Should My Son Join Boy Scouts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2015, 11:17 AM
There is a lot that I like about the program. But there is a clause in the information pamphlet that is an absolute show-stopper for me.

Quote:Declaration of Religious Principle

The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God and, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member, but it is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious training. Its policy is that the home and organization or group with which a member is connected shall give definite attention to religious life. Only persons willing to subscribe to this Declaration of Religious Principle and to the Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America shall be entitled to certificates of membership.

I'll appreciate any relevant suggestions, experiences, alternatives. I would like my son to get something similar without the religious angle.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2015, 11:32 AM
RE: Should My Son Join Boy Scouts?
(18-06-2015 11:17 AM)tomilay Wrote:  There is a lot that I like about the program. But there is a clause in the information pamphlet that is an absolute show-stopper for me.

Quote:Declaration of Religious Principle

The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God and, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member, but it is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious training. Its policy is that the home and organization or group with which a member is connected shall give definite attention to religious life. Only persons willing to subscribe to this Declaration of Religious Principle and to the Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America shall be entitled to certificates of membership.

I'll appreciate any relevant suggestions, experiences, alternatives. I would like my son to get something similar without the religious angle.

I don't have kids--so maybe I shouldn't be responding to your post lol? However, if I did have kids, I personally would not want them joining an organization that perpetuates religion. If they want to volunteer or learn outdoor skills--there are other ways for them to do that. If they want to meet friends and join clubs--there are other ways for them to do that. If the Boy Scout policy is to incorporate religion into daily activities--to me that is not very different from church. I would not want my child in that type of environment because I do know religious adults who are very good at scaring impressionable children into believing religious dogma.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-06-2015, 11:39 AM
They have a history on insisting on Christian values. If I had a son, I would not enroll him. He'd be spending a lot of time with them, including trips, without anyone to counteract the indoctrination. It's not much different than enrolling him in a private Christian school and being surprised he wants to be baptized to save his soul.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
18-06-2015, 12:03 PM
The only BSA I will have any dealings with are those fun old British bikes, and of course the rifles.... (BSA stands for Birmingham Small Arms).

The Boy Scouts and all their minions can kiss my hairy, pasty white ass....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

@jennybee,

You mention that there are alternatives to BSA. To learn outdoor skills. Do you have any specific ones in mind? I live in a big city.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
18-06-2015, 02:22 PM
(18-06-2015 01:39 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

@jennybee,

You mention that there are alternatives to BSA. To learn outdoor skills. Do you have any specific ones in mind? I live in a big city.

I don't know of any off hand since I don't have kids. But I am sure there are classes out there on outdoor skills. There are also forums for backpacking/hiking/survivalist stuff. I love hiking and have recently been interested in backpacking--so I am a member of a hiking/backpacking forum and learned a lot already about backpacking. It's called Trailgroove. I am sure someone on there knows about courses/classes for kids other than Boy Scouts as a way to gain substantial knowledge about outdoor skills. As for books, I am currently reading The Ultimate Survival Manual by Rich Johnson since I am going to be doing some backpacking. It's pretty interesting--who would've thought nail polish could come in handy in the outdoors Tongue (It keeps matches from getting wet.)
18-06-2015, 04:38 PM
(18-06-2015 02:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 01:39 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

@jennybee,

I don't know of any off hand since I don't have kids. But I am sure there are classes out there on outdoor skills. There are also forums for backpacking/hiking/survivalist stuff. I love hiking and have recently been interested in backpacking--so I am a member of a hiking/backpacking forum and learned a lot already about backpacking. It's called Trailgroove. I am sure someone on there knows about courses/classes for kids other than Boy Scouts as a way to gain substantial knowledge about outdoor skills. As for books, I am currently reading The Ultimate Survival Manual by Rich Johnson since I am going to be doing some backpacking. It's pretty interesting--who would've thought nail polish could come in handy in the outdoors Tongue (It keeps matches from getting wet.)
Muchas gracias. I will look at trailgroove.

[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
18-06-2015, 04:46 PM
I also recommend The SAS survival book. Loads of great information.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-06-2015, 05:00 PM
I would talk to people who have kids in the den or troop or whatever it's called. Though the den my son was in was lead by a minister there wasn't much in the way of religion involved. It wasn't a great group and was just starting out so he didn't stick with it long.

My granddaughter is a Girl Scout and has been for about 5 years. They go camping and horseback riding. They rebuild walking trails and all sorts of things. I have never heard mention of religious teachings other than a few words in their pledge.

She has a good time with her friends doing all sorts of cool things and really enjoys it.

Find out the specifics of the groups available to your son. You will probably find a fair amount of variance depending on the local leadership. I have never known of the scouts to be heavily into preaching unless they are strongly affiliated with a particular church.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
18-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Navigators? I don't know much about them but I've heard they are tolerant to all kinds.

I would avoid BSA at all costs