Should men be forced to pay child support?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2014, 07:44 AM
RE: Should men be forced to pay child support?
It depends on the situation.
If the woman lied to the man, saying she was on birth control but wasn't? He shouldn't have to pay anything.
If the birth control failed, but she wants to keep the baby anyway and he doesn't? This is where it gets tricky. No birth control is 100% effective, so they both know (or should know) that they were taking a risk. I'm not sure what the appropriate thing to do would be in this situation.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2014, 07:45 AM
(21-08-2014 07:27 AM)Antonis Wrote:  Women are perfectly abled to work and provide to their children.

Who stays with the child while single mom is at work? Should mom pay for that herself? When my kids were young and we both were working, childcare was a small fortune.

Childcare is just one of the things support goes to. I'm guessing you just got hit with a support order and you're not happy about it.
Go get a vasectomy now before you get into another bind. They're fairly cheap, not all that painful, and you won't be a daddy again.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
21-08-2014, 07:48 AM
This is not a simple question with a simple answer.

The OP's question is a rational one. It is a question of ethics, of responsibility.

It depends on the prior conditions and agreements (or lack thereof) of the two parties.
Was it planned? Was it an accident? Was it dishonest?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
21-08-2014, 07:49 AM
(21-08-2014 07:40 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Is this thread about child support? Or is it about abortion?

Or are you just the latest troll?

We've had loads of threads on abortion, try the search box.

why you assume i troll i really want to make a meaningful thread.

All i am saying is a double standard to force men to pay for an accident that happened but women can simply can get an abortion if they don't want it. If you disagree just explain me the reason i am an open minded person, don't accuse me of trolling.
[+] 1 user Likes Antonis's post
21-08-2014, 07:51 AM
(21-08-2014 07:44 AM)One Above All Wrote:  It depends on the situation.
If the woman lied to the man, saying she was on birth control but wasn't? He shouldn't have to pay anything.
If the birth control failed, but she wants to keep the baby anyway and he doesn't? This is where it gets tricky. No birth control is 100% effective, so they both know (or should know) that they were taking a risk. I'm not sure what the appropriate thing to do would be in this situation.

I am mostly reffering to the third situation.
21-08-2014, 07:55 AM
(21-08-2014 07:45 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 07:27 AM)Antonis Wrote:  Women are perfectly abled to work and provide to their children.

Who stays with the child while single mom is at work? Should mom pay for that herself? When my kids were young and we both were working, childcare was a small fortune.

Childcare is just one of the things support goes to. I'm guessing you just got hit with a support order and you're not happy about it.
Go get a vasectomy now before you get into another bind. They're fairly cheap, not all that painful, and you won't be a daddy again.

No i didn't get hit with a support order i am just stating an opinion on a controversial subject. I agree with your point about childcare but i thing the state should provide free childcare.
21-08-2014, 07:56 AM
(21-08-2014 07:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  This is not a simple question with a simple answer.

The OP's question is a rational one. It is a question of ethics, of responsibility.

It depends on the prior conditions and agreements (or lack thereof) of the two parties.
Was it planned? Was it an accident? Was it dishonest?

I am talking about accidents like broken condom or something.
21-08-2014, 07:57 AM
(21-08-2014 07:55 AM)Antonis Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 07:45 AM)pablo Wrote:  Who stays with the child while single mom is at work? Should mom pay for that herself? When my kids were young and we both were working, childcare was a small fortune.

No i didn't get hit with a support order i am just stating an opinion on a controversial subject. I agree with your point about childcare but i thing the state should provide free childcare.

That's a whole different can.
21-08-2014, 08:04 AM
The moment you (figurative, not you personally) decided to have sex is the moment you chose the risk of pregnancy (and it's responsibilities) was worth it for the feel good moment ahead.

If the risk of responsibility (pregnancy) was too high, don't have sex.

There is a moment a choice is made (except in cases of rape) that you are ok with the possible outcome of pregnancy.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 9 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
21-08-2014, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2014 08:23 AM by Adrianime.)
Muahaha.....darn I'm trying to find the thread where we talked about this for days..

Here it is: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-Abolished

My first post is on page 12 includes:

Adrianime Wrote:Yes, I believe there should be an opt out period in the first 3 or 6 months of pregnancy where if a man states, "I do not want this child, or any part in this child's life." Then he should not legally be required to pay child support. If women have the choice for abortion, men should have the choice for being part of that child's life (both emotionally and monetarily).

IMO, if a woman chooses to have the kid when the man does not want the kid, she should be prepared to raise it without his help. Enslaving his wallet for 18 years is BS, when he has no say if the abortion happens or not.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post