Should I write for a christian website?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2014, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 09:00 AM by therealJim.)
Question Should I write for a christian website?

I might have the opportunity to write for a website run by a christian that is focused on giving advice for men on how to be a good guy (

Should I do so? On the one hand I might be able to give some scientifically sound advice and in the process perhaps elevate the quality standards there.

On the other hand, given my experience with the guy running it, I have doubts regarding his honesty. This offer to write for the site arouse out of a discussion between him and me discussing whether or not a claim he made (Science shows X) was valid. I provided long and detailed explanations why his claim was not justified quoting the very scientific papers he brought forth to back up his claim.

He evaded my arguments by saying that the data says his claim might be true ("There is no evidence suggesting sex on the first date is beneficial, so I have to go with the multiple studies that have been done suggesting waiting may be beneficial." [Quote]), and by asking whether we actually need the evidence while also trying(?) to confuse scientific claims with ethical judgements ("On the other hand, do we need this evidence to make a statement? Do I need evidence to suggest murdering is bad? There is a moral order to the universe." [Quote]).
When I responded to these at length he stated that I wasn't debating him but the authors of the article who seemed to believe that the data supports the claim.

I then pointed out that the researchers where in fact claiming an association between the variables ("sexual restraint was associated with better relationship outcomes"), whereas he clearly claimed a causal effect ("Research shows sexual restraint leads to better relationship outcomes.") and asked him what he thought about the limitations of the study I had already pointed out. His reply was:
"That’s fair enough. I updated the wording to include what was quoted in the abstract." (Which he did.)

I replied that it would only be fair enough if he pointed out the difference between association and causation, as somebody who is not well versed in science would likely mistake association for causation.
Because he stated that he works in the medical field I also questioned his honesty, leaving open the possibility that he thought it might be o.k. to mislead because he wanted his claim to be true so badly.

He didn't answer to this, but deleted the post claiming in an email to me that because his life is so busy, he did not want to set up a precendent giving off the impression that he answers every comment.

What do you make of this?
Do you think it is a good idea to write for this site or not?
And IF I do what precautions should I take (he already has my full name, because I think it is a matter of honesty to openly show who you are)?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: Should I write for a christian website?
He doesn't sound at all trustworthy. If you work in the sciences and he's attempting to use your name to lend credibility to his site, it could be highly detrimental to your career. Personally, I'd dump him. Be prepared to sue him into the Stone Age if he uses your own professional work in a dishonest fashion, but just disengage if you have no personal stake.

Tell him in a polite e-mail or private message that that you are no longer interested in assisting with his website and back away slowly, and in time your contributions to his site will fade away into the archives of the site. No need to explain, either.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
08-03-2014, 11:58 PM
If you were able to induce cognitive dissonance in the sites founder, resulting in a post deletion, then think of the positive effects you could have on the visitors.
And the fact your were offered a role after that incident shows if not acceptance of your view then a respect for it.

If the role offers you a platform to help people in a secular way, then go for it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-03-2014, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 09:03 AM by therealJim.)
Thank you for your answers. I see that my post has been misunderstood. So here are a few important corrections:

1.I do not work in science, but have an M.B.A.. I am about to start working in the private sector in Europe. He lives in California. Now I know that a Google Search might still make it easy to discover any work published, so maybe I should insist that my stuff is published under an alias.

2.So far he does not know who I am. He only knows my name and that's it. And a Google Search won't help him either.

3.I was offered the possibility to write during the "discussion" between him and me, not at the end of it. This happened because in one of my answers I said that I thought he should be more detailed on several points of his post, and offered to provide references to ressources if was interested. I also complimented him for at least doing something instead of nothing, however imperfect that may be.

4.He did not delete the entire post, but only the discussion between him and me.

5.He claims to work in the medical field, from which I inferred - openly in the discussion - that he knows how science works. And that he knows the difference between association and causation. He never disputed these assumptions.
09-03-2014, 09:40 AM
If it's something you are interested in, then yes, but I would do it with conditions.

I would go the alias route because you just don't want your personal and professional life to get bogged down by any future online drama.

Will you have control over the topic, or will you be asked to write in support of his view?

How much time will you be investing, and is that really how you want to spend it? Maybe you do want to spend it that way or maybe you got other things going on that would be better served receiving your attention.

How many people will be seeing your work? Many people here realize that there is a greater audience of lurkers that read here, so their posts at times address them too. Or is it a closed group setting?

You mentioned in your first post about his honestly, I would think more on that and decide if think you can handle it because it will probably come up again.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Thank you everybody. Your advice has helped think this through. I have decided to back out as I rather use my time for other things Girl_nails (like posting here Wink ).

"Newton's third law: The only way humans have ever figured out of getting somewhere is to leave something behind." - TARS, Interstellar
"Newtons drittes Gesetz: Der einzige Weg wie Menschen irgendwo hin kommen, ist der dass sie etwas zurücklassen." - TARS, Interstellar