Poll: Should we have a "Christian Theology" sub-forum?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Should we have a "Christian Theology" sub-forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 12:31 PM
RE: Should we have a "Christian Theology" sub-forum?
(30-03-2012 09:55 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Ultimately, Erx, I don't see how it could hurt. It isn't going to drive theists away, certainly, so people who thrive on debate won't be disappointed. It'll also tend to keep those kinds of discussions in a certain part of the forum, which will allow you to spend more time in the places where they're not getting involved.

No, ultimately it doesn't matter. That's why I said I just wanted to air my feelings about it, but not interested in debating.
I will say the way I use TTA, is I click on "View Today's Posts". I hardly ever go directly into a specific forum by choice. Instead, I see all the current thread titles and click on what seems interesting. With this proposal, I'll have to see Theology threads whether I want to see them or not.
Is this the worst thing in the world? No.
Does it bother me? Yes.
For me, there are some PTSD issues around this, which is why I was so vehemently opposed. But again, not the end of the world and not likely to drive me away.
If there were a way to block unwanted forums from showing up in the list of current threads, then I'd have less to hate about the idea, except for the part where I believe it will encourage proselytizing theists to come here.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
30-03-2012, 12:36 PM
I think everyone is way over thinking this.

It would just be a place to post theology. Doesn't have to be just Christian but I think it would be lazy to just have one subsection labelled theology.
What about if we wish to discuss Buddhism within the confines of its doctrine or it's competing doctrine?
If it was all done within one sub forum it would become very thick an confusing. One group of people tryin to discuss Hinduism and another trying to discuss Taoism vs Buddhism an a third group trying to discuss the scripture of the NT, would very quickly become impossible to follow.

I appreciate the point of view that some of you are sharing in regards to the idea that this would somehow make this place too friendly to theists when in reality you've come here to get away from all of that.

For me I look at it as a learning experience without as much clutter. We already do this without the aid of our theist members because a lot of our members are very well educated on theology so we can't blame anything on them except for their own perspective.
The discussions would still happen. They did before KC and Egor. Seriously I promise.
All they did was give everyone else a direct source for debate and most of the time for punt up anger to be vented.

Havin a sub section where theology is discussed as it is in paper in any religion without having to resort to our bias could be really informative.
It could end up bein like a library full of info.
Also new members who happen to be theists would find an area that isn't blatantly hostile where they could actually research theology. And not just their own.

Why not create a thread concerning Norse mythology and some of the similarities to major religions still active today? We have a few people here who know shit tons about it.
I'd be interested in that. Their gods were so cool.

Or if we ever got anyone that was previously Hindu. I'd like to learn more about their theology. Preferably without having to dig through the piles of digs that are bound to crop up in a normal thread.

Also it might drive me to do my own research and report back without feeling like doing so was going to net me into a major debate I wasn't ready for or interested in having.

So far the votes are for no. I'm not sure why but since dumbass KC made it a vote in the first place I'll happily abide.

Edit: I believe there is a way to block unwanted forums from view now. Also that is the same way I usually use the forum too Erx, unless I get bored, then I have to mine.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
30-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Yeah, that's how I use the forum too, "Today's Posts".

Lucradis, that's sort of what I would envision too... I guess I over-explained.
30-03-2012, 12:45 PM
(30-03-2012 12:36 PM)lucradis Wrote:  So far the votes are for no. I'm not sure why but since dumbass KC made it a vote in the first place I'll happily abide.

Democracy, man!

I mean, if the majority don't want, then it shouldn't be added.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
30-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Deep said something about it, I haven't learned how it works yet maybe he'll explain. It would really help to relax a lot of issues if it was easy to manage.
I understand why you're asking for all of that organization Lucradis but that's going ahead of yourself. If we were to have a forum for theology which eventually had an adequate amount of information to branch off of then we could branch it. Observer has often rounded up threads on things. The rest of us can do the same. If the forum is instantly titled christian then how does that suggest we can discuss other religions there? It would suggest this same sort of discussion for other religions must fit in our umbrella forum. Why not propose one of two things to the idea. Either make two sub - forums so that we have a non christian area or not call it christian theology. I cast a no vote because King's original proposition was not appealing. It's possible that after discussion the vote would go differently.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
30-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Well, the only reason I said "Christian Theology" is because I under estimate the apparent interest in other theologies. I assumed only Christian Theology because, as I said, many of us have some sort of relationship to it; whether it be past or present.

I'm all for an all-inclusive theology forum.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
30-03-2012, 01:26 PM
I wasn't going ahead of myself I was fleshing out my argument.
i stated that I would use it as essentially a branching off point. Which is why to me it would work like this:

Theology (or some title)
l
l
/\
/ \
Christ Budhist

or some such. The major thread label would be Theology or some other cooler name, with branching sub-forums when they came. It would require less cleanup even if it looked sparse to begin with. Within each of those sub-forums we could flesh out threads of info. Such as:

Christianity
l
l
/\
NT OT

If you get my gibberish?

If were going to do anything like this it has to be neat or we're just making more work for ourselves later. If we're not thinking ahead we're barely thinking at all.

It doesn't matter anyways really because the votes aren't in favor.

Democracy... what's that?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
30-03-2012, 01:28 PM
(30-03-2012 01:26 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Democracy... what's that?

Apparently, the opinion of a "dumbass".

30-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Well that's true.
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and wants to stick it in your face.

30-03-2012, 01:47 PM
(30-03-2012 01:45 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Well that's true.
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and wants to stick it in your face.
You have a weird fetish.