Should private schools receive state funded buses?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2012, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 06:33 PM by Jeff.)
RE: Should private schools receive state funded buses?
(17-08-2012 05:02 PM)RR Edwards Wrote:  Lets start with LDOE TITLE 17 RS 17:3381, RS 17:158, and RS 17:11

Those appear to be policies, not laws - they're from the Louisiana Department of Education's School Transporation Handbook. Just google "LDOE TITLE 17 RS 17:3381" to find the source.

As said previously, I think this is simply a policy matter.

Edit: Actually I think they are laws - but I can't find a source to read them. Can anyone else?

2nd Edit: Here's a link http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2006/143/143.html

Ok having looked through the Title 17 areas I don't see anything that prohibits the use we're discussing, and this provision seems to provide the grounds to approve it:

17:158
A.(1) Except as provided by Subsection H of this Section and in accordance with the requirements of Subsection F of this Section, each parish and city school board shall provide free transportation for any student attending a school of suitable grade approved by the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education within the jurisdictional boundaries of the parish or school board if the student resides more than one mile from such school.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2012, 06:36 PM
(17-08-2012 06:21 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 05:02 PM)RR Edwards Wrote:  Lets start with LDOE TITLE 17 RS 17:3381, RS 17:158, and RS 17:11

Those appear to be policies, not laws - they're from the Louisiana Department of Education's School Transporation Handbook. Just google "LDOE TITLE 17 RS 17:3381" to find the source.

Edit: Actually I think they are laws - but I can't find a source to read them. Can anyone else?

Ok having looked through the Title 17 areas I don't see anything that prohibits the use we're discussing, and this provision seems to provide the grounds to approve it:

A.(1) Except as provided by Subsection H of this Section and in accordance with the requirements of Subsection F of this Section, each parish and city school board shall provide free transportation for any student attending a school of suitable grade approved by the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education within the jurisdictional boundaries of the parish or school board if the student resides more than one mile from such school.

I gave you three - read all three. This one mentions that the school has to be approved.
17-08-2012, 06:51 PM
(17-08-2012 06:36 PM)RR Edwards Wrote:  I gave you three - read all three. This one mentions that the school has to be approved.

Yes 17:11 provides the means to approve a private school. I still don't see that the law gets in the way.
17-08-2012, 07:52 PM
(17-08-2012 06:36 PM)RR Edwards Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 06:21 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Those appear to be policies, not laws - they're from the Louisiana Department of Education's School Transporation Handbook. Just google "LDOE TITLE 17 RS 17:3381" to find the source.

I gave you three - read all three. This one mentions that the school has to be approved.

I was about to agree with you RR; however, I read what 17:158 said.

There are only a handful of private schools that aren't approved. They are mostly start ups by a local church.

The schools that are having the issues are SACS accredited and some have 5A enrollment (largest in the state).

[Image: vjp09.gif]
17-08-2012, 09:00 PM
(17-08-2012 05:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 02:36 PM)RR Edwards Wrote:  I honestly cannot guess what you are trying to say.

Me either...it was early and not awake enough.

Private school kids should not get a ride to a private school on a public school bus unless they are paying for it.

But I went to public school (because it's actually good over here) and I took the bus and it wasn't even included in my school fees.
I suppose one could argue if public school students 'pay' for the bus via their parents paying taxes, then should that also not apply to private school students.

Part of justifying spending money on education is that it benefits all society. Like I pay taxes, my taxes pay for some little shits education but then that little shit finishes his education, becomes a doctor and saves my life. Swings and roundabouts. I suppose this could be applied to here. The tax payer pays for these pom-pis shits to go to their private school but in return they have a better education and hence theoretically better jobs and more taxes.

Here however there is next to no difference in education quality between private and public. The reaosn why someone would send their kid to private is often religious purposes. But I've played sport against those kids and they can hardly be considered good little Christians.
Waste of $30,000 a term if you ask me.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
18-08-2012, 03:40 PM
It may have been said already but don't forget that parents of private school kids pay the same taxes into the public school system as every one else.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
28-08-2012, 07:04 AM
(17-08-2012 07:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 06:36 PM)RR Edwards Wrote:  I gave you three - read all three. This one mentions that the school has to be approved.

I was about to agree with you RR; however, I read what 17:158 said.

There are only a handful of private schools that aren't approved. They are mostly start ups by a local church.

The schools that are having the issues are SACS accredited and some have 5A enrollment (largest in the state).

My apologies, I had read another part of LDOE that made a clear priority and distinction for busing policy, but on further review, I see that specific law is for colleges and technical schools only. I now see most of your arguments are firmly rooted in the law.

A few things though - SACS accreditation and enrollment is only incidental. The only thing that matters, by the LDOE, is that the local school board approve the school. SACS accreditation should be considered by the school board, but it is not the only thing they should consider and they are not obliged to consider it at all.

(18-08-2012 03:40 PM)germanyt Wrote:  It may have been said already but don't forget that parents of private school kids pay the same taxes into the public school system as every one else.

This argument is irrelevant, it has no bearing on the case. The only thing that can be considered, without first changing the law, is what the law specifically addresses or similar situations as deemed fit by a judge from prior case law.