RE: Should I feel guilty for eating at chick fil a?
(31-08-2015 07:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Keep posting. A list is being made. Evil_monster

Keeping McCarthyism alive eh?

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2015, 04:58 AM
I've never been to a CFA. I have no idea if there's one in my state. And I don't like chicken sandwiches. Avoiding CFA is extremely low-effort for me.

I don't have a problem supporting businesses owned and operated by Christians or other religious people. On the other hand, if I know that the business's funds have been used to contribute to hate groups like the Family Research Council, then I'll try to avoid that business. According to the news stories I read, CFA has donated corporate money as well as the owners' personal funds to groups working to oppose civil rights, so it's on my personal avoid list, but I don't oppose other people going there.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
01-09-2015, 05:10 AM
(01-09-2015 04:04 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(31-08-2015 07:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Keep posting. A list is being made. Evil_monster

Keeping McCarthyism alive eh?

I thought that that was that Trump dude. Huh

living word
01-09-2015, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 07:43 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
It comes down to a matter of competing values, for me.

As Julep pointed out, if a company provides funding for "charity" organizations that have an anti-civil-rights component, then I will purposefully avoid them. The evidence of CFA's participation in such organizations is sketchy, as far as I am aware. Back in 2004-05, a member of SOMA (atheist org in town) did a report on various Christian companies, in that regard, and found that CFA was not one of the big offenders, though Dominos was.

On the other hand, they also do a lot of highly-ethical stuff on behalf of their employees, like paying for educational programs, not operating during their religious holidays (and not requiring others of differing faiths to work on their holy days), etc. From what I have seen, KFC goes out of their way to avoid unethical practices, and the religion of their leadership has a positive influence of the behavior of the corporation.

Even the whole gay "controversy" had to do with the leader expressing his personal opinion about gays, and not corporate policy. They did not have discriminatory policies, and showed they didn't. Further, they came out with immediate and very strong statements against such discriminatory policies, even though the law did not prohibit them from discriminating (a major problem in the USA, frankly). So I'd venture to say that, on the balance, KFC CFA is a pretty good corporation, as those go, and I'd rather buy from an overall-ethical Christian company with strongly-stated values than an amoral/unethical company which is likely to be up to any shady shit from which it feels it can profit.

(Edited to repair idiocy of putting wrong chicken-company letters in the sentence. Posting too early after wake-up, and pre-coffee.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-09-2015, 07:07 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 08:10 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
Nah, I love chik fil-a, it is the ONLY fast food I will eat as I can identify the food as being actual food.

We have a local restaurant chain here called "cook out"...and it has cheap food, standard fast food fare...burgers, hotdogs, shakes, fries....anyway, there is always a line wrapped around the building and overfilled parking lot (like Chik-fil-a incidentally) and I finally gave in to curiosity. I wouldn't go back there for free money in a bag. Chi-fil-a has Christian owners, who refuse to be open on sunday, serve high quality food, pay their employees well and generally run a respectable business...all of which I admire, there isn't a cross on the wall, and Christian propaganda everywhere in chik-fil-a, so I could care less what the owner's religious beliefs are.

Now the "Cook Out" smacks you in the face....EVERY thing has scripture on it, the cups, the wrappers, the napkins...walls decorated with jesus BS...it truly is sickening...I couldnt leave fast enough. If Chik-fil-a was like that, I wouldn't eat there, but it isn't so I do Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
01-09-2015, 07:14 AM
(01-09-2015 06:48 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It comes down to a matter of competing values, for me.

How did CFA become KFC? Is that you doing calculus again? Tongue

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-09-2015, 07:41 AM
(01-09-2015 07:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(01-09-2015 06:48 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It comes down to a matter of competing values, for me.

How did CFA become KFC? Is that you doing calculus again? Tongue

Laugh out load Missed that! That's what I get for posting so early in the morning after a long night. Only reason I'm even awake right now is I got up so my son could call me from the bus stop so I could wish him Happy Birthday. (Today my son turned 9.)

Yeah, I meant CFA not KFC. Good grief! Fixed.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
01-09-2015, 07:46 AM
(01-09-2015 07:07 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Nah, I love chik fil-a, it is the ONLY fast food I will eat as I can identify the food as being actual food.

We have a local restaurant here called "cook out"...and it has cheap food, standard fast food fare...burgers, hotdogs, shakes, fries....anyway, there is always a line wrapped around the building and overfilled parking lot (like Chik-fil-a incidentally) and I finally gave in to curiosity. I wouldn't go back there for free money in a bag. Chi-fil-a has Christian owners, who refuse to be open on sunday, serve high quality food, pay their employees well and generally run a respectable business...all of which I admire, there isn't a cross on the wall, and Christian propaganda everywhere in chik-fil-a, so I could care less what the owner's religious beliefs are.

Now the "Cook Out" smacks you in the face....EVERY thing has scripture on it, the cups, the wrappers, the napkins...walls decorated with jesus BS...it truly is sickening...I couldnt leave fast enough. If Chik-fil-a was like that, I wouldn't eat there, but it isn't so I do Smile

We have a similar chicken place here in Sikeston, Jesus-stuff everywhere, and packed by "godly folk" supporting their local fundies. Decent chicken, there, but I won't be back.

Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be worth going "all in", and as an atheist opening a place that exploits the religious in that way. As it was recently phrased, "Thar be gold in them rubes!"

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
01-09-2015, 07:48 AM
(01-09-2015 07:41 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(01-09-2015 07:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  How did CFA become KFC? Is that you doing calculus again? Tongue

Laugh out load Missed that! That's what I get for posting so early in the morning after a long night. Only reason I'm even awake right now is I got up so my son could call me from the bus stop so I could wish him Happy Birthday. (Today my son turned 9.)

Yeah, I meant CFA not KFC. Good grief! Fixed.

Happy Birthday little rocket.

[Image: DH21.jpg]

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-09-2015, 08:00 AM
I have a dear friend who is queerer than a $3 bill (his words) and he and I love going to CFA. We call it "hate chicken" and I'll pretend to be his boyfriend sometimes when we go. We've never been treated poorly by the staff, just some disapproving looks by some customers.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post