Should religion be preserved in some form as a part of history?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: Should religion be preserved in some form as a part of history?
Considering how many things happened throughout history because of religion, it would be wise to keep the books, etc. on hand for reference. At some point in the future people may want to know just what the heck people were thinking to do the things they did...the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades...the list goes on and on.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2013, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 11:51 PM by Sam.)
It was either Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens who talked about the ancient Greeks. Nobody worships Zeus or Apollo anymore, but the buildings, texts, and monuments associated with them are preserved as an important piece of history.

One of the things that disgusts me about religion is iconoclasm... The mass destruction of art, literature and architecture. Its been a long time since Christian and Jewish iconoclasts, but only recently ancient Egyptian artifacts were destroyed by Islamists during the revolution in Cairo.

It doesn't matter whether you agree with what a text says, it may still be historically significant.

Personally, I think Mein Kampf should be required reading in schools... I despise the ideology, and the man who wrote it, but it gives an incite into why the Second World War happened, and is therefore an important historical document.

So, no... If ever there comes a time where religion is a thing of the past, its relics, art, monuments, texts, etc should be preserved as a significant part of human history. To do otherwise would be a form of iconoclasm and censorship. Ultimately it would simply replace one evil with another.

As we say in the Hippie Kingdom... Fuck Censorship!

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
21-10-2013, 11:51 PM
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Yes...

If only to give context to how batshit people once were

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-10-2013, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2013 02:28 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Those who forget (or purposely ignore) the past are doomed to repeat it. I would no sooner burn all of the Bibles than I would burn all of the photos of slavery in the American south. We must keep that record alive, to be aware that not so long ago we were that savagely barbaric to one another. If anything, we need more people actually reading the Bible, instead of just giving lip service to it and using it as justification for their own hatreds and prejudices.

Religion (like all mythology) should be studied, not practiced.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post