Should violent criminals be castrated?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2013, 09:35 AM
The purpose of prison is to reform criminals, however this is not always possible. Many criminals repeatedly break the law and are undeterred by the prospect of punishment. There are several factors believed to contribute to criminal behavior, one important factor being high testosterone levels. It has been proven that testosterone is linked to aggression, in 1990 James Dabbs studied 4,462 men and concluded that "the overall picture among the high-testosterone men is one of delinquency, substance abuse and a tendency toward excess." Even in women, Dabbs found high testosterone
levels were related to crimes of unprovoked violence. Statistically men commit significantly more crimes than women, specifically violent crimes.

We know that castration can drastically alter an animals behavior, most notably by reducing sex drive and aggression. Not all aggression is caused by testosterone, however the University of California found that in 60% of dogs aggression could be treated with castration. Castration also causes sterility which, considering the inability of prisoners to raise their children, may be an added bonus.

Violent criminals destroy their lives and the lives of others, is society not morally obliged to save them from themselves via castration?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2013, 09:45 AM
RE: Should violent criminals be castrated?
No. No, they shouldn't.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
25-02-2013, 09:53 AM
(25-02-2013 09:45 AM)Vera Wrote:  No. No, they shouldn't.
Can you justify your opinion?
25-02-2013, 09:54 AM
(25-02-2013 09:35 AM)Grockel Wrote:  The purpose of prison is to reform criminals, however this is not always possible. Many criminals repeatedly break the law and are undeterred by the prospect of punishment. There are several factors believed to contribute to criminal behavior, one important factor being high testosterone levels. It has been proven that testosterone is linked to aggression, in 1990 James Dabbs studied 4,462 men and concluded that "the overall picture among the high-testosterone men is one of delinquency, substance abuse and a tendency toward excess." Even in women, Dabbs found high testosterone
levels were related to crimes of unprovoked violence. Statistically men commit significantly more crimes than women, specifically violent crimes.

We know that castration can drastically alter an animals behavior, most notably by reducing sex drive and aggression. Not all aggression is caused by testosterone, however the University of California found that in 60% of dogs aggression could be treated with castration. Castration also causes sterility which, considering the inability of prisoners to raise their children, may be an added bonus.

Violent criminals destroy their lives and the lives of others, is society not morally obliged to save them from themselves via castration?
Not a good idea. It will start with voluntary castration, and then move to involuntary castration....and then massive drug therapy followed by Brain Surgery to "make the inmate safe for society".

Have we learned nothing from the torture that was carried out at Guantanomo? "Enhanced Interrogation" techniques that started out as "Sleep Deprivation" morphed into a practice of Sadism.
25-02-2013, 09:56 AM
(25-02-2013 09:53 AM)Grockel Wrote:  Can you justify your opinion?
I say we just lynch the lot. Much cleaner this way.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
25-02-2013, 10:25 AM
(25-02-2013 09:35 AM)Grockel Wrote:  Violent criminals destroy their lives and the lives of others, is society not morally obliged to save them from themselves via castration?

No, society is not morally obliged to save anyone by mutilating offensive people.

While it is true violent criminals destroy lives, lives are just as easily destroyed by non-violent means as well; taking drugs, graffitiing inflammatory rhetoric, thievery, etc.,... should we castrate all offenders who destroy lives? What about doctors who commit malpractice - off with their nuts? What about women - actual violent women - do we remove their ovaries? Undecided

I do somewhat agree there is no chance of rehabilitation for very particular repeat or serial, violent rapists and pedophiles and oddly some of these criminals have actually participated in voluntary castration. I personally will go out on a limb and agree that convicted serial rapists and convicted serial pedophiles could have castration be part of their sentencing but I do not see that standing up in a court of law. (Previously, I have stated my opinion that serial rapists and serial pedophiles should forfeit their nuts - so - yea, fuck them.)
True, one would like the world to be a less violent place but nothing can be solved by snipping of a couple of offending organs. If one wants to stop violence, one should probably should start addressing with children the desirable advantages of a peaceful life, long before they even know they have balls or ovaries. Preventative medicine is a much better deterrent than radical surgery. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
25-02-2013, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2013 10:30 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: Should violent criminals be castrated?
Where?

Seems unusually and unproven to demonstrate results.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
25-02-2013, 10:43 AM
No its barbaric. The justice system should focus more on rehabilitation than punishment they do that in norway, and they have the lowest rate of re offenders in Europe.

Prisons are just somewhere to keep people out of the way until they are released to re offend and get sent back to jail its clearly a broken system but castration is far to extreme.
[+] 5 users Like FSM_scot's post
25-02-2013, 11:05 AM
I will put them in a room with the loved ones of the victim and provide the victims family with baseball bats.
Smile

Seriously, I don't think that would work for everyone. There may be innocent people accused of commuting crimes.

I Heart Qualia Soup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I saw this question and choked on my crackers.
OMG

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user