Should violent criminals be castrated?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 06:07 AM
RE: Should violent criminals be castrated?
(26-02-2013 06:12 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  In the famous Milgram obedience experiments, women scored just as high as men in their willingness to inflict electroshock on another individual... even after being told that the individual being shocked suffered heart problems. In a later obedience study that I can't recall at the moment, the ladies scored about 20% higher than the men.
Jeez, I was being flippant, guys (and making fun of myself for simply assuming stuff). 'Course I don't think women are inherently better than men (am perfectly aware that I'm the exception, not the rule Angel )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Okay I'm on to the next question... what do we do with the testicles?

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
27-02-2013, 07:08 AM
(27-02-2013 07:01 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Okay I'm on to the next question... what do we do with the testicles?
Wear them around our necks as trophies. Duh!

27-02-2013, 10:08 AM
(27-02-2013 07:01 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Okay I'm on to the next question... what do we do with the testicles?
Cup em.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 11:46 AM
(26-02-2013 10:46 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It actually did work out for finding out info on the human biology. It's just not very respectable, But if you're willing to castrate a man...
That goes down a very dark road......

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
27-02-2013, 11:54 AM
While I can't say a few of these guys don't deserve it for what they do, statistically it's never been shown to deter crime. But criminal justice has a component of retribution to it; society exacts it's final vengeance against the nare-do-wells. For use in the United States today, it would just be a test whether it violates the 8th Amendment. You could search old SCOTUS cases for a precedent on this.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
27-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I doubt it would be particularly effective in deterring all crime. However, the Czech Republic currently has a chemical castration policy in effect specifically for sex offenders. According to Wikipedia (sure, grain of salt) it has proven quite effective.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
27-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Also, remember that chemical castration is supposed to be temporary. The drug must be continually administered or the subject will revert. Some criminals have even opted to take the drug voluntarily and some have reported satisfaction with the results despite the side effects.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
27-02-2013, 01:28 PM
What about 'Clockwork Orange' style brainwashing? Would it be justified if it reduced re-offending? I think it would.
27-02-2013, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 01:36 PM by Vera.)
(27-02-2013 01:28 PM)Grockel Wrote:  What about 'Clockwork Orange' style brainwashing? Would it be justified if it reduced re-offending? I think it would.
How about trying to create better, more inclusive and less violent societies, by educating people, promoting peace, empathy, understanding of and respect for others, and getting rid of the cause of the problem and not its outcome, instead of thinking of ridiculous and so far impossible punishments/rehabilitation methods?

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post