Should a Christian be selfish?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2016, 10:28 AM
RE: Should a Christian be selfish?
(12-07-2016 03:30 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  I used to debate at some length with a couple of Randian Christians. Their view seemed puzzling, as I remembered the Christian commandment, “Love your neighbour as yourself.” Mark 12:31

Randian objectivism is a religion unto itself. Your friends just haven't figured out they're worshiping two gods.

(12-07-2016 03:30 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  But, what of others? Here, the Randians presented two arguments. Firstly, their view is that loving others does not need to include practical help, unless this help is in the form of some useful advice

RocketSurgeon already quoted the exact story I was going to cite. Not only did Jesus tell people to give very practical and real help to people, he did so in the explicit context of explaining what it was to "love your neighbor" and explaining who "their neighbor" was.

If their take-home from that parable was "fuck 'em. I've got mine. I'll tell them to go get a jerb.", then you're basically dealing with an asshole who as quite firmly rationalized their position. Don't expect them to be nudged from that position easily.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
13-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Christians should not be shellfish.

What are Randy Christians ?
Are they horny Jebus people ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-07-2016, 01:34 PM
(13-07-2016 10:28 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  If their take-home from that parable was "fuck 'em. I've got mine. I'll tell them to go get a jerb.", then you're basically dealing with an asshole who as quite firmly rationalized their position. Don't expect them to be nudged from that position easily.

Robby,

Well, this is one reason why I'm here. Wink

D.
13-07-2016, 01:55 PM
(12-07-2016 05:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Christians should not eat shellfish.

Leviticus 11:9-12King James Version (KJV)

9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.
So if we go swimming or take a bath or go into a river to get baptized, do we become an abomination?
13-07-2016, 04:23 PM
(13-07-2016 01:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-07-2016 05:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Christians should not eat shellfish.

Leviticus 11:9-12King James Version (KJV)

9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.
So if we go swimming or take a bath or go into a river to get baptized, do we become an abomination?

Depends. If you have scales or scaley skin, or wear yer fins, you should be good to go. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.