Should adults be allowed view this section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2012, 07:03 PM
RE: Should adults be allowed view this section?
(28-11-2012 06:59 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(28-11-2012 06:51 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  There are some legit issues where I don't want your opinions. Is that such a problem to you?
Perhaps there is a silver lining to this. Maybe you could practice what us grown ups are expected to do all the time. Disregard the opinions that are of no interest to you.
See, I would do that, but I find it annoying that I have to do that when I made the thread specifically for teens and I yet, adults are posting on a section that asks them not to.

Of course, you have the right to post, but I am asking you to please try not to post in this section.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2012, 07:07 PM
(28-11-2012 07:03 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(28-11-2012 06:59 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Perhaps there is a silver lining to this. Maybe you could practice what us grown ups are expected to do all the time. Disregard the opinions that are of no interest to you.
See, I would do that, but I find it annoying that I have to do that when I made the thread specifically for teens and I yet, adults are posting on a section that asks them not to.

Of course, you have the right to post, but I am asking you to please try not to post in this section.
I don't. But some people will. That's just how it is. I just can't see how segregating the forum is a reasonable solution to you being annoyed. It seems a little self-important, donchathink?

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
28-11-2012, 07:10 PM
(28-11-2012 07:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(28-11-2012 07:03 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  See, I would do that, but I find it annoying that I have to do that when I made the thread specifically for teens and I yet, adults are posting on a section that asks them not to.

I don't. But some people will. That's just how it is. I just can't see how segregating the forum is a reasonable solution to you being annoyed. It seems a little self-important, donchathink?
Did I say that that's why I wanted it? Sure it's a nice bonus, me not being annoyed, but it is not the reason why I am gunning for it. I be annoyed if you guys respected the section and not posted. If you did that, I don't need it to be segregated for me to be not annoyed.

28-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Lol, aight dude. Kinda feels like this is goin in circles, so I'm gonna duck out now.

I suspect if you wish to peruse this, your best course of action is to appeal to the rest of the team. As always, I defer to them. I ain't the only loudmouth admin here ya know?

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
28-11-2012, 07:16 PM
(28-11-2012 07:13 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Lol, aight dude. Kinda feels like this is goin in circles, so I'm gonna duck out now.

I suspect if you wish to peruse this, your best course of action is to appeal to the rest of the team. As always, I defer to them. I ain't the only loudmouth admin here ya know?
Nah, I am fine with it, but I am just making the point that if you guys don't post here, many of us won't feel the need to ask for more privacy.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
28-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Define "adult." In my country of residence, I'm an adult in the eyes of the law, but I'm still a teenager. I can't provide for myself economically and I'm not fully independent by any stretch of the imagination, but depending on which definition of an adult you are referring to, I could also be excluded. If you are going by somebody who is 20 instead of 19 is no longer allowed to view the teen section, then that makes absolutely no sense, for what difference does that one year make? Does the 20 year old all of the sudden fall off the angst train? I fell off the angst train several years ago, and don't really have any motivation to solely converse with my cohorts on this website. This is a forum which has a broad age range in its member base, so conversations are going to be more "adult" in nature (usually, not always though), so why the fuck should any particular teen feel the need to have a section dedicated to "teen" talk? When was the age of someone ever a major element of this forum? Making the teen section itself created a conscious age divide, and making it exclusively for teens would just exacerbate that. If you want to go rant about your "teen" feelings without having the oldies pop in, there are websites for that, but it isn't this one.

I mean, not that I would care if I was excluded from this forum once I hit 20, considering some of the least intellectually stimulating and immature threads are contained in this sub-forum, but I'm more miffed over the thought about age grouping being a legitimate criteria for making forum sections.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
28-11-2012, 09:29 PM
(28-11-2012 07:38 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Define "adult." In my country of residence, I'm an adult in the eyes of the law, but I'm still a teenager. I can't provide for myself economically and I'm not fully independent by any stretch of the imagination, but depending on which definition of an adult you are referring to, I could also be excluded. If you are going by somebody who is 20 instead of 19 is no longer allowed to view the teen section, then that makes absolutely no sense, for what difference does that one year make? Does the 20 year old all of the sudden fall off the angst train? I fell off the angst train several years ago, and don't really have any motivation to solely converse with my cohorts on this website. This is a forum which has a broad age range in its member base, so conversations are going to be more "adult" in nature (usually, not always though), so why the fuck should any particular teen feel the need to have a section dedicated to "teen" talk? When was the age of someone ever a major element of this forum? Making the teen section itself created a conscious age divide, and making it exclusively for teens would just exacerbate that. If you want to go rant about your "teen" feelings without having the oldies pop in, there are websites for that, but it isn't this one.

I mean, not that I would care if I was excluded from this forum once I hit 20, considering some of the least intellectually stimulating and immature threads are contained in this sub-forum, but I'm more miffed over the thought about age grouping being a legitimate criteria for making forum sections.
First of all, we are not using teen to define anybody who is unable to take care of themselves, nor are we saying teens are not adults.

Teens are 13-19. Why? Because they have TEEN as the last few letters. This is not about responsibility, nor is it about financial troubles or anything like that. With in the range of the teen years you have stuff like high school and college and perhaps maybe anything else. Do you see the adults constantly thinking to themselves: "Hey man, I am fucking old. I am too self conscious of my age now because of this here teen section."? What nonsense.

Did we ask you to talk in this section, I clearly don't remember asking you to. I also converse out of this section as well, but that doesn't mean all teens are like us. Some SEEK a community of teenage atheists as well. I know I did when I came here. Having one little section isn't hurting the forum in any way is it?

In fact, if a sudden influx of teenagers came here, and they wanted something out of this, they could make it out of it.

We are not making it an emotional, angst, experience thing. It is purely age. Number is a deciding factor in this process.

This forum, IS a large age group, and this was why I felt compelled to make a section, because I know, as a teenage atheist I would like a community OF FELLOW TEENAGE ATHEISTS. I also know that there are TEENAGE CHRISTIANS here so I didn't feel like it should be divided by age and lack of religion.

I am sorry that there are people who look at things differently, and who want a section where they can talk to people around there age about stuff that is happening to them that they think other teens might relate to, or learn a lesson from, or possibly help.

I honestly think one section, a sub-section nonetheless, isn't really making that big of an impact on the adults psyche that much, just saying.

Sure, this section may not be intellectually stimulating, it doesn't need to be. It doesn't need to be intellectual to be useful, or helpful, or even interesting.

I thought this forum was for everybody, why shouldn't I be able to post my fucking angst here? Don't I have the right to do so as long as it is within the rules and regulations of the site and the country of which this site is hosted in?

29-11-2012, 05:07 AM
Interesting. Not only did the teens get their own part of the forum, they would now close it for .. well, for me. Listen here noobs, I may look like an old fart (I don't), I may have 30 (I do), but I am still as irresponsible, stupid and childish as all of you. In fact, "teens" like Magoo and whats-the-name-of -that-13yeaar-old-kid-that-went-away are far more serious, adult and smart than I am, so, who is the real teen here?

It is only that I do not post here, because I do not feel the need. But I want to have the option. If you ban me, I will sue you for racis... no, homoph... wait, not that, for ... agism? Ageofobia? Adultofobia?

Suck it. You are not allowed to make your own decisions, because you are under 18. There.

Tongue

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
29-11-2012, 05:13 AM
You know, most of your teen problems are so insignificant for "us adults" that we don't even bother looking. If you make a thread like this, expect adults to look at it. If you post a thread about Justin Biber or School or your latest crush we are not interested. The worst that can happen is a troll of any age posting something.
You wanted a teen section you got one, now you want the forum team to close it and check everyone who says they are a teen. You want them to ID or face check. Guess what, I can get my neigbours daughter plus her ID, make a pic and identify myself like that. Plus the work involved to check everyone who wants in is not fair to the forum team just because you think you have a right to get this section closed.
This section, just to make that clear, is supposed to be a meeting place, so the teens in this forum can actually find each other without a big problem. It was made because it is not easy to find someone of your own age in a big forum like that (no sarcasm here). So you got your meeting and finding place. Take it and be happy, stop making yourself so important.
There is a saying in German that when you offer someone your pinky, that person will rip your hand off. Feels like that right now.

Plus again you are suggesting that you should be made mod. By now I think you want it too much, I do not think you would fit into that position anymore. Nothing against you as a person, but you got your "no" a few times, get over it.

Cheers, and out.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
29-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Joking about this seems fun, but in reality, if you want to have a place of your own, you are free to open up some free forum and invite only atheist teens from this forum. You can not demand admins and mods to deal with your wishes here. The Internet is full of free forums, so, what is stopping you?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The holier then thou tone of adults. Metazoa Zeke 12 217 09-04-2014 02:48 PM
Last Post: NL Atheist
  Apparently I'm not allowed here Hughsie 9 546 21-07-2013 02:27 PM
Last Post: ELK12695
  Stupid Adults! Atothetheist 143 6,939 13-10-2012 02:29 AM
Last Post: Logica Humano