Should I tell my eagle scout board of review I am atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2014 06:26 AM by Anjele.)
RE: Should I tell my eagle scout board of review I am atheist?
I suppose then it won't matter if he wants to go to Cornell.

10+ years of scouting and working to their highest level should show commitment to reaching a goal that is all the more impressive when it is shown by a kid who probably started at the age of 6.

I certainly am not going to downplay a decade of working to reach a goal.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
23-04-2014, 07:04 AM
[/quote]
However, I have worked hard and I want to get my badge and get the heck out of that discriminatory, conservative organization.
[/quote]

Do you really want to get a badge from an organization with such immoral standings on homosexual relationships? From your post it sounds as if you don't like any of their standings on this. For me that would make any accomplishment recognized or award given to me irrelevant and insignificant. I do understand you put in FIVE years so I see that you want something to signify all that hard work. Just some things to take into consideration though.
23-04-2014, 07:06 AM
(23-04-2014 05:49 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I suppose then it won't matter if he wants to go to Cornell.

10+ years of scouting and working to their highest level should show commitment to reaching a goal that is all the more impressive when it is shown by a kid who probably started at the age of 6.

I certainly am not going to downplay a decade of working to reach a goal.

Not downplaying it either. Why waste more time when you clearly don't want to be a part of it?

It's irrelevant if he wants to go to cornell or not. That's the mentality of Ivy League. There is certainly another way to look at this than simply him quitting.

I'm just conveying that there is a way he can spin it to possibly a greater advantage. He asked for opinions on what to do. I'm giving mine.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
23-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Does it really matter? This scouting organization is obviously religious in nature and will penalize you if you're not religious... So, in that's case, what's to lose?

I think its always best to be yourself (so long as being yourself doesn't hurt you or others)... I would go along to this scout bash, tell 'em what I think, and fail with pride.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Tell 'em you're a gay atheist. They claim to accept gays now but not atheists. Just tell 'em you're a gay atheist and let's see what the fuck happens. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-04-2014, 09:20 PM
(22-04-2014 06:36 PM)worldatheist2 Wrote:  I am 17 and I became atheist last year. I am also having an eagle scout board of review within the next few months. At by board of review they will, assuming that I am still catholic, ask me how I plan to follow my religion when I go off to college and become an adult. When they ask this, I want to say
"I do not find any credible evidence for the existence of a god, so I do not plan to live with any religion in the future. I do not plan to go to church, nor pray. However, i plan to continue doing community service and try to contribute positively to the world by being kind to people when I am angry at them and by standing up for my beliefs."
If I said this, I would likely fail my board of review and have to explain to my parents why. They would be absolutely furious, and they would have to explain to all of my relatives that I was not going to be an eagle scout because I had claimed to be an atheist at my court of honor. This would provide much hurt and sadness for me in the short term, but in the long term I would be proud of standing up for my beliefs.
However, I am not that brave. I will probably make up a bunch of lies about how I was going to keep going to church weekly, yadda yadda.
In your opinion, what is the best course of action? I know what I want to say sound a bit rude, but I feel I have the right and the duty to answer the question honestly.
Eagle Scout looks great on a resume.

My grandson is an Eagle Scout. He says he was never asked that question. If you do get asked the question, tell them what they want to hear. Come out of the closet later.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
24-04-2014, 11:45 AM
I am an eagle scout. according to the oath and law you must tell the truth. if they dont pass you because you were trustworthy (first law) then I will find my badge and medal and mail it to you. if you tell the truth, you're my fucking hero. message me and keep me posted.

be prepared my friend Wink

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
[+] 1 user Likes elconquistador's post
24-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Do yourself a favor and just get out. You don't want to support a group that hates like that.