Should the wife submit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Should the wife submit?
So I attended my cousin's church wedding the other day, in my old church and the pastor gave a little speech about how the bible commands the wife to submit and the husband to love. Marriage vows even had "to cherish" for the husband and "to cherish and obey" for the wife. So yeah nothing new. Then the pastor said something like full submission and even went to the petty details like if the husband wants certain meals or for her to clean the house, she's gotta submit. So I was like woah, that's pretty fucking big (in my mind of course, haha).

I started thinking about how the husband can potentially deprive the wife of her hopes and dreams, make her his servant etc under the guise of love. They certainly seem pretty close to wearing a burqa.

How do you married people out there manage the marriage? Should anyone submit and how are decisions made and conflicts resolved?

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2013, 10:13 AM
RE: Should the wife submit?
Seen that at a couple of friends' weddings. Rubbish. They should be equals.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-11-2013, 10:13 AM
My wife and I work as a team. I think in any healthy relationship there is give and take. She is better at some things than I am and I do some better than she. Why ones gender makes one automatically right to "run" a releationship I cannot begin to fathom.

This little bit of bible wisdom obviously appeals to the leadership in the Abrahamic faiths (men).

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
18-11-2013, 10:17 AM
The silly thing is, a house maid is probably cheaper and she wont fuck your best friend and take half your shit.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
18-11-2013, 10:19 AM
The point of getting married, IMO, is to pool resources and have a better life because as a team you can support each other's endeavors.

Pooling resources includes brains.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
18-11-2013, 10:24 AM
(18-11-2013 10:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  The point of getting married, IMO, is to pool resources and have a better life because as a team you can support each other's endeavors.

Pooling resources includes brains.

And this means marriage why?

I could create a joint bank account with whoever I wanted (as long as they agreed obviously). Nothing stopping me moving in with whoever either.

You don't need to get married to pool resources.

The reason people get married is because they think it's the right thing to do.
They think that for people to take their relationship serious you need to be married. Society says to do so, so they do.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
18-11-2013, 10:47 AM
My first and third weddings were in a church...I pretty much let the standard vows stand but took out the obey.

Obey sounds to me like something you want your dog to do, it implies ownership.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
18-11-2013, 10:55 AM
(18-11-2013 10:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The reason people get married is because they think it's the right thing to do.
They think that for people to take their relationship serious you need to be married. Society says to do so, so they do.

No, there're... quite a few legal advantages conferred.

I agree that there are lots of people who don't do it for good reasons, but there are plenty of reasons.

... this is my signature!
18-11-2013, 11:02 AM
(18-11-2013 10:06 AM)guitarist Wrote:  I started thinking about how the husband can potentially deprive the wife of her hopes and dreams, make her his servant etc under the guise of love. They certainly seem pretty close to wearing a burqa.
The Bible also says husbands should love their wives so much that they would even be willing to sacrifice their lives for them.
Quote:Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
(Ephesians 5:25-28 ESV)
Obviously a husband who treated his wife the way you suggest wouldn't be showing this kind of love so he would have no right to demand complete obedience.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2013, 11:10 AM
(18-11-2013 11:02 AM)theophilus Wrote:  he would have no right to demand complete obedience.

He has no right to *demand* anything. Period. No matter what his actions may be.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post