Should I tell my eagle scout board of review I am atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2014, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2014 06:51 PM by worldatheist2.)
Should I tell my eagle scout board of review I am atheist?
I am 17 and I became atheist last year. I am also having an eagle scout board of review within the next few months. At by board of review they will, assuming that I am still catholic, ask me how I plan to follow my religion when I go off to college and become an adult. When they ask this, I want to say
"I do not find any credible evidence for the existence of a god, so I do not plan to live with any religion in the future. I do not plan to go to church, nor pray. However, i plan to continue doing community service and try to contribute positively to the world by being kind to people when I am angry at them and by standing up for my beliefs."
If I said this, I would likely fail my board of review and have to explain to my parents why. They would be absolutely furious, and they would have to explain to all of my relatives that I was not going to be an eagle scout because I had claimed to be an atheist at my court of honor. This would provide much hurt and sadness for me in the short term, but in the long term I would be proud of standing up for my beliefs.
However, I am not that brave. I will probably make up a bunch of lies about how I was going to keep going to church weekly, yadda yadda.
In your opinion, what is the best course of action? I know what I want to say sound a bit rude, but I feel I have the right and the duty to answer the question honestly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2014, 06:44 PM
RE: Should I tell my eagle scout board of review I am atheist?
(22-04-2014 06:36 PM)worldatheist2 Wrote:  I am 17 and I became atheist last year. I am also having an eagle scout board of review within the next few months. At by board of review they will, assuming that I am still catholic, ask me how I plan to follow my religion when I go off to college and become an adult. When they ask this, I want to say
"I do not find any credible evidence for the existence of a god, so I do not plan to live with any religion in the future. I do not plan to go to church, nor pray. However, i plan to continue doing community service and try to contribute positively to the world by being kind to people when I am angry at them and by standing up for my beliefs."
If I said this, I would likely fail my board of review and have to explain to my parents why. They would be absolutely furious, and they would have to explain to all of my relatives that I was not going to be an eagle scout because I had claimed to be an atheist at my court of honor. This would provide much hurt and sadness for me in the short term, but in the long term I would be proud of standing up for my beliefs.
However, I am not that brave. I will probably make up a bunch of lies about how I was going to keep going to church weekly, yadda yadda.
In your opinion, what is the best course of action?

If they ask, you could say that you are not sure how as you are having some doubt about faith. And don't say any more.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-04-2014, 06:46 PM
(22-04-2014 06:36 PM)worldatheist2 Wrote:  I am 17 and I became atheist last year. I am also having an eagle scout board of review within the next few months. At by board of review they will, assuming that I am still catholic, ask me how I plan to follow my religion when I go off to college and become an adult. When they ask this, I want to say
In your opinion, what is the best course of action?

Eagle Scouts open no doors. It's no elite status. It's not Ivy League. If you are gonna cheapen your integrity over something...make sure it's really worth the price.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
22-04-2014, 06:56 PM
If theyd discriminate against you for that, do you really want to wear their badge?

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 3 users Like =jesse='s post
22-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Tell them that you will continue learning about faith and religion and you will continue to follow the path ahead of you.

It's basically word salad but sounds like you are faithful but doesn't that, and honestly you probably will continue to learn more about religion. It just won't be in practice.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
22-04-2014, 07:14 PM
(22-04-2014 07:01 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Tell them that you will continue learning about faith and religion and you will continue to follow the path ahead of you.

It's basically word salad but sounds like you are faithful but doesn't that, and honestly you probably will continue to learn more about religion. It just won't be in practice.

Ohhhhh! I love semantics and half lies!

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
22-04-2014, 07:16 PM
(22-04-2014 06:56 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  If theyd discriminate against you for that, do you really want to wear their badge?

I have put hundreds of hours into this over the last five years. Back when I joined, I was not aware of their discriminatory policies. However, as I have formed opinions about issues over the past few years, I have grown ashamed of being a boy scout. They just last year dropped their ban on gay scouts and still prohibit gay leaders. I am ashamed at being part of a group who stands as a symbol of opponents of gay rights. I am a supporter of gay rights and gay marriage. I also disagree with their atheist ban, which affects me personally. I cannot talk about atheism in the presence of anybody who is in my troop, even at school.
However, I have worked hard and I want to get my badge and get the heck out of that discriminatory, conservative organization.
22-04-2014, 07:17 PM
(22-04-2014 07:16 PM)worldatheist2 Wrote:  
(22-04-2014 06:56 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  If theyd discriminate against you for that, do you really want to wear their badge?

I have put hundreds of hours into this over the last five years. Back when I joined, I was not aware of their discriminatory policies. However, as I have formed opinions about issues over the past few years, I have grown ashamed of being a boy scout. They just last year dropped their ban on gay scouts and still prohibit gay leaders. I am ashamed at being part of a group who stands as a symbol of opponents of gay rights. I am a supporter of gay rights and gay marriage. I also disagree with their atheist ban, which affects me personally. I cannot talk about atheism in the presence of anybody who is in my troop, even at school.
However, I have worked hard and I want to get my badge and get the heck out of that discriminatory, conservative organization.

That's why I left when we were leaving webelos 2.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
22-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Nope. None of their damn business.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-04-2014, 07:20 PM
(22-04-2014 07:01 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Tell them that you will continue learning about faith and religion and you will continue to follow the path ahead of you.

That is a good idea. I think I will do that. It is true that I have learned more about religion since I became atheist than any other time period of my life. I used to be a fairly religious person and I prayed daily, but I was never into religion like I am interested in atheism (and religion) now. I guess since I recently became atheist I am going through an obsession (as I often do about various topics, usually science related), and eventually I will be more calm of an atheist.