Should violent criminals be castrated?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 02:18 PM
(27-02-2013 01:33 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 01:28 PM)Grockel Wrote:  What about 'Clockwork Orange' style brainwashing? Would it be justified if it reduced re-offending? I think it would.
How about trying to create better, more inclusive and less violent societies, by educating people, promoting peace, empathy, understanding of and respect for others, and getting rid of the cause of the problem and not its outcome, instead of thinking of ridiculous and so far impossible punishments/rehabilitation methods?

Is it really that simple? To presume that animals like us can become ideals through nothing but cultural practices seems overly idealistic to me. Remember, we are animals. We are affected by our own biochemistry. To ignore that seems foolish.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 02:27 PM
RE: Should violent criminals be castrated?
(27-02-2013 02:18 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Is it really that simple? To presume that animals like us can become ideals through nothing but cultural practices seems overly idealistic to me. Remember, we are animals. We are affected by our own biochemistry. To ignore that seems foolish.
Nowhere in my post are the words "simple" and "ideal" mentioned.

What is foolish is going backwards, to the times of corporal punishment and eye for an eye, instead of forwards.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
27-02-2013, 04:56 PM
(27-02-2013 02:27 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 02:18 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Is it really that simple? To presume that animals like us can become ideals through nothing but cultural practices seems overly idealistic to me. Remember, we are animals. We are affected by our own biochemistry. To ignore that seems foolish.
Nowhere in my post are the words "simple" and "ideal" mentioned.

What is foolish is going backwards, to the times of corporal punishment and eye for an eye, instead of forwards.

With this I agree.

27-02-2013, 07:07 PM
"How about trying to create better, more inclusive and less violent
societies, by educating people, promoting peace, empathy, understanding
of and respect for others, and getting rid of the cause of the problem and not its outcome, instead of thinking of ridiculous and so far impossible punishments/rehabilitation methods?"

Thanks. That's what I've been saying over and over and over and over ......

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 07:11 PM
to what end.. will it stop them from being violent?
03-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Personally, I can't support any punishment that involves dismemberment because it is irreversible if the verdict was wrong.
[+] 2 users Like Jacob Zentichko's post
03-03-2013, 09:07 AM
I've been wondering if it will take more than just social solutions to reduce the violent nature of humans. Has anyone seen any research done to find genetic solutions? Or some other solutions perhaps?

Overall, we have become less violent as a species. Is that strictly due to the progress of our societies? Hard to measure. We have dog breeds who are some of the most docile creatures we know. And yet, there always seem to be anomalous individuals within those docile breeds, or even just anomalous moments for individuals, where that violent nature we were trying to select out still comes through.

03-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Isn't cutting off body parts torture? Oh yeah I am talking to American fucktards who get off on seeing or the thought of someone being tortured.
03-03-2013, 10:19 AM
"I've been wondering if it will take more than just social solutions to
reduce the violent nature of humans. Has anyone seen any research done
to find genetic solutions? Or some other solutions perhaps?"

If by social solutions you mean laws, then no. As for research, there has been a lot of research done. From a genetic standpoint, there is no "rapist" gene, etc. There are some genes related to violence but those are neither necessary nor sufficient to cause rapists, serial killers, et al. Epigenetics explains a lot of how these genes develop and how they are turned on. In the end though, it is environment that causes individuals to be violent, sociopathic, psychopathic...

There are some relevant links in this post. Also, The Institute for Psychohistory has a lot of information on how/why humans are becoming less violent. Also, Gabor Maté has a really interesting book on addiction that includes a lot of pertinent reference material. It is called In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
06-03-2013, 09:41 PM
(25-02-2013 09:35 AM)Grockel Wrote:  The purpose of prison is to reform criminals, however this is not always possible. Many criminals repeatedly break the law and are undeterred by the prospect of punishment. There are several factors believed to contribute to criminal behavior, one important factor being high testosterone levels. It has been proven that testosterone is linked to aggression, in 1990 James Dabbs studied 4,462 men and concluded that "the overall picture among the high-testosterone men is one of delinquency, substance abuse and a tendency toward excess." Even in women, Dabbs found high testosterone
levels were related to crimes of unprovoked violence. Statistically men commit significantly more crimes than women, specifically violent crimes.

We know that castration can drastically alter an animals behavior, most notably by reducing sex drive and aggression. Not all aggression is caused by testosterone, however the University of California found that in 60% of dogs aggression could be treated with castration. Castration also causes sterility which, considering the inability of prisoners to raise their children, may be an added bonus.

Violent criminals destroy their lives and the lives of others, is society not morally obliged to save them from themselves via castration?
Society is not obliged to save anyone from themselves. That whole concept is nonsense.

If offenders are that far beyond rehabilitation,then removing them from society by the death penalty would be more efficient.

Castration as punishment would open the door to all types of legal,and ethical questions-that probably could not be "answered" without some level of totalitarian enforcement. I think that's the main problem with any type of punishment practice....the threat of totalitarian behavior is always right around the corner.