Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?
Soft drinks like other junk foods have caused major expenses on healthcare and alot of this expense is an unnecessary preventable occurrence. Should sodas be treated like the tobacco industry?

Soft drinks are now sold in many parts of the world, here is a random soft drink brand called Fanta. Fanta is sold in many palces from the balkans to Israel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internation...y_of_Fanta

Here is something else I found out about Fanta...not related to the discussion but interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanta#History
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2013, 05:23 PM
RE: Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?
Maybe it should be, maybe it shouldn't be. What's your stance and why?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
14-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Thumbs Down RE: Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?
(14-05-2013 05:19 PM)I and I Wrote:  Soft drinks like other junk foods have caused major expenses on healthcare and alot of this expense is an unnecessary preventable occurrence. Should sodas be treated like the tobacco industry?

Not a chance. Where do you draw the line? You would need to include every potato chip, tortilla chip, pretzel, popcorn, cookie, candy, cake, donut, etc. ...and that's just junk food. If your taxable criteria only pertains to healthcare, what about fattening foods: cheeseburgers, pizza, french fries, cheese, bacon, etc.

It sounds like the determination and regulation expenses wouldn't be cost-effective.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
14-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Re: Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?
Should they? Meh not really.

Will they be taxed more or have size cap limits, yes.

Should corrosive acids be sold in vending machines? Now that's a Question.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-05-2013, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2013 01:00 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Neither.
They should be shoved up your ass for starting yet another inane thread about absolutely nothing at all. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Yeah, tax em... People will claim slippery slope, but I don't think its difficult to set limits. All of the calories in pop are from sugar. Same with most candy... If they taxed all prepared foods with over 80%(or some set percentage) of calories being from simple sugars, it would help ease healthcare costs, and would be paid for by the group who will likely need healthcare the most. Chocolate bars have a large percentage of the calories coming from fats, and a very small amount from proteins, so I'm not sure how they would fit in to the sugar tax... I suppose the tax could apply to a certain amount (grams) of sugar, per 100g serving of prepared food.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
14-05-2013, 08:11 PM
What Jeffasaurus said. That and drinking too much water can kill you through diffusion Undecided It's almost like the gun debate. It's not the soda's, or the candy bar's, fault you can't keep from stuffing it in your mouth by the truckload!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
14-05-2013, 08:31 PM
After that how about salt....all that hypertension.

Then, perhaps all oils and fats.

Then, wheat and peanuts and milk...all those allergies.

Then butter (oil, dairy, and salt) the ultimate killer.

And sugar in general.

And then we could ban/tax...oh hell, let's just ban it all just for the shits and giggles and to see how creative people get.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Isn't it a wonderful world! That our problems are so few and insignificant that the government has the time a resources to worry about soft drinks?! Oh, what a wonderful world!

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
14-05-2013, 08:52 PM
(14-05-2013 08:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  After that how about salt....all that hypertension.

Then, perhaps all oils and fats.

Then, wheat and peanuts and milk...all those allergies.

Then butter (oil, dairy, and salt) the ultimate killer.

And sugar in general.

And then we could ban/tax...oh hell, let's just ban it all just for the shits and giggles and to see how creative people get.

Salt:Sodium is essential, and some people can run low. I was low in sodium when I was on a restricted diet while bodybuilding, and had to add some. I also have low-normal BP most of the time.

Fats: Fats are also essential. Saturated fats and cholesterol are required for hormone production. Unsaturated fats are required for normal bodily function and joint health.

Trans fat is not essential, and isn't even used by the body. Its the only fat that should be taxed... or just not used at all.