Should Infantile Baptism be Illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2012, 04:13 PM
RE: Should Infantile Baptism be Illegal?
(10-09-2012 04:07 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  That's like expecting a child not to be influenced by their parents.
"No Timmy, don't listen to the institution that has governed over you since birth."

The point of growing up is to become independent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
(10-09-2012 04:13 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 04:07 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  That's like expecting a child not to be influenced by their parents.
"No Timmy, don't listen to the institution that has governed over you since birth."

The point of growing up is to become independent.

Try doing that when extensively indoctrinated. It is often painful, disgusting, and your family generally hates you for it.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-09-2012, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 05:11 PM by Janus.)
(10-09-2012 04:15 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 04:13 PM)Janus Wrote:  The point of growing up is to become independent.

Try doing that when extensively indoctrinated. It is often painful, disgusting, and your family generally hates you for it.

Nobody said growing up was easy.
In fact it is supposed to be hard because it's about learning what you don't know yet.
The alternative is to, psychologically, stay dependent. Effectively a non-adult. A child that never grows up.
10-09-2012, 05:22 PM
(10-09-2012 05:05 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 04:15 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Try doing that when extensively indoctrinated. It is often painful, disgusting, and your family generally hates you for it.

Nobody said growing up was easy.
In fact it is supposed to be hard because it's about learning what you don't know yet.
The alternative is to, psychologically, stay dependent. Effectively a non-adult. A child that never grows up.

Growing up can be far easier without the abomination that is religious indoctrination. Or is it your goal to make life as difficult as it can be? Your illogic is starting to show.
Religious indoctrination effectively enables and promotes such dependence. You either prevent it from happening, or you remain with a willfully ignorant population.

10-09-2012, 08:32 PM
(10-09-2012 04:07 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 01:55 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Illegal, no silly. As long as they aren't holding the baby underwater until it is brain damaged. Why do you care what the Catholic Church says. What gives them the power to define you? None, unless you give them that power. If I called you a black female Canadian with a mental disorder what would you do? How would you react. Would you try to make is illegal for people to call you that or would you just ignore it because I had absolutely no impact on you whatsoever. Who gives a damn?

That's like expecting a child not to be influenced by their parents.

I don't think that comparison is very accurate, but even so it is a straw man argument. I never said the Catholic Church had no influence on him, but just because it affected him in some way does not mean that he has to accept their verdict, that he is a Catholic. My parents are Christians, and even though they influenced me religiously that does not mean they get to determine my religion. No matter what they call me, they doesn't make me believe any more.

11-09-2012, 07:44 AM
(10-09-2012 05:22 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  is it your goal to make life as difficult as it can be?

Ask a stupid question and you will get a stupid answer.

11-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't think the question here is whether the OP can grow up and shed his religious indoctrination. Clearly he has shed it to the extent that he no longer identifies as a Catholic.

The real question here, to me, is why does anyone on this forum care whether a deluded institution that believes in imaginary boogey men (to differentiate between non-imaginary boogey men) bothers to keep inaccurate records regarding who does and does not share their specific delusion?

Or to put it another way, what actual impact does it have on the OP that the Catholic Church still counts him? Does it change his life in any way? Is he impacted financially or professionally or personally in some tangible way?

Or is it just his own personal hurt feelings over an imaginary slight that isn't really an actual slight at all?

So what if the Catholic Church inflates its membership numbers? So what if they want to claim the OP? So what if they want to claim me? I have never set foot inside a Catholic church, never been baptized, never attended a sermon, never had any association with them at all, but if they want to put me on their list and tell the world that their membership has grown by one person, it wouldn't bother me one bit.

So why does it really bother the OP, enough that he suggests making crazy laws that would severely restrict parental rights and could eventually be used as a legal platform to establish precedence on other (real, meaningful) issues that would cause real, meaningful harm to people?

Maybe (for the sake of circular reference) the OP really hasn't shed his religious indoctrination after all, regardless of how much he might believe he has.

So I suggest to the OP that it's time to actually realize that having his name on that list does not give the Catholic Church any power or hold over the OP or his life or his soul. I further suggest that having his name on that list does not give God any power or hold over the OP or his life or his soul. I further suggest that all of the OP's worry over this issue actually DOES give the Catholic Church some form of hold over the OP and his life (but still not his soul).

And I finally suggest that the OP can break that hold by simply coming to the realization that HE is the one creating the hold, not the Catholic Church.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
11-09-2012, 02:47 PM
(10-09-2012 08:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  

I don't think that comparison is very accurate, but even so it is a straw man argument. I never said the Catholic Church had no influence on him, but just because it affected him in some way does not mean that he has to accept their verdict, that he is a Catholic. My parents are Christians, and even though they influenced me religiously that does not mean they get to determine my religion. No matter what they call me, they doesn't make me believe any more.

How is it a strawman? The majority of people don't have a choice because they were robbed a proper education and were bred to despise the truth. Why do you think faith is glorified among the religious? It's not because they were taught to think critically at a young age.

(11-09-2012 07:44 AM)Janus Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 05:22 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  is it your goal to make life as difficult as it can be?

Ask a stupid question and you will get a stupid answer.

Not my fault your justifications for such indoctrination are pathetic.
11-09-2012, 03:27 PM

11-09-2012, 03:30 PM
(11-09-2012 03:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I explained pretty clearly how is was a straw man argument in the post I made. What else do you want from me? Respectfully, Logica, your argument is flawed and you are incorrect.

I disagree with that statement.