Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2013, 08:53 PM
RE: Should soft drinks be banned or heavily taxed?
(14-05-2013 06:13 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Yeah, tax em... People will claim slippery slope, but I don't think its difficult to set limits. All of the calories in pop are from sugar. Same with most candy... If they taxed all prepared foods with over 80%(or some set percentage) of calories being from simple sugars, it would help ease healthcare costs, and would be paid for by the group who will likely need healthcare the most. Chocolate bars have a large percentage of the calories coming from fats, and a very small amount from proteins, so I'm not sure how they would fit in to the sugar tax... I suppose the tax could apply to a certain amount (grams) of sugar, per 100g serving of prepared food.

Interesting idea, and it would create an incentive for companies to reduce the sugar content of the foods.

They might come up with creative ways of getting the same addictive sugar taste without the health consequences.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2013, 08:54 PM
The point being that people cannot be expected to take care of themselves...the government must do it for them.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
14-05-2013, 09:02 PM
(14-05-2013 08:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The point being that people cannot be expected to take care of themselves...the government must do it for them.

If we allowed the government to get out of the way of natural selection, they/we would be freed from that obligation. But that's not likely going to happen, and if it's not, then government may actually have the right (obligation) to tell people what to eat. Personal freedom ends when someone else has to pay for it. Good questions but I have no good answers.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
14-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Yeah.....I agree. People can't regulate themselves anymore. Make the government do it. *facepalm*

(For the oblivious....that's sarcasm)
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
14-05-2013, 10:39 PM
The government should ban written sarcasm.

We spend our lives trying to understand and be understood by others, which is difficult enough with our limited language... But then one day, some jerk decided to say the opposite of what was actually meant. But hey, they say it in an unusual tone, so others can catch on. This continued, and unfortunately became part of everyday conversation.

I don't know who started written sarcasm, but they're an asshole.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
14-05-2013, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2013 10:59 PM by DeepThought.)
One could argue that the actions of the irresponsible are draining the wallets and diverting healthcare resources from more responsible people.

Also taxing is a subtle form of market control. We tax alcohol and nicotine and this doesn't stop people from consuming it. It creates an incentive to reduce it.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
15-05-2013, 12:50 AM
How is government regulating what we don't consume any worse than corporations telling us what we should consume through spending millions of dollars on advertisements and marketing schemes? Aren't corporations too playing a part in controlling our lives by mass marketing and monopoly?
15-05-2013, 04:03 AM
It won't help. I assume you want it to be taxed in order for people to stop using it....well, when ever in history taxing something prevented from people to use it? Ciggarettes and alcohol are maybe the highest taxed consume products, and it doesn't prevent from people to use them. The only solution is education, education and some more education.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2013, 06:17 AM
I do find it incredulous in the UK that you can go into a shop and buy a small tin of an energy drink for 35 pence, yet simple water can cost up to £1. Given a choice I'm sure most children would want to have the sweet energy drink (and probably a few adults as well)

Taxing wont work because it never has done before and banning them will just punish the people who are responsible.

Americans are often talked about in the Media over here in the UK with regards to obesity problems. Now i'm not stupid enough to think that all Americans have a weight problem as I would say that looking at the whole western world over the course of time there has been an increase in obesity in all countries, however America is painted as the worst.

So there is obviously a reason for this and I suppose this may divide opinion to what is the actual cause, however to me simply I would say that my opinion on the cause is down to Capitalism. Not the "big bad evil capitalism" but the weighing up of allowing a huge corporation to operate and produce these items in your country, bringing jobs and money and boosting the economy... to the actual health of people, because its easy for us to say "people should take responsibility" and yes they should, however they are not....as statistics show, so something needs to be done about it and the simple answer is... don't make the shit that makes you fat and gives you diabetes.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
15-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Taxing and banning are different things. Banning? No. Taxing? Yes, but not necessarily any more than other luxury items. In my state there is no tax whatsoever on any type of food at the moment. The idea being: food is a basic need, so the government does not involve it in the political process or tax it. However, soft drinks are not a basic need. They are a luxury item just like much other junk food, and should be taxed in IMO.