Poll: Should "racist" jokes be acceptable?
Yes
No
I have no idea, I'm only voting so I don't feel left out
[Show Results]

Should "racist" jokes be acceptable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2013, 05:05 PM
RE: Should "racist" jokes be acceptable?
Tradition was that the only one allowed to say anything to the King was the court Jester. Comedy is how a lot of people deal with difficult situations so no nothing should be off limits.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2013, 05:22 PM
(22-09-2013 03:27 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  
(22-09-2013 02:41 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  ^
Joke is a joke, it's not an idea.

My take on this is simple. If u're offended by a joke - fuck u.

I disagree. Jokes ARE ideas. Practically any message, no matter how offensive, can be packaged as a joke.
Saying that people should not be offended by a joke means that they should not be offended by
anything.

That's half right! Jokes are ideas. Ideas can be offensive. But the offensive idea can't be suppressed! Even if it's the idea of god! So, the joke can't be oppressed! We can't oppress thought of any kind!

I don't care if you are offended by my thought! My ideas. They belong to me. Give me your help! With your ideas!
22-09-2013, 05:33 PM
This is a non-issue! We WILL say and think whatever comes to our minds. If I think that green is the color of Satan, I'll say it! And you may not be capable of explaining to me that green is evil. But you have to at least be able to TRY to explain to me that green is just a color. While I have to be able to TRY to explain to you that cooties fly spaceships!
22-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Am I loosing everyone? I don't understand why this is not a question that is quickly swept away. Every idea is " acceptable" and worthy of exploration.
22-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Rev, that is true of me as certainly. Comedy is universal. Everyone likes to laugh. Who is deciding what groups of people are off limits anyway? Majority? Check. Powerless minority? Check. Foreigner? Check. Minority with some political power? Fuck no. Give me a break. The problem comes when people don't know a joke is a joke, or don't know that the premise is meant to be silly.

This thread was made because of muffs. Someone took exception with some racist joke he told. Meanwhile, how many gay jokes have been said to him, or by him? A joke is a joke.