Should churches be taxed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2013, 01:35 AM
Should churches be taxed?
Exactly what the title says. Should churches be taxed?

I can only speak from experience in the United States, as I'm uncertain how this works in other countries. Here it's a hot issue every few years then it gets completely forgotten about. It's been a while since the concept got any press whatsoever, and this made me realize I've never really talked this out with an intelligent audience.

I know what a lot of you were thinking when you read the title. It was along the lines of "Hell no, because then churches would be allowed to advocate specific political candidates." For a while I felt the same way myself. Then I remembered that around election days, the local pastor would usually have a sermon prepared that focused on abortion or some other decidedly political issue. They don't have to explicitly state something to imply that God wants them to vote a certain way. They've been sneaking politics in all along.

Thoughts?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2013, 01:39 AM
RE: Should churches be taxed?
In all fairness.....

Fuck yes they should.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
24-11-2013, 02:44 AM
Like you mentioned, they use the money they currently generate to meddle in politics, tax the hypocrites.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
24-11-2013, 03:44 AM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...the-church

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
24-11-2013, 03:54 AM
^Ahhh. Pardon me. I guess I should request that this be merged with the older thread to avoid clutter.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
24-11-2013, 05:00 AM
Yup. What other response would you expect from a bunch of Atheists?

Big Grin

24-11-2013, 05:44 AM
I think my view would be "it depends." On what? On the specific activities that church or religious organization engages in. Basically, I don't think religious organizations should be granted one status or another simply in virtue of the fact that they're religious. So if the organization's activities would disqualify it from tax-exempt status if it were a "secular" organization, the same should go for a nominally "religious" organization. And, vice-versa, tax-exempt status should be granted to religious organizations whose activities are akin to other, say, 501©3 organizations.
24-11-2013, 05:53 AM
(24-11-2013 05:44 AM)Philo Wrote:  I think my view would be "it depends." On what? On the specific activities that church or religious organization engages in. Basically, I don't think religious organizations should be granted one status or another simply in virtue of the fact that they're religious. So if the organization's activities would disqualify it from tax-exempt status if it were a "secular" organization, the same should go for a nominally "religious" organization. And, vice-versa, tax-exempt status should be granted to religious organizations whose activities are akin to other, say, 501©3 organizations.

So essentially, yes, they should be taxed. I like the pedantic types though Thumbsup.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
24-11-2013, 07:34 AM
One of the reasons for not taxing churches is the establishment clause.

A government that wanted to favor one church could impose inequitable taxes on the others to the advantage of the favored church, thus violating the spirit of the law.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2013, 07:42 AM
But Chas, if they tax all religious entities regardless of faith in the same way, then it wouldn't violate the establishment clause.

Also, wisconsin just declared Religious tax exemption on allowances unconstitutional...thats one state down folks, (and it's a red state at that).

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"