Should men be forced to pay child support?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2014, 11:39 AM
RE: Should men be forced to pay child support?
(25-08-2014 11:04 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  I am probably going to get some heat for this but I wore my big boy pants today so here it goes....

If a guy is truly worried about paying child support he has options. He could not have sex, wear a condom, or who knows what else. But the second you choose to have sex, as a guy, you are taking a risk and it could end up in a pregnancy. I don't buy into the whole forced to pay child support argument because no one forced you to have sex in the first place.

To me this boils down to an issue of control. As a guy in this situation after the deed is done you have no control.... tough shit. The decision is now not up to you; you had your chance to make the decision before you took your clothes off. Whether this is fair or right is of little consequence to me. It is a woman's body and she can do with it as she pleases and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

Your pull out game was weak, and you're not the one with a seed inside of you. What can you say? It's not being "forced" to do something, it's facing the consequences/results of an action you made. If you're already having consensual sex, you're old enough to stop whining like a fucking child, because at that point you're no longer a child.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
25-08-2014, 12:59 PM
(25-08-2014 11:30 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  You say it like there's something wrong with that...
Um well ya, cuz there is. You really don't see it? Ohmy

(25-08-2014 11:30 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  If they were completely honest and the guy states that he will not be a father or financial support, and they still bang, it would be dishonest of the woman to file for child support.
Oh, this is why you don't see it. You changed the parameters. I didn't say anything about having discussed that the man will not be a father or give financial support. Yeah, the woman would have little say in the matter if she agreed to that. But, if the man really wants to say "I want all the fun but no responsibility", then yeah he's still fucking selfish as all hell. Dodgy

(25-08-2014 11:30 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
Quote:Now some will argue the same can be said about the woman. She chose not to have an abortion against the man's wishes so she doesn't give a shit about him either and that's also selfish. Well no, that one depends on why she didn't abort. If it's against her personal moral code, for example, that's not selfish. That's her reality.

Appeal to feels? Srsly? Dodgy
How is reality "feels"? If she thinks abortion is murder... maybe the man should just murder her and be done with it. Or is his not wanting to do so, just "feels"? Drinking Beverage

(25-08-2014 11:30 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  What if the man has some terribad genetic trait or hereditary disease that will either harm the child or negatively impact the world? Would that trump an appeal to feels?
If there is a real potential harm to the child, then one option is for him to provide just financial support. But honestly, you're sounding desperate now, especially with the "negatively impact the world" bit.

(25-08-2014 11:30 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  And if we're accepting morality based on feels, why is some (albeit probably completely fucked up) emotional reasoning from the man not applicable?
We're not. We're considering the best interests of the child.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
25-08-2014, 01:24 PM
(25-08-2014 11:39 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 11:04 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  I am probably going to get some heat for this but I wore my big boy pants today so here it goes....

If a guy is truly worried about paying child support he has options. He could not have sex, wear a condom, or who knows what else. But the second you choose to have sex, as a guy, you are taking a risk and it could end up in a pregnancy. I don't buy into the whole forced to pay child support argument because no one forced you to have sex in the first place.

To me this boils down to an issue of control. As a guy in this situation after the deed is done you have no control.... tough shit. The decision is now not up to you; you had your chance to make the decision before you took your clothes off. Whether this is fair or right is of little consequence to me. It is a woman's body and she can do with it as she pleases and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

Your pull out game was weak, and you're not the one with a seed inside of you. What can you say? It's not being "forced" to do something, it's facing the consequences/results of an action you made. If you're already having consensual sex, you're old enough to stop whining like a fucking child, because at that point you're no longer a child.
I agree completely.
25-08-2014, 01:25 PM
(21-08-2014 07:37 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Sure it is, I can wear a condom and have her claim to be on the pill, I did my due diligence but no birth control is 100%. I can have stated before I never wanted a child but once an accident occurs only 1 of us has a choice and I would have to live with it regardless of what I want. How is that not an encroachment? As I said it is an unavoidable one as only 1 party can be given control and in this case the woman gets the nod due to cultural bias and history.

And biology. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
25-08-2014, 01:41 PM
(25-08-2014 01:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 07:37 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Sure it is, I can wear a condom and have her claim to be on the pill, I did my due diligence but no birth control is 100%. I can have stated before I never wanted a child but once an accident occurs only 1 of us has a choice and I would have to live with it regardless of what I want. How is that not an encroachment? As I said it is an unavoidable one as only 1 party can be given control and in this case the woman gets the nod due to cultural bias and history.

And biology. Drinking Beverage

Unintentional oversight.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-08-2014, 02:16 PM
(22-08-2014 02:22 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 11:30 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Also, are you saying that men have no feels when it comes to abortion?

No I'm not, and I'll thank you not to invent arguments I wouldn't make then accuse me of making them.

He didn't accuse you of anything. He asked you a question.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-08-2014, 02:19 PM
(23-08-2014 11:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dunno about other States, but in The Peoples Republic of Maryland if a man raising a kid finds out later that the kid is not his and gets a divorce he's still on the hook for child support. 'Cause that's just how we roll comrade bitches.

(22-08-2014 08:22 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Because I would never refuse to provide care for a child I created.

Aren't you required to ask the NHS for special dispensation before you reproduce because of your genetic ... Consider ... anomalies?

This comes from the Common Law presumption that children born during a marriage are of the marriage.

25-08-2014, 02:51 PM
(25-08-2014 02:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 02:22 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  No I'm not, and I'll thank you not to invent arguments I wouldn't make then accuse me of making them.

He didn't accuse you of anything. He asked you a question.

TTA: Atheist's most emotional debate board. Drinking Beverage
25-08-2014, 02:53 PM
(25-08-2014 02:51 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 02:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  He didn't accuse you of anything. He asked you a question.

TTA: Atheist's most emotional debate board. Drinking Beverage

Have you not been to Atheism +?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
25-08-2014, 03:14 PM
(25-08-2014 02:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 02:51 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  TTA: Atheist's most emotional debate board. Drinking Beverage

Have you not been to Atheism +?

Nope, only here and AF.