Should we stop calling ourselves atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2014, 11:21 AM
RE: Should we stop calling ourselves athiests?
(11-08-2014 10:31 AM)Imaginenoregurgitation Wrote:  [...]I highly recommend it. One of the points he made is that there is no equivalent label for someone who isn't racist, or who doesn't believe in astrology, so why should there be one for someone who isn't religious? You don't hear people going around self identifying as "non-racists", or "a-astrologists"?
In a time when racism was the popular choice, a title used by "non-racists" was probably abolitionist. I'm no history buff so maybe there is a better or more accurate term.

There would be no reason for the word atheist to exist...if we lived in a world where being a theist was rare. But reality check, we don't. Theism is everywhere. Atheism accurately describes a stance that disagrees with theism. Until theism is not mainstream, the word atheist is important.

We can't just pretend we've already won.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
11-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Why Won't God Heal Amputees? proposes we simply call ourselves "Rational People". Seems like it'd just be begging to start argument, though.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
11-08-2014, 11:38 AM
(11-08-2014 11:05 AM)Sam Wrote:  Skeptic, rationalist, humanist, secularist... All perfectly good alternatives.

seriously, it doesn't matter one bit what we call ourselves............. as long as its not theists bleh
11-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Offtopic Sorta.
I wonder if and when Atheism becomes the majority, will religions lobby for special treatment as a minority? Based on their track record I'd think so.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
11-08-2014, 11:47 AM
(11-08-2014 11:44 AM)pablo Wrote:  Offtopic Sorta.
I wonder if and when Atheism becomes the majority, will religions lobby for special treatment as a minority? Based on their track record I'd think so.

They already lobby for special treatment.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
11-08-2014, 12:35 PM
I don't really care too much about the terminology...

As long as it's not "bright" that is...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2014, 12:39 PM
I like that idea. I would much rather just say that I don't believe. Too much stigma associated with the word Atheist. It's a dirty word to believers. I try to avoid it. Anything to keep them off my back.
11-08-2014, 12:48 PM
(11-08-2014 12:39 PM)CarlyRoxanne Wrote:  I like that idea. I would much rather just say that I don't believe. Too much stigma associated with the word Atheist. It's a dirty word to believers. I try to avoid it. Anything to keep them off my back.

Honestly, if you think that calling yourself an unbeliever instead of an atheist is going to make a difference in keeping them off your back you're mistaken.

They dont really care what you call yourself, If you dont believe as they do you are a threat, challenging their belief system. If they really have a problem a label doesnt make a difference.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
11-08-2014, 12:57 PM
No, we should own the word because that is our position. I could give a fuck less the baggage of those who cant accept that we don't believe in fictional sky hero.

I would only agree that the word actually should not exist, but because people make naked assertions without evidence the word does exist.

There is no word for athiunicornist, or athiFSMist. But just like their is a word for "on" there is also a word for "off".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2014, 03:04 PM
I prefer the title "not a brainwashed dumb shit".