Should I read Lawrence Krauss?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Should I read Lawrence Krauss?
Recently I bought Lawrence Krauss' A Universe From Nothing, though I haven't yet read it. However, I came across an article on Jerry Coyne's blog and though Krauss isn't the main subject, it does mention someone's scathing review of the book which criticises it on two accounts: Krauss's nothing isn't really nothing, and Krauss doesn't explain where the physical laws come from. In the comments section others also say that Krauss doesn't really talk about the concept of "nothing" all that much. You'd get a better conveyance of what I mean to say if you took a gander at the article and comments yourself. Here's the link: http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/...-big-time/

Once you've done so, my questions are these: are these criticisms valid, and should I bother to read the book now if it is as flawed as some of these people say it is? I'm not learned in science to a great degree, more a layman, so don't get too technical if you reply Tongue.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

-Christoper Hitchens, "Letters to a Young Contrarian."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2013, 08:25 PM
RE: Should I read Lawrence Krauss?
Never let other people's opinions keep you from experiencing something for yourself. For all you know, it may become your all-time favorite book. Internet users will always bitch, usually because the idea offends some nature of their religion or political roots. Hell, Ben Stein criticizes the theory of evolution because it doesn't explain abiogenesis or the laws of nature - 2 things which have nothing to do with evolution.

Now, I own and have read Universe from Nothing and I would just state that Lawrence Krauss is a physicist, not a writer. So my biggest irk was that I felt like I was pouring over notes in a scientific journal. But you already bought the damn thing, might as well read it.

Oh, and here's the most frequently posted video on this forum in the rare chance you'd never seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVt3a5DCgBM

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
24-04-2013, 09:15 PM
(24-04-2013 12:06 PM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  Recently I bought Lawrence Krauss' A Universe From Nothing, though I haven't yet read it. However, I came across an article on Jerry Coyne's blog and though Krauss isn't the main subject, it does mention someone's scathing review of the book which criticises it on two accounts: Krauss's nothing isn't really nothing, and Krauss doesn't explain where the physical laws come from. In the comments section others also say that Krauss doesn't really talk about the concept of "nothing" all that much. You'd get a better conveyance of what I mean to say if you took a gander at the article and comments yourself. Here's the link: http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/...-big-time/

Once you've done so, my questions are these: are these criticisms valid, and should I bother to read the book now if it is as flawed as some of these people say it is? I'm not learned in science to a great degree, more a layman, so don't get too technical if you reply Tongue.

It's a great book. In this universe, there is no such thing as "nothing". He shows why that is true. Just because the Metaphysicians/Philosophers made the mistake of assuming there was something called "nothing" does not mean it really exists. The universe has been proven to not be what humans see as "logical".
As far as "where did the laws come from ?", too bad.NO one has the answer to that yet.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
24-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the useful replies Smile. I don't know if the critic was religious but he was a physicist too I think. And some people also said he skips over the idea of nothing, though from what you've said I realise why it would seem like he did even though he didn't.

I shall indeed read the book now, it seems those critics were flawed. I realise I shouldn't just judge a book based on reviews or criticisms before reading it but I must admit it puts me off. Now I realise said critics were wrong so I'll read the book and form my own judgements. Though that comment about it being very scientific has put me off again. As I said, I'm a layman when it comes to science so I can't grasp the technical-need-a-doctorate-in-physics-to-comprehend stuff Tongue. But I'll give it a go anyhow.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

24-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Well... fuck yea! He's dreamy. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
24-04-2013, 10:16 PM
(24-04-2013 10:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Well... fuck yea! He's dreamy. Shy

[Image: dylfi.jpg]

I suppose Joseph Stalin would be considered attractive in his younger days...

But that ain't a reason to kill millions of people xD.

24-04-2013, 10:20 PM
(24-04-2013 10:16 PM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 10:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Well... fuck yea! He's dreamy. Shy

[Image: dylfi.jpg]

Doesn't mean I wouldn't read his book. That retard Hitler killed a shit load of people and I read his book.

Dreamy isn't always about what's on the outside... Krauss talks about the stars... that's about as dreamy as one can get. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
24-04-2013, 10:22 PM
(24-04-2013 10:20 PM)kim Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 10:16 PM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  [Image: dylfi.jpg]

Doesn't mean I wouldn't read his book. That retard Hitler killed a shit load of people and I read his book.

Dreamy isn't always about what's on the outside... Krauss talks about the stars... that's about as dreamy as one can get. Wink

You should write a history book titled "The Retard Hitler Killed a Shit Load of People."

I'd buy that book Tongue.

This thread has changed course remarkably quickly...

[+] 1 user Likes TheAmazingAustralopithecus's post
24-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Clearly Lawrence Krauss should kill some people, will help his book sales.