Should values trump economic stability ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Should values trump economic stability ?
I'm posting this in regard to Brexit winning the EU referendum.

It seems to me that the main underlying argument is values vs economy in this referendum. Values of a nation can include a stable economy but the values I'm talking about are the values of democracy and freedoms.

Do you think it's worth losing stability for a period of time and have the quality of life drop slightly in order to preserve the values of a nation?

I think a lot of people of this generation seem to take these values for granted.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2016, 10:52 PM
RE: Should values trump economic stability ?
(23-06-2016 10:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Do you think it's worth losing stability for a period of time and have the quality of life drop slightly in order to preserve the values of a nation?

Is this a serious question?

I guess EU politics is just as disturbing as U.S. politics.
23-06-2016, 10:59 PM
(23-06-2016 10:52 PM)Foxen Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 10:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Do you think it's worth losing stability for a period of time and have the quality of life drop slightly in order to preserve the values of a nation?

Is this a serious question?

I guess EU politics is just as disturbing as U.S. politics.

Instead of doing the lefty condescending thing that has caused the rise of Trump, Brexit & The torys winning the last election, why don't you either answer the question, tell me why it's a silly question or just don't post anything at all?

I'm here to learn. I haven't slept all night (watching the EU referendum) either so I may write some daft things.

[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
23-06-2016, 11:01 PM
(23-06-2016 10:59 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Instead of doing the lefty condescending thing that has caused the rise of Trump, Brexit & The torys winning the last election, why don't you either answer the question, tell me why it's a silly question or just don't post anything at all?

I'm here to learn. I haven't slept all night (watching the EU referendum) either so I may write some daft things.

Then I guess you should have slept before you posted.
23-06-2016, 11:13 PM
(23-06-2016 11:01 PM)Foxen Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 10:59 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Instead of doing the lefty condescending thing that has caused the rise of Trump, Brexit & The torys winning the last election, why don't you either answer the question, tell me why it's a silly question or just don't post anything at all?

Then I guess you should have slept before you posted.

love you loads xxxxxxxxxxx

23-06-2016, 11:57 PM
I would view economic stability itself a 1 of multiple ranges of values itself.

But as for what these other supposed values itself are, if they're along the lines of some variation of respect to authority for sake of authority, tradition, and sanctity. Those are values if you don't favor them too much, you're more likely to be liberal and if you do favor them you're more likely to be conservative... "people of this generation" taking them for granted is probably fairly a comment able to be said about most generations about their own and the younger generations.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-07-2016, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 08:11 AM by Full Circle.)
I don’t think they are mutually exclusive, freedom/democracy vs economic stability.

I think the British people will have a long time to ponder this if it finally goes through. In the meantime they will have to gird their loins for the economic blowback that has already begun. People can’t pull money out of the UK fast enough at the moment and funds are having to freeze assets.

“U.K. property funds with about 18 billion pounds ($23.4 billion) of assets froze withdrawals as investors sought to dump real estate holdings in the aftermath of Britain’s vote to leave the European Union."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...rmedbroker

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg as investors the world over run from uncertainty, investors hate uncertainty. They will take their money out of the UK economy first and ask questions later, that is if they can.

ps “With the real estate tremors echoing the last financial crisis, the growing fear is that failure to control aftershocks from the Brexit vote will propel the economy into recession. The pound sank to a fresh 31-year low as the fallout continued to reverberate through financial markets.”

Hold on to your hats.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-07-2016, 08:10 AM
(23-06-2016 10:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm posting this in regard to Brexit winning the EU referendum.

It seems to me that the main underlying argument is values vs economy in this referendum. Values of a nation can include a stable economy but the values I'm talking about are the values of democracy and freedoms.

Do you think it's worth losing stability for a period of time and have the quality of life drop slightly in order to preserve the values of a nation?

I think a lot of people of this generation seem to take these values for granted.

What values are they defending? Is there a clearly articulated list? Other than not wanting those dirty foreigners to take their jobs, what do the Brexit crowd stand for? Freedom? Democracy? Scones and cream?

I thought one of the arguments for leaving EU was that the Brit economy would be *stronger*? All of a sudden now it's a heroic last stand for some kind of undefined values?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-07-2016, 08:13 AM
(07-07-2016 08:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 10:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm posting this in regard to Brexit winning the EU referendum.

What values are they defending? Is there a clearly articulated list? Other than not wanting those dirty foreigners to take their jobs, what do the Brexit crowd stand for? Freedom? Democracy? Scones and cream?

I thought one of the arguments for leaving EU was that the Brit economy would be *stronger*? All of a sudden now it's a heroic last stand for some kind of undefined values?

Whatever it stands for, I lost over a year's worth of retirement because of it. And I live in the states. Brits may think they are an island, but in today's world no one is an island. You've hurt a lot of innocent people.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-07-2016, 08:20 AM
(07-07-2016 08:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  

I think you’re unto something there MD. We are seeing played out on a national level what happens when the ‘Igotminers’ (I got mine you can’t have any) cut their nose off to spite their face. Makes me think of the bumper sticker “Hate is not a family value” for some reason.

To assuage the pain that is just begining to be felt the Brexiters will have to apply a liberal dose of ‘nationalistic justification ointment’ to their self inflicted boo boo.

[Image: Rash_Formula_Ointment_2_oz_large.gif]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post