Poll: Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots?
No, absolutely not.
Yes, as long as they're not celebrating any religious aspects.
Yes, even celebrating religious themes are okay since we view it as myth anda re able to separate out fact from fiction and choose to celebrate in this way out of family tradition.
Maple glazed carrots
[Show Results]

Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2017, 01:33 PM
RE: Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots?
I think it's totally up to the individual. I have no problem with whichever decision a person makes. We pretty much stopped doing family gatherings after my mother died in 2008, and since then, the rest of my immediate family have all died as well, so there is definitely no "family gathering" aspect now.

But until 2008, we would get together for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, and for the religious members of the family, they were religious occasions. For me, it was just a chance to see my family, have a big meal, and exchange gifts (at Christmas). Now I don't do any of that (Thanksgiving will be nothing more for me than a day off of work, and that's enough for me), and I don't really miss it, but I had no objection to it when we were doing it. I think those who are making a big deal out of this need to "get a life".

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
14-11-2017, 02:01 PM
I celebrate the holidays. I like Christmas time (nostalgia from my childhood I suppose). I don't believe in the holiday itself but that doesn't dissuade me from enjoying the season. "To me"... Family is the most important part.

All of my family (with the exception of my wife and maybe my daughter) are devout Christians. They know I'm an atheist and even though I despise praying over a meal I just sit there quietly trying to figure out what I want to eat first lol.

Living in the middle of the bible belt there is always a huge Christian presence during Christmas / Easter / etc... But I suppose the way I look at it is like this. When I go to the store and someone wishes me "Merry Christmas" I don't get offended. Even though I think their judgement is misguided, they are being nice. And being nice during this day in time is in short supply. So I politely say back "you too". I see no need to tell them I'm a non-believer just for the sake of proving a point.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
14-11-2017, 02:07 PM
There's not too much that's religious about Christmas anymore. It's all about keeping the economy humming along. Without Christmas world economy would collapse. (It's also adding to global warming but that's another topic.)

Most of Christmas is pagan in origins anyway. The tree, the wreath on the door, Dec. 25th are all pagan traditions. Nowhere in the New Testament does it say to celebrate Jesus' birthday with a big ol turkey or crown roast and eat yourself into oblivian.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-11-2017, 02:09 PM
(14-11-2017 02:07 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Most of Christmas is pagan in origins anyway. The tree, the wreath on the door, Dec. 25th are all pagan traditions. Nowhere in the New Testament does it say to celebrate Jesus' birthday with a big ol turkey or crown roast and eat yourself into oblivion.

That's why I celebrate Yule instead, where such things are par for the course. Angel

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
14-11-2017, 02:21 PM
(14-11-2017 02:09 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(14-11-2017 02:07 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Most of Christmas is pagan in origins anyway. The tree, the wreath on the door, Dec. 25th are all pagan traditions. Nowhere in the New Testament does it say to celebrate Jesus' birthday with a big ol turkey or crown roast and eat yourself into oblivion.

That's why I celebrate Yule instead, where such things are par for the course. Angel

I forgot about the Yule log. That's pagan too. For us folks in the Northern Hemisphere Christmas gives us something to do in the middle of the dark winter months when the sun goes down at 4:30. By the time Christmas actually gets here I'm pretty sick of it though, especially the horrid fruit cakes we get. I throw them out. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-11-2017, 03:00 PM
[Image: pagans-are-the-reason-season-10026427.png]

Delicious food, spending quality time with family and loved ones, playing games, drinking wine and the joy of seeing my kid's eyes light up with wonder? No jesus or religion required.

Sign me up!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like ShadowProject's post
14-11-2017, 03:32 PM
(14-11-2017 03:00 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  [Image: pagans-are-the-reason-season-10026427.png]

[Image: reasonfortheseason_axialtilt.jpg.CROP.or...iginal.jpg]
[+] 9 users Like Rockblossom's post
14-11-2017, 04:20 PM
I have no trouble with "religious" holidays because as was pointed out above they are pagan in nature. A mid winter feast because you can is beautiful although Australians may think otherwise. So don't avoid the pagan in those celebrations but enjoy it, even if you must hear from some relative about the joy of some god.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
14-11-2017, 04:34 PM
This atheist goes big with Halloween. Real big.

Thanksgiving to us has no religious over or undertones to it. It's about getting together and lots of food and football.

Christmas was a big deal when my kids were young but that was all about Santa. Christmas becomes less and less a thing since the kids are grown with kids of their own and creating their family traditions.

Easter is pretty much ignored...no kids so no baskets. I might fill the candy bowl with candies that are wrapped in pastels because that's when they sell at that time of year.

There's no should. We do what works for us. It doesn't ever include a church service or prayer. It's just time off work and time with family.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
14-11-2017, 06:53 PM
(14-11-2017 12:51 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Should atheists celebrate holidays with religious roots?

Will there be alcohol? Shy

(14-11-2017 12:57 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Also, I would like to update my poll to include multiple voting options.

I picked maple pickles, or whatever, but only cuz you left out alcohol! Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post