Should My Son Join Boy Scouts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2015, 06:33 AM
RE: Should My Son Join Boy Scouts?
my daughters have taken archery classes, we have a rec area near us where they have been white water rafting, zip lining, ropes courses, kayaking. We have taken family trips to Mammoth Cave, the beach, waterfalls, camping, fishing, bought pocket knives for gifts, fishing. Did alot of hiking by geocaching.

Eventually we will get to firearms, but logistics isnt quite working in favor of that at the moment. We live in a neighborhood with homes on small lots. It will probably happen our next trip to PA to see family. Ranges are expensive in this area.

We did Girl Scouts for awhile....their focus was all about community - which is awesome- my girls wanted skills -- not to learn how to fundraise. I occasionally volunteer with Girl Scouts. Its how I became an archery instructor. The girl scouts is an awesome program, very inclusive of all. But just not for everyone. I was at an adult training weekend. All adults. The campfire needed a small bit of attention, the logs had shifted. I went to fix it with the huge poker, and some one got all crazy about whether or not I was campfire certified. seriously. Stuff like that annoys the crap out if me. I am pretty certain at age 47 I can safely move a campfire log with a poker.

I am in the 'teach your own kid' camp. Its much more fun.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
23-06-2015, 07:47 AM
(18-06-2015 11:17 AM)tomilay Wrote:  There is a lot that I like about the program. But there is a clause in the information pamphlet that is an absolute show-stopper for me.

Quote:Declaration of Religious Principle

The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God and, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member, but it is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious training. Its policy is that the home and organization or group with which a member is connected shall give definite attention to religious life. Only persons willing to subscribe to this Declaration of Religious Principle and to the Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America shall be entitled to certificates of membership.

I'll appreciate any relevant suggestions, experiences, alternatives. I would like my son to get something similar without the religious angle.

Totally understand this. My wife wants our kids to do scouts. I did scouts for a while. She was a girl scout (insert eating brownie reference here..he he...) and earned the equivalent of eagle and her brother was an eagle scout. I don't think she wants them to join for religious reasons at all but because it does teach them some good things. I do wish they would filter the god crap out of the organization but I am not holding my breath. You probably can find a handbook and work with him on it and just skip the god stuff.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
23-06-2015, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2015 01:46 PM by Cosmic Discourse.)
The BSA have very strong direct ties with the LDS church, in many parts of America. Their influence in policy is evident, by the rampant homophobia and other judgemental behaviors exhibited. While they may be in the process of changing some policies, it's only being considered due to backlash from the zeitgeist of our time, not because their attempting to be morally sound.

This isn't to say there aren't good people, in both their membership and leadership, but for my tastes the cons outweigh the pros.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user