Poll: Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots?
No, absolutely not.
Yes, as long as they're not celebrating any religious aspects.
Yes, even celebrating religious themes are okay since we view it as myth anda re able to separate out fact from fiction and choose to celebrate in this way out of family tradition.
Maple glazed carrots
[Show Results]

Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Here you go Syz and adey. Now stay the fuck out of my Thanksgiving recipe thread Drinking Beverage Tongue Laugh out load Just kidding Wink

Seriously though, I think it is a good debate question just one not intermingled amongst recipes for roasted brussels sprouts and cranberries and maple glazed carrots Wink

So...Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots? Feel free to comment, answer the poll, or both.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-11-2017, 12:57 PM
RE: Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots?
Also, I would like to update my poll to include multiple voting options. I'm not sure how to do it?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
14-11-2017, 12:59 PM
(14-11-2017 12:51 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Here you go Syz and adey. Now stay the fuck out of my Thanksgiving recipe thread Drinking Beverage Tongue Laugh out load Just kidding Wink

Seriously though, I think it is a good debate question just one not intermingled amongst recipes for roasted brussels sprouts and cranberries and maple glazed carrots Wink

So...Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots? Feel free to comment, answer the poll, or both.

> The religious roots of most holidays are actually pagan in origin and were stolen by the Church at later dates. With this in mind, their religious significance can be, for the most part, ignored, except as an historical oddity. When I get together with my family for Xmas, it is more of a celebration of Saturnalia than the birth of Christ. Historically, Xmas was originally a holy day of obligation, not a day for feasting and gift-giving. Consider
[+] 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post
14-11-2017, 12:59 PM
As long as I get stuff, we should. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Atheists "should" do whatever they wish in regard to holidays as there is no atheist code forbidding celebrating christmas.

I never seen much of religion in christmas, just too much food, annoying family members visiting and cleaning the already clean house. It's for these reasons I don't really celebrate christmas. Whatever religious roots they have are immaterial.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
14-11-2017, 01:12 PM
(14-11-2017 12:51 PM)jennybee Wrote:  So...Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots?

Why not? So long as it's not required to celebrate, why not let them choose?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
14-11-2017, 01:17 PM
For me, it’s always been more about family than baby Jesus anyway.
[+] 4 users Like Rachel's post
14-11-2017, 01:26 PM
[Image: should.png?resize=224%2C300]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 9 users Like Vera's post
14-11-2017, 01:30 PM
(14-11-2017 01:12 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(14-11-2017 12:51 PM)jennybee Wrote:  So...Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots?

Why not? So long as it's not required to celebrate, why not let them choose?

This is my feeling on it. Well, that and Bucky's point Laugh out load Tongue

14-11-2017, 01:30 PM
(14-11-2017 12:59 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(14-11-2017 12:51 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Here you go Syz and adey. Now stay the fuck out of my Thanksgiving recipe thread Drinking Beverage Tongue Laugh out load Just kidding Wink

> The religious roots of most holidays are actually pagan in origin and were stolen by the Church at later dates. With this in mind, their religious significance can be, for the most part, ignored, except as an historical oddity. When I get together with my family for Xmas, it is more of a celebration of Saturnalia than the birth of Christ. Historically, Xmas was originally a holy day of obligation, not a day for feasting and gift-giving. Consider

Agreed Thumbsup