Should we all limit our travel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Should we all limit our travel
I was in Yellowstone last summer. Many of the most popular attractions were more or less off limits because one would have to wait 10-20 minutes to find a parking place and it got boring. Traveled to the far north of the park and it was as crowded and we did not stop. Our original visits circa 1978 and 1990 were so much more comfortable.

I was in (Iceland) Island the previous summer. It is a country of some 300,000 and gets some 2,000,000 tourists annually. I have the connection that my mothers parents were both born in Island and had visited there in 1967. The difference was so dramatic as to be shocking.

Yosemite which I first visited circa 1951 and have visited maybe 35 times in the intervening years has been so overcome with tourists it is scary. The first time I went to Glacier Pt. there was a gravel parking lot for some 7 cars, now I would suggest the paved lot is more like for 70 cars. The last I was there my son had to stand in a parking place to hold it for us.

I live in Marin Co. California. Muir Woods is quite interesting. I could only visit it now if I took the bus to Mill Valley and hiked over the hill because trying to park there is so difficult. I suppose I could wait for a really rainy day.

I suggest that we very much consider travel that is either very local to ourselves or is to places that not many go to. For myself the northeast corner of California is looking more attractive.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JAH's post
18-10-2017, 02:30 PM
RE: Should we all limit our travel
(18-10-2017 02:22 PM)JAH Wrote:  I was in Yellowstone last summer. Many of the most popular attractions were more or less off limits because one would have to wait 10-20 minutes to find a parking place and it got boring. Traveled to the far north of the park and it was as crowded and we did not stop. Our original visits circa 1978 and 1990 were so much more comfortable.

I was in (Iceland) Island the previous summer. It is a country of some 300,000 and gets some 2,000,000 tourists annually. I have the connection that my mothers parents were both born in Island and had visited there in 1967. The difference was so dramatic as to be shocking.

Yosemite which I first visited circa 1951 and have visited maybe 35 times in the intervening years has been so overcome with tourists it is scary. The first time I went to Glacier Pt. there was a gravel parking lot for some 7 cars, now I would suggest the paved lot is more like for 70 cars. The last I was there my son had to stand in a parking place to hold it for us.

I live in Marin Co. California. Muir Woods is quite interesting. I could only visit it now if I took the bus to Mill Valley and hiked over the hill because trying to park there is so difficult. I suppose I could wait for a really rainy day.

I suggest that we very much consider travel that is either very local to ourselves or is to places that not many go to. For myself the northeast corner of California is looking more attractive.

Try going north up the coast. The Oregon coast is gorgeous and not very touristy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-10-2017, 02:37 PM
I second Oregon. I also recommend Denali National Park if you're willing to go that far. Breathtaking, even on a cloudy day Denali dominates the landscape.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
18-10-2017, 02:52 PM
I've been more than fifty miles from here once in the past two years. Went out into the country to watch the eclipse.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Head north and don't stop til you see igloos. Canada is the 2nd largest country in terms of total area, but near the bottom of the list in terms of population density, with the majority of the population crammed into a few (very boring) cities along the U.S. border. You want some wilderness without the crowds, this is where you go Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
18-10-2017, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2017 03:39 PM by Rockblossom.)
(18-10-2017 02:54 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Head north and don't stop til you see igloos. Canada is the 2nd largest country in terms of total area, but near the bottom of the list in terms of population density, with the majority of the population crammed into a few (very boring) cities along the U.S. border. You want some wilderness without the crowds, this is where you go Big Grin

Having made refueling stops at Goose Bay, Labrador while on military flights to/from Europe, I can vouch for the "wilderness without crowds" part. It would be a great place for a cheap weekend vacation, as you could stay there for two days and it would seem like a couple of weeks. I was there for 5 hours one day while it was snowing heavily, and that five hours seemed like at least a week. When there's heavy snow, you can't see the trees. Of course, when there's no snow, you still can't see trees (though the locals do have some tall-ish bushes they insist on referring to as "trees"), so the time of year is mostly irrelevant to the enjoyment. I'm sure I could work up some tourist brochures.

[Image: happy-valley-goose-bay-labrador.jpg]
Drinking Beverage
18-10-2017, 03:30 PM
I don't leave the perimeter of my property. Magic Leap will take care of any future travel dreams.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-10-2017, 03:43 PM
(18-10-2017 03:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I don't leave the perimeter of my property.

Understandable. When does the ankle monitor come off?
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
18-10-2017, 03:52 PM
(18-10-2017 02:54 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Head north and don't stop til you see igloos. Canada is the 2nd largest country in terms of total area, but near the bottom of the list in terms of population density, with the majority of the population crammed into a few (very boring) cities along the U.S. border. You want some wilderness without the crowds, this is where you go Big Grin

We could extend the US border north by 200 miles and abandon the rest.

We want BC or the deal's off. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-10-2017, 08:06 PM
I would say, yes. It's a lot cheaper and less of a hassle.