Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2013, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2013 01:42 PM by Thomas.)
RE: Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?
The Demand Elasticity for sugar soda is 0.30. That means that taxing it will increase tax revenues while demand will stay relatively high. It is a tax scheme, not a healthcare policy. It pays to be educated. Government tax officials ALL know this. They are doing it for the children, as always.

I spend an entire week lecturing my students on how advertising fools people into purchases, so I know a little about this subject. Advertisers can't get you to purchase something that you don't want, but they can manipulate you to purchase one particular product over another. They do this to max profits.

BTW, the human body craves sugar. How do they sell it to you at the highest profit? The government simple wants in on the drug sale. The human body is a natural sugar addict. Dates back to the starvation cycles we evolved through.

Humans are poor decision makers. We rely too much on comparisons between choices instead of direct value judgments on a single offer. Advertisers set up the choices and manipulate you to choose the option that they want you to. An example is two appliances setting on a shelf. One cost's $20.00 the other $25.00. The $20.00 unit is a junk. You recognize that by comparing it to the $25.00 unit and believe that you are making the smart buy purchasing the $25.00 unit. BUT, was the $25.00 unit worth $25.00? Almost never. The fooled you using the comparison choice. They set you up with the junk model that should be priced at $5.00.

Now you know.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
27-05-2013, 08:12 PM
(26-05-2013 01:38 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Humans are poor decision makers.

Some humans are "poor" decision makers.

(26-05-2013 01:38 PM)Thomas Wrote:  We rely too much on comparisons between choices instead of direct value judgments on a single offer.

What is your standard for "too much"?

(26-05-2013 01:38 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Advertisers set up the choices and manipulate you to choose the option that they want you to.

No, they don't manipulate me to that effect, because I don't base my purchasing on any advertisement(s).

I understand we can logically say, based on certain definitions of "manipulate", that advertisers "manipulate" consumers, but I propose we humans stop using the word "manipulate" to describe indirect influence. Advertisers directly influence ads, hoping to indirectly influence consumers to certain effect, but such effect does not occur without consumers' direct influence. Depending upon how people think, state, and perceive them, statements that "advertisers manipulate consumers to ______" can contribute to a limited scope of responsibility and ability, so I propose we acknowledge and express that advertisers manipulate ads, not people.
[+] 1 user Likes fat cat's post
27-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Some ads are funny...but none persuade me to buy something I wouldn't otherwise purchase and use.

The most they do is to introduce me now and then to new products.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
27-05-2013, 08:41 PM
(26-05-2013 01:38 PM)Thomas Wrote:  The Demand Elasticity for sugar soda is 0.30. That means that taxing it will increase tax revenues while demand will stay relatively high. It is a tax scheme, not a healthcare policy. It pays to be educated. Government tax officials ALL know this. They are doing it for the children, as always.

I spend an entire week lecturing my students on how advertising fools people into purchases, so I know a little about this subject. Advertisers can't get you to purchase something that you don't want, but they can manipulate you to purchase one particular product over another. They do this to max profits.

BTW, the human body craves sugar. How do they sell it to you at the highest profit? The government simple wants in on the drug sale. The human body is a natural sugar addict. Dates back to the starvation cycles we evolved through.

Humans are poor decision makers. We rely too much on comparisons between choices instead of direct value judgments on a single offer. Advertisers set up the choices and manipulate you to choose the option that they want you to. An example is two appliances setting on a shelf. One cost's $20.00 the other $25.00. The $20.00 unit is a junk. You recognize that by comparing it to the $25.00 unit and believe that you are making the smart buy purchasing the $25.00 unit. BUT, was the $25.00 unit worth $25.00? Almost never. The fooled you using the comparison choice. They set you up with the junk model that should be priced at $5.00.

Now you know.

Persuasion turned art form? Advertisers certainly do have it down to an art. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
28-05-2013, 12:20 AM
(26-05-2013 01:38 PM)Thomas Wrote:  The Demand Elasticity for sugar soda is 0.30. That means that taxing it will increase tax revenues while demand will stay relatively high. It is a tax scheme, not a healthcare policy. It pays to be educated. Government tax officials ALL know this. They are doing it for the children, as always.

Now you know.

Exactly: And as I pointed out earlier there is no such thing as a free choice because an individual is always influenced by their environment and the decisions made have alot to do with that evironment that the individual is assimilated into psychologically.
28-05-2013, 12:21 AM
(27-05-2013 08:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Some ads are funny...but none persuade me to buy something I wouldn't otherwise purchase and use.

The most they do is to introduce me now and then to new products.

You also aren't religious, does that mean nobody else is? These posts are about society not about you individually....typical woman thinks everything is about her. haha

next
28-05-2013, 02:05 AM
(28-05-2013 12:20 AM)I and I Wrote:  Exactly: And as I pointed out earlier there is no such thing as a free choice because an individual is always influenced by their environment and the decisions made have alot to do with that evironment that the individual is assimilated into psychologically.

Yes, we are simply objects subject to "physical law" like everything else, so all our choices result from and are a part of the product of both our internal and external environment, so "free will" is illusory, but that also means there is no such thing as free manipulation for advertisers, and thus advertisements don't always factor into the effects you see in individual or social purchasing patterns the way you claim they do.

(28-05-2013 12:21 AM)I and I Wrote:  You also aren't religious, does that mean nobody else is? These posts are about society not about you individually

Did Anjele say she was speaking for anybody other than herself? No. I therefore assumed she was simply stating advertisements' influence in her life in order to refute your generalizations. She is, after all, part of society.
[+] 1 user Likes fat cat's post
28-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Advertisements paints a rosy picture of the product. Teens, Young people tend to get swayed by them. The soft drinks consumption amongst the younger generation is very high which makes the power of advertisements apparent. Advertisements are coercive (undue influence) in the sense that it is silent of the bad effects of consumption of that product. Soft Drink advertisement will never mention the sugar quantity in the drink as high. So where is free choice. A person with medical / dietary knowledge will know the difference.

ALREADY CIGARETTES / ALCHOHOL ARE PROHIBITED DUE TO THEIR NEGATIVE EFFECTS ON THE HEALTH OF PEOPLE. THE ULTIMATE AIM OF THE SOCIETY FOR IMPOSING THESE PROHIBITION IS TO ULTIMATELY STAMP OUT ITS USE COMPLETELY.

So why not start with soft drinks by taxing them heavily and banning them from schools, colleges and so on.
28-05-2013, 06:34 PM
(26-05-2013 01:38 PM)Thomas Wrote:  The human body is a natural sugar addict. Dates back to the starvation cycles we evolved through.

I buy the rest of your insightful post but I don't buy that. Quit sugar more than 5 years ago now when I first got my prediabetes diagnosis. Didn't take more than a few weeks before I lost my sweet tooth completely. Sweet stuff makes me nauseous now. Don't think we evolved to be sugar addicts anymore than we evolved to be crackheads or heroin junkies. Can we be manipulated and conditioned into becoming sugar addicts? Sure, just as we can be manipulated and conditioned into being crackheads and junkies.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-05-2013, 07:11 PM
People are stupid. They consume too many sugary beverages, they smoke, they drink, they screw around with too many people, they believe in god...I could go on.

All that said, why should it be the job of government to save people from themselves? This smacks of a Brave New World where the government can figure out everything for us so we can just sit back live our happy, but bland and insipid lives.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post