Should adults be allowed view this section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2012, 09:29 PM
RE: Should adults be allowed view this section?
(28-11-2012 07:38 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Define "adult." In my country of residence, I'm an adult in the eyes of the law, but I'm still a teenager. I can't provide for myself economically and I'm not fully independent by any stretch of the imagination, but depending on which definition of an adult you are referring to, I could also be excluded. If you are going by somebody who is 20 instead of 19 is no longer allowed to view the teen section, then that makes absolutely no sense, for what difference does that one year make? Does the 20 year old all of the sudden fall off the angst train? I fell off the angst train several years ago, and don't really have any motivation to solely converse with my cohorts on this website. This is a forum which has a broad age range in its member base, so conversations are going to be more "adult" in nature (usually, not always though), so why the fuck should any particular teen feel the need to have a section dedicated to "teen" talk? When was the age of someone ever a major element of this forum? Making the teen section itself created a conscious age divide, and making it exclusively for teens would just exacerbate that. If you want to go rant about your "teen" feelings without having the oldies pop in, there are websites for that, but it isn't this one.

I mean, not that I would care if I was excluded from this forum once I hit 20, considering some of the least intellectually stimulating and immature threads are contained in this sub-forum, but I'm more miffed over the thought about age grouping being a legitimate criteria for making forum sections.
First of all, we are not using teen to define anybody who is unable to take care of themselves, nor are we saying teens are not adults.

Teens are 13-19. Why? Because they have TEEN as the last few letters. This is not about responsibility, nor is it about financial troubles or anything like that. With in the range of the teen years you have stuff like high school and college and perhaps maybe anything else. Do you see the adults constantly thinking to themselves: "Hey man, I am fucking old. I am too self conscious of my age now because of this here teen section."? What nonsense.

Did we ask you to talk in this section, I clearly don't remember asking you to. I also converse out of this section as well, but that doesn't mean all teens are like us. Some SEEK a community of teenage atheists as well. I know I did when I came here. Having one little section isn't hurting the forum in any way is it?

In fact, if a sudden influx of teenagers came here, and they wanted something out of this, they could make it out of it.

We are not making it an emotional, angst, experience thing. It is purely age. Number is a deciding factor in this process.

This forum, IS a large age group, and this was why I felt compelled to make a section, because I know, as a teenage atheist I would like a community OF FELLOW TEENAGE ATHEISTS. I also know that there are TEENAGE CHRISTIANS here so I didn't feel like it should be divided by age and lack of religion.

I am sorry that there are people who look at things differently, and who want a section where they can talk to people around there age about stuff that is happening to them that they think other teens might relate to, or learn a lesson from, or possibly help.

I honestly think one section, a sub-section nonetheless, isn't really making that big of an impact on the adults psyche that much, just saying.

Sure, this section may not be intellectually stimulating, it doesn't need to be. It doesn't need to be intellectual to be useful, or helpful, or even interesting.

I thought this forum was for everybody, why shouldn't I be able to post my fucking angst here? Don't I have the right to do so as long as it is within the rules and regulations of the site and the country of which this site is hosted in?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should adults be allowed view this section? - Atothetheist - 28-11-2012 09:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The holier then thou tone of adults. Metazoa Zeke 12 216 09-04-2014 02:48 PM
Last Post: NL Atheist
  Apparently I'm not allowed here Hughsie 9 540 21-07-2013 02:27 PM
Last Post: ELK12695
  Stupid Adults! Atothetheist 143 6,925 13-10-2012 02:29 AM
Last Post: Logica Humano