Should I learn Latin and/or Ancient Greek?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2015, 01:28 AM
RE: Should I learn Latin and/or Ancient Greek?
I'd tell you to go with Ancient Greek, because duh, but having gone through two years of Latin, I can tell you it's must easier for an English speaker.

However, I found Ancient Greek significantly more interesting. It's much deeper and more complicated, and you will always find Greek roots in Latin anyway.

(14-06-2015 08:08 PM)Dom Wrote:  Latin has a lot more practical uses. It helps you understand a bunch of other languages, a lot of scientific names are Latin based. If you want practical use from it for a life time, do Latin.

In your sentence only:

Practical, name, based (Greek)

Language, scientific (Latin)

3-2. Not even a tie Tongue

Also, don't forget that when you search for the etymology of an English word, in many cases you will find the Latin root before the Greek one, meaning that the Latin root actually came from the Greek one. There are 200 pages on Wikipedia's "Latin terms derived from Ancient Greek".

However yes, Latin could probably help you with Spanish, French, Portuguese, etc.

(14-06-2015 08:42 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  This is because Latin's grammar is so fundamentally different (e.g. declensions will be a foreign concept) that you'll need a crash course on what a particular grammatical construct even is in general, and from there, be able to understand the Latin grammar and how it leads to the corresponding English structure. Although I haven't taken Ancient Greek, the grammar of both languages are pretty similar so I don't see why that won't be true of Ancient Greek either.

It's the same in Ancient Greek. Though as far as I know Ancient Greek has many more irregular verbs/exceptions etc., making it thus a tad more complicated.

(14-06-2015 08:42 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  Also, keep in mind that since Latin and Ancient Greek are dead language, you're typically only expected to read and write them; not speak them.

I was always told not to consider Ancient Greek a dead language, since it never died, it just evolved. Latin didn't exactly evolve, since it was still spoken as the various languages descended from it were evolving. There must have been a "last Latin speaker" but I doubt there ever was a "last Ancient Greek speaker".

Plus, a Greek now can understand 30-70% (depending on the case) of an Ancient Greek text. Try asking someone from Spain to understand a Latin text Tongue

[Image: BigFatGreekWedding26.jpeg]

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply