Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2013, 08:03 PM
RE: Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?
(21-05-2013 11:56 AM)I and I Wrote:  Nobody ever said you have NO FREE CHOICE. I said that your "choice" isn't a free one. The options you choose from are already influenced by societal upbringing...meaning the choice doesn't come out of sky, the choice is a result of societal influences,~

And this pisses you off because..... why? And what would you do to change it? Ban society? Force advertisers to run commercials only for things you approve of?

Quote:~which is why a person can't demand something or desire something that doesn't exist yet.

Are you kidding me? Is this a joke?

Quote:How does a person come to desire a product in the first place? Through societal up bring and commercials.

You don't need my help, you can answer your own questions. Wink

Quote:Lets just cut to the chase here this is a nature vs nurture debate, do you or do you not believe commericals influence people to consume more in any way whatsoever?

Oh come on... you already know the answer. Don't you?

Quote:Why do people buy snuggles? because they need them? NO because they demand them? NO They buy them because some idiot on an infomercial knew how to sell a product. We buy lots of things we don't need but these commercials convince millions of idiot consumers that the juicer x is better than the juicer A and you need this juicer in your life.

We should hang all the manufactures and advertisers, hand the factories over to the state and live in an ad free utopian world. That way you wouldn't be "coerced" into buying fabric softener.

Quote:I know that you guys have to deny this, or at least deny the strong impact commericals have on influencing consumption because that would blow the "free will" argument out of the water. But to be in such denial of the amount of influence commercials have is to simply deny reality.

Of course you know. Looks like you're busy now but, in a future thread it would be great if you could give me an update on my position on climate change.

Thanks in advance. Thumbsup

Quote:Nature vs nurture Drinking Beverage

So basically, corporations hire ad companies who create commercials that help sell their products because nature vs nuture.

Interesting argument.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
21-05-2013, 08:42 PM
(20-05-2013 06:05 PM)I and I Wrote:  How are ads not coercion?

According to you guys corporations are wasting money on ads because according to you guys it's not the ads that convince us to consume x product, it's all because we choose to consume it, 100 percent free choice.

I don't want an ice cream cone!

[Image: tumblr_lw6ia86caC1qmt06so1_500.png]

Consider ....I still don't want an ice cream cone Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
21-05-2013, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2013 11:44 PM by DeepThought.)
(21-05-2013 08:42 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Consider ....I still don't want an ice cream cone Drinking Beverage

[Image: Pink-corset-ice-cream-e1351442287926.jpeg]

or

[Image: blake-lively-leighton-meester1-e1350851962757.jpeg]

What about now?

Edit: Not agreeing with I&I... Just making that clear.

The issue is a little convoluted and with I&I involved it's difficult to have a real discussion about it. I do think that corporations like to exploit our weaknesses through various methods and you can apply various words to that. Mostly persuasion (like in the above examples). There are other things they do that could be seen in the grey area of morality. I'll leave that for another time.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
22-05-2013, 12:00 AM
(21-05-2013 07:24 PM)I and I Wrote:  I see a pattern in defending corporations on this topic, hence the complete denial of effectiveness marketing campaigns.

I saw a pattern of people disagreeing with your labeling of advertisements as "coercive." That isn't the same thing as denying advertising as a means influencing people's decisions, I doubt anybody here would deny that.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
22-05-2013, 12:08 AM
(21-05-2013 07:31 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 07:24 PM)I and I Wrote:  Wrong. I said that people's choice in foods is not a free choice. If I choose 10 brands of coffee to put in your house and you choose one of the 10. That is not a free choice because the parameters of your possible choices were controlled by me.
I never said we weren't limited by available options. I said we have the choice to choose one of those options, or to choose none of those options. Also, when and how much.

(21-05-2013 07:24 PM)I and I Wrote:  I see a pattern in defending corporations on this topic, hence the complete denial of effectiveness marketing campaigns.
No one is in denial that advertising is effective; only that it doesn't count as "coercion."

Its not a free choice after being bombarded with advertisements. People follow like idiots what advertisers tell them all the time, they convince them that a higher priced pair of shoes is a better shoe, or that make up will make women prettier. To pretend that most people don't follow along and are highly susceptible to what they are told is to deny common human characteristics and common history. Millions of people believe that Saddam Hussein had wmd's without ever seeing evidence and the reason they believed this was for the same reason advertisement works and is coercion. Do you believe brainwashing is possible or is it a myth?
22-05-2013, 12:15 AM
(22-05-2013 12:00 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  

I saw a pattern of people disagreeing with your labeling of advertisements as "coercive." That isn't the same thing as denying advertising as a means influencing people's decisions, I doubt anybody here would deny that.

People here are claiming that choices in foods as far as obesity problems are purely their free choice to consume dangerous products. I am arguing that it is far from a free choice and gave the examples of massive advertising efforts and money spent on advertising as a way to show that even the corporations know they need to convince people to consume shit. And I am arguing that throughout childhood being surrounded by ads and seeing ads all the time for junk food greatly influences people's eating habits and that by the time they are old enough to " choose" this so called choice is already filtered by previous massive amounts of exposure to ad campaigns. They seem to deny or at least greatly diminish the affects advertising can have on human eating habits.
22-05-2013, 02:17 AM
(14-05-2013 08:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  After that how about salt....all that hypertension.

Then, perhaps all oils and fats.

Then, wheat and peanuts and milk...all those allergies.

Then butter (oil, dairy, and salt) the ultimate killer.

And sugar in general.

And then we could ban/tax...oh hell, let's just ban it all just for the shits and giggles and to see how creative people get.

Agreed. I like soda. If you don't, then fuck off and don't drink it. I don't want stupid "sin" taxes attached to everything.
[+] 1 user Likes DerekS's post
22-05-2013, 02:32 AM
(22-05-2013 02:17 AM)DerekS Wrote:  
(14-05-2013 08:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  After that how about salt....all that hypertension.

Then, perhaps all oils and fats.

Then, wheat and peanuts and milk...all those allergies.

Then butter (oil, dairy, and salt) the ultimate killer.

And sugar in general.

And then we could ban/tax...oh hell, let's just ban it all just for the shits and giggles and to see how creative people get.

Agreed. I like soda. If you don't, then fuck off and don't drink it. I don't want stupid "sin" taxes attached to everything.

Do you even know what is in most processed foods? of course you don't, did you ever vote on or decide what was in these foods? or course you didn't, yet somehow when a corporation does this without the peoples consent it is not looked on as a bad thing, yet the government having anything to do with what people eat is somehow a bad thing. Since when are corporations these good samaritans that only have our best interests in mind and shouldn't be bothered by those evil government types?
22-05-2013, 08:43 AM
(22-05-2013 02:32 AM)I and I Wrote:  Do you even know what is in most processed foods? of course you don't, did you ever vote on or decide what was in these foods? or course you didn't, yet somehow when a corporation does this without the peoples consent it is not looked on as a bad thing, yet the government having anything to do with what people eat is somehow a bad thing. Since when are corporations these good samaritans that only have our best interests in mind and shouldn't be bothered by those evil government types?

How "corporations" influence what you consume:

How the state "influences" what you consume:

Who had the guns?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-05-2013, 08:46 AM
(22-05-2013 08:43 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(22-05-2013 02:32 AM)I and I Wrote:  Do you even know what is in most processed foods? of course you don't, did you ever vote on or decide what was in these foods? or course you didn't, yet somehow when a corporation does this without the peoples consent it is not looked on as a bad thing, yet the government having anything to do with what people eat is somehow a bad thing. Since when are corporations these good samaritans that only have our best interests in mind and shouldn't be bothered by those evil government types?

How "corporations" influence what you consume:

How the state "influences" what you consume:

Who had the guns?

I thought you already agreed with me that the government does what corporations want?