Should we pass a law to euthanize morons after they reveal themselves?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2017, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2017 09:56 PM by Vera.)
RE: Should we pass a law to euthanize morons after they reveal themselves?
(27-08-2017 09:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  But that's only half the full sentiment, he continues,

"Put the case that the mind of that philanthropist were clouded by sorrow of his own extinguishing all sympathy with the lot of others, and that while he still has the power to benefit others in distress, he is not touched by their trouble because he is absorbed with his own; and now suppose that he tears himself out of this dead insensibility, and performs the action without any inclination to it, but simply from duty, then first has his action its genuine moral worth."

Kant here is proposing a radically disinterested form of morality based on a sense of shared duty and creed and participation above and beyond any which could provide personal gratification or satisfaction.

I swear I just saw this not long ago on TV, .... lemme look ... there it is. Smile

"Only in darkness are we revealed. Goodness is not goodness that seeks advantage. Good is good in the final hour, in the deepest pit, without hope, without witness, without reward. Virtue is only virtue in extremis." - Moffat

Yeah, Kant can go fuck himself.

Is too late and am a bit behind work and slightly off, to go - yet fucking again - into the whole "altruism doesn't exist, people who help others do it 'cause it makes them feel better about themselves and thus Denis Mukwege is about as selfish as that POS who was raising some medication price or other" pile of shit.

His idiotic idea of duty is meaningless and, quoting someone else's essay on the subject, I just showed it can FRIGHTENINGLY easily lead to what it actually did lead to in his own beloved, duty-loving people.

So he can take his meaningless "duty" and shove it where the sun has never shone.

I may not agree with Schopenhauer on much, but compassion *is* the basis of morality. And is THE noblest and most selfless emotion we are capable of, because, unlike love and all the other much lauded emotions, you don't even have to like - or know - someone in order to feel compassion for them... and act upon that. And saying that we only do it to feel better about ourselves reflects ONLY on the person claiming this.

PS. Not sure who that Moffat bozo is (nor do I care), but he can go reveal himself in darkness too.

Now look what you gone done, Girly, making me mad this late at night Angry

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2017, 09:58 PM
(27-08-2017 09:52 PM)Vera Wrote:  Now look what you gone done, Girly, making me mad this late at night Angry

Girly is the reader, not author.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
27-08-2017, 10:05 PM
(27-08-2017 09:52 PM)Vera Wrote:  His idiotic idea of duty is meaningless and, quoting someone else's essay on the subject, I just showed it can FRIGHTENINGLY easily lead to what it actually did lead to in his own beloved, duty-loving people.

Yes, and my own personal critique on pure reason is that's precisely where it leads. I come not to defend reason, but to defame and defile it. I was trained by hippies. Smile

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-08-2017, 10:08 PM
(27-08-2017 09:52 PM)Vera Wrote:  PS. Not sure who that Moffat bozo is (nor do I care), but he can go reveal himself in darkness too.

He's the dude who writes Doctor Who. ... oh, and Sherlock. Didn't know he wrote Sherlock.

#sigh
27-08-2017, 10:18 PM
(27-08-2017 10:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-08-2017 09:52 PM)Vera Wrote:  PS. Not sure who that Moffat bozo is (nor do I care), but he can go reveal himself in darkness too.

He's the dude who writes Doctor Who. ... oh, and Sherlock. Didn't know he wrote Sherlock.

Ah yeah. I've actually heard mostly bad things about him. Yes

I also refuse to watch a series older than me. Knowing when to stop is a virtue that eludes many Drinking Beverage

27-08-2017, 10:47 PM
(27-08-2017 09:52 PM)Vera Wrote:  I may not agree with Schopenhauer on much, but compassion *is* the basis of morality. And is THE noblest and most selfless emotion we are capable of, because, unlike love and all the other much lauded emotions, you don't even have to like - or know - someone in order to feel compassion for them... and act upon that. And saying that we only do it to feel better about ourselves reflects ONLY on the person claiming this.

I think, and I could be misreading him entirely, that Kant was in effect attempting to ennoble compassion by providing a rational basis for it independent of any personal cost/benefit, emotional or otherwise. As if compelled by an unspoken, but always tacitly understood and mutually agreed upon creed. Nemo residio. In theory, his attempt at orthogonalization could work, "compassion as creed" independent and irrespective of any personal consideration for the basis of the "objective" morality Tomasia so desperately seeks. In hindsight, such an attempt may be misheaded from the gitgo.

#sigh
27-08-2017, 11:01 PM
Yeah, the whole "feelings - bad, pure rationality - good" is about as dumb - and impossible - as Tomasia's "objective morality". And is yet another attempt to "fix" humankind by focusing on what is *not* the problem.

And compassion is plenty noble as is...

28-08-2017, 06:09 AM
(26-08-2017 11:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-08-2017 08:15 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  If the feminists decide, all men would be put to death. If the Christians decided, guess who would be dead.

You never actually talked to or met a feminist did you ?
(But never let an opportunity to piss and moan pass you by. Thumbsup )

I have seen the crazy screaming feminazis that hate men on the news. To want equality is egalitarian, not feminism. Feminism has become all about female superiority, not equality.
28-08-2017, 06:45 AM
(28-08-2017 06:09 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(26-08-2017 11:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You never actually talked to or met a feminist did you ?
(But never let an opportunity to piss and moan pass you by. Thumbsup )

I have seen the crazy screaming feminazis that hate men on the news. To want equality is egalitarian, not feminism. Feminism has become all about female superiority, not equality.

Meanwhile candidate Trump brags about grabbing women by the pussy and still gets elected as president of the United States. Any negative reaction to things like this by a person who’s gender makes up more than 50% of the population for wanting equal and civil treatment is justified. Drinking Beverage

Now back to the interesting discussion Vera and Girly were having.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-08-2017, 06:52 AM
(28-08-2017 06:09 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Feminism has become all about female superiority, not equality.

And your evidence for this is...? Are you feeling threatened? Will you be diminished somehow if the evil feminists get their way? Oh, I get it, some woman once was selected over you or promoted over you, and the only way your fragile ego could explain that was that you were a victim of affirmative action?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post