Poll: Should "racist" jokes be acceptable?
Yes
No
I have no idea, I'm only voting so I don't feel left out
[Show Results]

Should "racist" jokes be acceptable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2013, 04:10 PM
RE: Should "racist" jokes be acceptable?
(19-09-2013 04:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This is a good example of why racist jokes should not be acceptable. It literally invites genuine racism into the discussion. No matter the quality of the joke.

So why are jokes about nationality acceptable if jokes about skin colour aren't? Both are based on where/how you were born, what is the difference?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2013, 04:10 PM
(19-09-2013 04:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This is a good example of why racist jokes should not be acceptable. It literally invites genuine racism into the discussion. No matter the quality of the joke.

Yes it exposes it to the light of day. If you can never joke about things as a society it makes the world smaller. This is the part of the liberal mindset that I most hate "oh no we might offend someone" like thats a bad thing. Offended people make changes. Apathy is far worse.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-09-2013, 04:13 PM
(19-09-2013 04:10 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

So why are jokes about nationality acceptable if jokes about skin colour aren't? Both are based on where/how you were born, what is the difference?

Because everyone makes jokes about the English. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Re: Should "racist" jokes be acceptable?
Didn't say they were either.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
19-09-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm not saying that to be offended means anything, but recognizing that racism can be harbored within humor is important.

If a professor gets up in front of class day 1 and tells a racist and/or sexist joke, is that okay?

No, and not because it may offend. It's not okay because you now have a subset of the class that can't distinguish between that professor being a non-racist/non-sexist and a racist/sexist. After that, is it possible to be able to fairly evaluate the class or your performance (or the performance of others in it)?

If you are part of the group that is the brunt of the joke, you're going to look at every point off as if it is because of prejudice. And you have no way of telling if it is justified or not.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
19-09-2013, 04:18 PM
black people hate me i think not all but in general yes, so i cant reply let a black person reply here

how i am it shows they smell me and dont like how i think
19-09-2013, 04:26 PM
I don't suppose anyone knows of any free translation software out there that has an "Absolish to English" option do they?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
19-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Offending someone is not really a concern of mine, although I wouldn't consider it commendable to go out of your way to try to offend. Clearly I wouldn't care if someone claimed to be offended if I taught evolution and they were a creationist. But if I called them a creatard as a way of trying to intentionally offend them, then I'm just being a fucking asshole. And society has a way of shunning people who are assholes just to be assholes.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
19-09-2013, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2013 04:35 PM by absols.)
but im not racist at all, i couldnt have an african friend but i had many dark skin friends from french islands

and i saw the superiority they are compared to white french, they are way more present and react fast

while white skin seem to b absent for what it focus on inventing smthg, so dont take reality seriously, rarely reacting to others presence

but u can trust white way better in friendship bc they are sane so more true
19-09-2013, 04:37 PM
"I'm not racist, I have a black friend."

You're racist comments (as far as I can translate them) seem to imply otherwise.

—Thomas Henry Huxley