Should values trump economic stability ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2016, 08:22 AM
RE: Should values trump economic stability ?
I have to follow that up by saying that if Trump is elected and does everything he says he’s going to do with regards to trade the US is going to need a truck full of ointment as well. Confused

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2016, 08:23 AM
(07-07-2016 08:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  Whatever it stands for, I lost over a year's worth of retirement because of it. And I live in the states. Brits may think they are an island, but in today's world no one is an island. You've hurt a lot of innocent people.

Dom, could you be more specific? Did your investments own UK property?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-07-2016, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 09:48 AM by julep.)
I guess we could agree that the idea of democracy has been preserved: the voters were allowed to weigh in on the issue, and what they voted for is going to happen.
To someone outside of Britain, it looks like the values of most importance to that majority were xenophobia and racism.

I admire, in theory, the idea of sticking by one's principles, even if it's personally costly...but these principles are the opposite of admirable.

It's a horrifically fascinating turn of events, to be sure.
07-07-2016, 08:42 AM
(07-07-2016 08:23 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 08:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  Whatever it stands for, I lost over a year's worth of retirement because of it. And I live in the states. Brits may think they are an island, but in today's world no one is an island. You've hurt a lot of innocent people.

Dom, could you be more specific? Did your investments own UK property?

No, I have a retirement account with a stock portfolio. I only lost a year's worth because I am well diversified. There are people who lost a lot more. There are also people who have portfolios containing nothing that touches Britain and those lost a lot less. Expensive lesson to the average person with a Roth or 401k or whatever: "Don't invest in Britain."

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-07-2016, 09:07 AM
(07-07-2016 08:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 08:23 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Dom, could you be more specific? Did your investments own UK property?

No, I have a retirement account with a stock portfolio. I only lost a year's worth because I am well diversified. There are people who lost a lot more. There are also people who have portfolios containing nothing that touches Britain and those lost a lot less. Expensive lesson to the average person with a Roth or 401k or whatever: "Don't invest in Britain."

“A year’s worth”...ouch. Sorry to hear that.

07-07-2016, 10:06 AM
(07-07-2016 09:07 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 08:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  No, I have a retirement account with a stock portfolio. I only lost a year's worth because I am well diversified. There are people who lost a lot more. There are also people who have portfolios containing nothing that touches Britain and those lost a lot less. Expensive lesson to the average person with a Roth or 401k or whatever: "Don't invest in Britain."

“A year’s worth”...ouch. Sorry to hear that.

As far as I go - ok, I do count on crap happening in the stock market. But a lot of others have lost more than they can hope to recoup within their time frame.

My point is that, when you act on your ideals rather than realities, in this day and age you affect many people around the world, whether they share your ideals or not. And they don't get a vote.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Values are just general biases that are presented as though they were ethics. Don't take them too seriously.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
07-07-2016, 11:14 AM
People are so myopic...

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's