Should Infantile Baptism be Illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2012, 10:03 PM
RE: Should Infantile Baptism be Illegal?
(08-09-2012 09:56 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, pppgggr.

What country were you born in? You are one of that automatically are you not? So much of our infancy is a product of circumstance, not utopia. But for an accident of fate, I grew up in Quebec instead of the third world. I don't complain much about that.

I hate the idea of micro managing parenting. If your parents can't make decisions for you then you'd probably die. So let's keep the criminal stuff to hitting your baby with a pipe wrench and not raising your kid Catholic, or macrobiotic or Atheist or in California or even as a racist.

Oh and for reelz, what's all this Catholic Defection business?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Heart Sam Harris told him that! Heart
[Image: Sam-Harris-banner.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
08-09-2012, 10:05 PM
(08-09-2012 10:03 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  I grew up in America, and I don't care if you raise the child to take up that religion. It's the fact that if they later on choose that they disagree with it, because of their records of baptism, they're permanently labeled as members of that specific church.

As for the whole "Catholic Defection" thing, in 2010, someone in the Catholic Church made it so that all records within the church are permanent, and if you are baptized in their church, you're forever labeled as an active member, and they count you in their statistics for membership.

Reading that makes me think their trying to make themselves look bigger..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-09-2012, 10:09 PM
(08-09-2012 10:05 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 10:03 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  I grew up in America, and I don't care if you raise the child to take up that religion. It's the fact that if they later on choose that they disagree with it, because of their records of baptism, they're permanently labeled as members of that specific church.

As for the whole "Catholic Defection" thing, in 2010, someone in the Catholic Church made it so that all records within the church are permanent, and if you are baptized in their church, you're forever labeled as an active member, and they count you in their statistics for membership.

Reading that makes me think their trying to make themselves look bigger..

I think being counted at birth forever into the future is absurd. Otherwise if they are not harming the child who cares if they pour water over your head and cast some magical spells.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
08-09-2012, 10:11 PM
(08-09-2012 10:09 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 10:05 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Reading that makes me think their trying to make themselves look bigger..

I think being counted at birth forever into the future is absurd. Otherwise if they are not harming the child who cares if they pour water over your head and cast some magical spells.
That's what I take issue with. Being counted at birth.
08-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Although I think it's a principle thing for Pppgggr and a few others, in some countries one is taxed as an adult according to their church.

I believe I had a discussion with one of our members either from Norway or Switzerland ... anyway, there is some sort of official paper which is proof that you have opted out of their belief system.

Makes things all nice and cozy. I'm almost sure they still make you pay some kind of tax, but this way at least it's secular and you are officially not a member of a church. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-09-2012, 10:28 PM
(08-09-2012 10:21 PM)kim Wrote:  Although I think it's a principle thing for Pppgggr and a few others, in some countries one is taxed as an adult according to their church.

I believe I had a discussion with one of our members either from Norway or Switzerland ... anyway, there is some sort of official paper which is proof that you have opted out of their belief system.

Makes things all nice and cozy. I'm almost sure they still make you pay some kind of tax, but this way at least it's secular and you are officially not a member of a church. Shy

Not with the Catholic Faith, not any more. There's no official way to defect. You're labeled as an active member for life. There used to be a way, but they changed it in 2010 because a load of the Irish were doing it and their membership numbers dropped. Their official reason is that they want to give you a chance for reconciliation.

Also......Is Excommunication still viewed as "A removal of your soul" and that you're simply a walking zombie, like it was in the medieval days, or did they pretty that up as well to look good in the public eye? Excommunication is still an option for Catholics.....Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pppgggr's post
08-09-2012, 10:43 PM
pppgggr, nice to see you back, bro.

Just want to step in and welcome you back, where have you been?

Anyways about this church thing. Yeah, I want to leave the church, and not be counted as a member.

I am also for adult baptisms, because they know what they want, children, especially newborns, have no fucking clue, especially on something so fucking "imporant"

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
08-09-2012, 11:08 PM
(08-09-2012 10:43 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  pppgggr, nice to see you back, bro.

Just want to step in and welcome you back, where have you been?

Anyways about this church thing. Yeah, I want to leave the church, and not be counted as a member.

I am also for adult baptisms, because they know what they want, children, especially newborns, have no fucking clue, especially on something so fucking "imporant"

High School started for me, and after making a rather stupid post on this forum, I grew frustrated for a bit and left. I asked a question without doing any research on the subject matter and I instantly had a few people on my ass. I realized my childishness today and decided to come back.
09-09-2012, 12:44 AM
No it shouldn't be illegal.

There should be separation of church and state.

Besides. It's just a ritual. So who gives a shit. It doesn't change anything.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
09-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Hey, pppgggr.

Whether or not children should be baptised and whether or not the Catholic Church deletes you from the roster are two seperate issues. Your issue seems to be with this defection issue. Going after child baptisms seems like an obvious ploy to backdoor solve the defection issue. I say focus on defection because there is no chance you're ever going to convince anyone that parents don't have the right to raise their children in whichever tradition they see fit.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt