Should we simplify or is it too late?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Should we simplify or is it too late?
Alright I'm not the most eloquent person, but let me see if I can pose this question in an understandable manor. I think that one of the reasons this world is so screwed up if because we take seemingly simple matters and make them ubercomplicated. For instance Law. It should not be that difficult that difficult to work out legal matters, or laws should not that difficult to interpret. For anything but the most heinous of crimes a person should not need a lawyer. Divorce doesn't need to be a mult-billion dollar industry where the bulk of that goes to lawyers! This stuff just is not that hard! We make it hard, why? Because lawyer is proffession and they wish to make money, duh. However is it time to say NO! Healthcare, hello?? Not that hard, doctors need to make money, the people that make machines, and drugs need to make money I understand that. So fix a price that accomplishes that and charge it. It's not rocket science. What's this shit with if you have this insurance a test is $20, but that insurance its $40, no insurance $120!! it makes no sense. I could go into almost anything and find overcomplicated bullshit that is feeding some industry with a gazillion employees therefore we can't mess with it because all those people would be unemployed! Is it time to admit that we can't keep going like this and shake the etch-a-sketch to start over? CAN WE EVEN?
Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2011, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2011 01:23 PM by Observer.)
RE: Should we simplify or is it too late?
(14-02-2011 12:36 PM)Dregs Wrote:  CAN WE EVEN?
No. Next question...

Kidding...
What we are looking at is the result of the way society has evolved. It may look as if it was created that way but it simply evolved that way due to needs of that time, group dynamics, lobbyists, etc (Picture this as a creationist/evolutionist discussion). The problem is that many people are afraid of change and that, making things simpler opens doors to bad things as abuse and loopholes and so on. Basically complex systems are in place because simpler systems proved insufficient.
I 'd like to add...
Be honest... What we are doing here is not much different from "overcomplicating". We all see it is the right thing to do but face it... Thinking the world was created by a wizard, listening to pastor and obeying without questioning is a lot easier to follow then studying evolution, and physics finding your own way and being sceptical.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Well , considering how the world has changed and how technology and knowledge evolves , the bureaucracy seems inevitable.It's easy to organize in small groups and follow simple laws , but when you have authority over millions of people , it gets harder to keep order.

As for complexity , look at evolution , isn't it the natural way of some things to become more complex.With change, usually from technology or natural events , human society has changed to adapt to new circumstances.Complexity simply arose from this.

A divorce would be a simple process but it really depends on the couple and if they are willing to part ways peacefully or are they in discordance on how to split their joint assets.It could be a painless process, but the most mediatized divorces are the ones of rich couples , and they don't part with assets that easily.

As for health care , I don't know what to say.In Europe, health care comes freely from taxes. You don't have to pay extra as far as I know.When you have private health care if something goes wrong they can be sued , thus the added lair of complexity.

We don't have a reset button on society - sorry .

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
14-02-2011, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2011 02:09 PM by Lilith Pride.)
(14-02-2011 01:23 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  We don't have a reset button on society - sorry .

I thought it was called revolution =p

The only way to simplify matters is for a revolt of our current government. The reason most of Europe is doing better than us is because they've had more recent revolutions. A revolution is where everything is forced to be rewritten and then it slowly recomplicates itself. Americans' choose to accept what is happening and not force a change, so changes are made on top of the current system which complicates matters every change. America has been around for a quite a while, and the last American revolution ended before the year 1900. Things are so complex because we've not questioned them since. If womens' rights was a revolt and not an amendment it would be more clear cut. If you want to simplify our government, then suggest people start rallying together and prepare for large scale bloodshed over this idea.

EDIT: For those not aware this is tongue in cheek

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
14-02-2011, 01:39 PM
That would be an unfortunate turn of events.
1.I think revolutions can be peaceful , see the recent events in Egypt for a peaceful overthrow of government.
2.Is a revolution really necessary? Is it the predictable mechanism of human society ?
That's what scares me , that we can't come up with a functional system that ensures stability and rights for all individuals.That eventually , every system needs to be overthrown otherwise it will not change.Isn't there a way to upgrade to a better system is what I'm asking ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
14-02-2011, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2011 02:20 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Well my previous statement was slightly tongue in cheek. I am aware that revolutions can be peaceful.

The issue with coming up with an upgraded system, is that it's still laid on top of the previous one. We get new computers because the groundwork is altered all the time, and to use outdated motherboards slows new innovations in videocards etc. As long as we revise the original is always kept, currently in the US people feel the constitution still has merit. So no matter what we come up with, we still have opinions of government from the 1700's as groundwork. Which we then add extra words onto to modernize to now. So it will always be convolluted if we're dealing with a system over 200 years old.

EDIT: I originally stated that the constitution was from the 1800s, I have been proven wrong (shows how much I know =p)

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
14-02-2011, 04:51 PM
We're basically fucked because people are greedy, useless, selfish, unintelligent dick heads. Myself included.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
14-02-2011, 08:12 PM
I think I'm going to be the voice of reason here and say that we should not be bashing on lawyers, we should be thanking them and revering them!

Lawyers are our friends and it is to our collective benefit that these find people toil away on obscure details.

So, no more lawyer bashing.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-02-2011, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2011 01:40 AM by Observer.)
(14-02-2011 08:12 PM)BnW Wrote:  Lawyers are our friends and it is to our collective benefit that these find people toil away on obscure details.
Why do I get the feeling that you are a lawyer? Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
15-02-2011, 01:50 AM
(14-02-2011 08:12 PM)BnW Wrote:  Lawyers are our friends and it is to our collective benefit that these find people toil away on obscure details.

Lawyers had a big hand in creating obscure details so that they could have a greater power base and money tree.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.