Should Infantile Baptism be Illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Should Infantile Baptism be Illegal?
Well, I just found out that because I was baptized as an infant in the Roman Catholic Church, I am technically still an "Active Member" in their eyes, and with Catholic Defection having been abolished 2 years ago, I cannot have myself removed from those records. The choice to be placed on these records were made when I was too young to say no, and so now, I am forever tied to this church.

Shouldn't Infantile Baptism be illegal?

I'm not saying that we should ban baptism outright-- THAT much is the choice of the individual. Infantile baptism, in my opinion however, is wrong. It instantly has the child put upon a list stating that they are in support of this belief system before they even reach the mental capacity to disagree with it.

Thoughts on the issue?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2012, 08:55 PM
RE: Should Infantile Baptism be Illegal?
Not illegal, per say, but I believe the Catholic Defection be reinstated.

I see where you're coming from on this. I think at the age of adulthood the choice to be completely removed mentally and physically from everything to do with the church should be available. Kinda like a "do not call" list for Catholics. If the Catholic Church continues to keep record and contact after an individual requests deletion, legal action should be taken against the church for a breach of privacy of some sort.

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
08-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I also believe in Catholic defacation. They are full of shit. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-09-2012, 09:04 PM
(08-09-2012 08:55 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  Not illegal, per say, but I believe the Catholic Defection be reinstated.

I see where you're coming from on this. I think at the age of adulthood the choice to be completely removed mentally and physically from everything to do with the church should be available. Kinda like a "do not call" list for Catholics. If the Catholic Church continues to keep record and contact after an individual requests deletion, legal action should be taken against the church for a breach of privacy of some sort.

It's more of a matter of principal. The Catholic church only really keeps in contact with the more dedicated members. I just don't think you should be forced into having your name associated with them, and I don't agree with my records being used in their statistics for active members.
[+] 3 users Like pppgggr's post
08-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Don't they just throw some water on your head or something? Consider yourself lucky! I had my penis mutilated, and now its only 6 inches long.
[+] 4 users Like Diablo666's post
08-09-2012, 09:21 PM
(08-09-2012 09:04 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 08:55 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  Not illegal, per say, but I believe the Catholic Defection be reinstated.

It's more of a matter of principal. The Catholic church only really keeps in contact with the more dedicated members. I just don't think you should be forced into having your name associated with them, and I don't agree with my records being used in their statistics for active members.

Sue them for "Slander" lol

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
08-09-2012, 09:33 PM
I think that all ideas one disagrees with should be illegal. If only we had some sort of police force that could monitor people's thoughts, then we'd be guaranteed that nothing we didn't agree with would ever happen again.

I think that the idea that infantile baptism should be made illegal is infantile.

Now what's all this Catholic Defection business?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
(08-09-2012 09:33 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I think that all ideas one disagrees with should be illegal. If only we had some sort of police force that could monitor people's thoughts, then we'd be guaranteed that nothing we didn't agree with would ever happen again.

I think that the idea that infantile baptism should be made illegal is infantile.

Now what's all this Catholic Defection business?

Matt

It has nothing to do with the fact that I disagree with the Catholic Church. I just find it wrong that people are being forced to associate themselves with them before they can say no.
08-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Hey, pppgggr.

What country were you born in? You are one of that automatically are you not? So much of our infancy is a product of circumstance, not utopia. But for an accident of fate, I grew up in Quebec instead of the third world. I don't complain much about that.

I hate the idea of micro managing parenting. If your parents can't make decisions for you then you'd probably die. So let's keep the criminal stuff to hitting your baby with a pipe wrench and not raising your kid Catholic, or macrobiotic or Atheist or in California or even as a racist.

Oh and for reelz, what's all this Catholic Defection business?

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
08-09-2012, 10:03 PM
(08-09-2012 09:56 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, pppgggr.

What country were you born in? You are one of that automatically are you not? So much of our infancy is a product of circumstance, not utopia. But for an accident of fate, I grew up in Quebec instead of the third world. I don't complain much about that.

I hate the idea of micro managing parenting. If your parents can't make decisions for you then you'd probably die. So let's keep the criminal stuff to hitting your baby with a pipe wrench and not raising your kid Catholic, or macrobiotic or Atheist or in California or even as a racist.

Oh and for reelz, what's all this Catholic Defection business?

Matt
I grew up in America, and I don't care if you raise the child to take up that religion. It's the fact that if they later on choose that they disagree with it, because of their records of baptism, they're permanently labeled as members of that specific church.

As for the whole "Catholic Defection" thing, in 2010, someone in the Catholic Church made it so that all records within the church are permanent, and if you are baptized in their church, you're forever labeled as an active member, and they count you in their statistics for membership.