Poll: Should we have a "Christian Theology" sub-forum?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Should we have a "Christian Theology" sub-forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 05:24 AM
RE: Should we have a "Christian Theology" sub-forum?
I like the idea if it will make theists more willing to join. I think sometimes we could do with a few more theists who stick around long term.

If theists would be totally indifferent to it then I see no reason to.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2012, 05:42 AM
My fault Kineo...I did something to the quote...sorry. Confused

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-03-2012, 07:36 AM
(30-03-2012 05:24 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I like the idea if it will make theists more willing to join. I think sometimes we could do with a few more theists who stick around long term.

If theists would be totally indifferent to it then I see no reason to.
[Again, dropping my usual flippant tone]
Why do we want more theists? You're not going to be able to stop the preaching. It's bad enough with the couple that we already have. I really don't feel like our goal should be to get more theists. Frankly that's why I came here, to escape that shit. Yet, with KC and Egor, theology already accounts for more than half the posts here.

I just don't see the point.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-03-2012, 07:39 AM
(30-03-2012 07:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  [Again, dropping my usual flippant tone]
Why do we want more theists? You're not going to be able to stop the preaching. It's bad enough with the couple that we already have. I really don't feel like our goal should be to get more theists. Frankly that's why I came here, to escape that shit. Yet, with KC and Egor, theology already accounts for more than half the posts here.

The place would get boring if there were only atheists, we can't really debate such matters if there are no theists, we all believe roughly the same thing. As long as they are here for calm debate as opposed to soul saving then I'm all for more theists.

Plus I don't want KC to get lonely Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
30-03-2012, 07:42 AM
(30-03-2012 07:39 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 07:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  [Again, dropping my usual flippant tone]

The place would get boring if there were only atheists, we can't really debate such matters if there are no theists, we all believe roughly the same thing. As long as they are here for calm debate as opposed to soul saving then I'm all for more theists.

Plus I don't want KC to get lonely Big Grin.
Meh.
He's got germanyt to keep him warm at night.

It's not something I'll debate beyond what I've said.
I just wanted to express my feelings about the idea.
Now everyone knows I hate what theists stand for. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Ultimately, Erx, I don't see how it could hurt. It isn't going to drive theists away, certainly, so people who thrive on debate won't be disappointed. It'll also tend to keep those kinds of discussions in a certain part of the forum, which will allow you to spend more time in the places where they're not getting involved.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I have come to the following summed up conclusions about what I'd like to see, and I'm going to vote "Yes" in hopes that something similar is put in place:

1) Document. A place there theology and counter-theological arguments can be documented and discussed. For the purpose of increasing intelligent debate. One of the arguments KC has made before is that atheists often take an opposing theological stance just for the purpose of a debate. This is true, but I don't think it's dishonest if you've thought about and studied that theological stance.

2) Discussion. A place to argue against the theological beliefs common today, for all faiths. It would naturally have a Christian leaning because most of us tend to live in Christian dominated areas. But I'd really like to see the Islamic faith and doctrine discussed and arguments provided against them.

3) Study. There are some of us to enjoy discussing religion because it's both enlightening to push the theology we once believed in to it's natural end and see what the implications are for it, and it's helpful in debate with friends and family members to be able to have an in depth knowledge of the subject matter. A huge pet peeve we have is when people say evolution is untrue without having any solid knowledge of what it actually is. The same must be true when we discuss theology with the religious. To do that you need to have a good understanding of it, but that doesn't mean you need to believe it. As a collection of articles and discussions are posted, it will make good reference material (so long as sources are provided) for dealing with friends and family members who want to discuss theology. Sort of like an vastly expanded section of the Biblical contradictions on the TTA main site.

Obviously I have a different end goal than KC, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the actions we would take don't somewhat align. I'm not looking to attract more religious people per se. I'm looking to collect resources for the purpose of supporting knowledgeable discussion, and bringing people to their senses. I am an anti-theist after all, I would like to see religion fade away from human consciousness. But perhaps we shouldn't be discussing theology- because it somehow legitimizes it too much... maybe we should stick to science. I don't know.

I do know some people don't have a taste to discuss that type of stuff, and others do. And we already get some criticism for being too friendly to the religious, this will be more fodder for having that argument all over again. Rolleyes I don't have a taste for discussing conspiracy theory, but I'm glad that the discussions are taking place here (to some degree Wink ). I realize that more religiously-oriented threads will irritate some people, just like the conspiracy ones irritate me by showing up in my "new posts" search all the time, but I try to just stay out of the discussions (sometimes not so successfully).

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
30-03-2012, 10:32 AM
(30-03-2012 09:55 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Ultimately, Erx, I don't see how it could hurt. It isn't going to drive theists away, certainly, so people who thrive on debate won't be disappointed. It'll also tend to keep those kinds of discussions in a certain part of the forum, which will allow you to spend more time in the places where they're not getting involved.
That's how it starts. What's the harm? Tolerance becomes license becomes indoctrination becomes registration into totalitarianism. Angel

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-03-2012, 11:02 AM
What erxomai is asking for is perfectly understandable. I also don't come here particularly for debate. I come here to have a place where I can discuss all sorts of topics without having religion pop up all the time. When I first came here I needed an escape, recently at times with this board I've felt I needed an escape as well. Egor has at times really bothered me, and made me feel like avoiding the conversation. I know from experience that I'm more vocal thn many. And I have always fought for the quieter people who share my views and would often back down if confroted. I see this idea as possibly turning into a bully pulpit that sort of thing is definitely not desired within a community filled with people who have left intrusive systems. Many of us have had difficulties with religion. I sometimes get surprised at how much some of the more active members seek it out.

I'd truly rather not have the discussions, but I'm here for a community and I try to expand on everything. I asked for something similar in a way not that long ago. After Egor made a few comments in grief threads that were abhorrent I asked that we entertain the idea of a "safe" forum. Somewhere where those with serious concerns can go with the determination that they are not making a joke. I personally still see that as something that would make more sense to add than an addition to the atheism and theism section. I feel that many avoid discussing things that they would like to discuss because they fear ridicule. Another Sinner brought up the fact that she often recieves riticule in looking for help just as a small example to prove my point.

I just see adding a christian forum as a rather unnecessary change that will incite some issues and has a high chance of (as changes to forums do) not really accomplishing much. What King is asking for will require we end up with more christian members. What Kineo is envisioning will be highly contested by members like Egor.
If you really want to make a forum for biblial discussion just label it theology. While christianity is a religion that the majority of members are around most it in no way should be given any higher credence. If the theology forum is filled with christian arguments that's fine, but it's completely different than having a forum which supposes importance in the christian bible. Do not accept that under any circumstance we should consider the christian bible something more than the book of the dead, the vedas, the qur'an, etc. We are not a forum that is supporting the importance of christianity. There should not be a move which makes this forum appear that way. If we had a christian forum then that would definitely be seen as a type of support, perhaps calling them the ultimate in delusion even. But this sort of distinction is not something we as atheists should seek. Even if christianity was the main opponent to atheism, giving them this credence would still be giving them credit I feel few of us have any belief they deserve. Nothing makes their bible anything more than any others.

We should stand by our own onvictions. Seth focuses on christianity because he is speaking for a broadcast, even still he attempts to go beyond christianity hen he can. We are an international forum with members from around the globe. I'd expect us to be quite capable especially seeing as how our members can look online at research before responding.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
30-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I agree completely that if we were to do this it should be a "theology" subforum, not a "Christian theology" subforum. I didn't make that clear in my post and I should have.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]