Should we stop calling ourselves atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2014, 03:46 PM
RE: Should we stop calling ourselves athiests?
(11-08-2014 12:48 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 12:39 PM)CarlyRoxanne Wrote:  I like that idea. I would much rather just say that I don't believe. Too much stigma associated with the word Atheist. It's a dirty word to believers. I try to avoid it. Anything to keep them off my back.

Honestly, if you think that calling yourself an unbeliever instead of an atheist is going to make a difference in keeping them off your back you're mistaken.

They dont really care what you call yourself, If you dont believe as they do you are a threat, challenging their belief system. If they really have a problem a label doesnt make a difference.

However if you say "I'm not religious" they assume you mean "I sorta buy into that stuff but can't stand going to church" so they leave you alone...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 04:03 PM
(11-08-2014 03:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 12:48 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Honestly, if you think that calling yourself an unbeliever instead of an atheist is going to make a difference in keeping them off your back you're mistaken.

They dont really care what you call yourself, If you dont believe as they do you are a threat, challenging their belief system. If they really have a problem a label doesnt make a difference.

However if you say "I'm not religious" they assume you mean "I sorta buy into that stuff but can't stand going to church" so they leave you alone...

I find that way too misleading. I guess if you're worried about confrontation though it works.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-08-2014, 04:19 PM
(11-08-2014 04:03 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I find that way too misleading. I guess if you're worried about confrontation though it works.

Most of the time I don't bother, if people ask direct I answer direct. But sometimes I can't be arsed... and since I got no morals Big Grin No worries.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-08-2014, 04:20 PM
(11-08-2014 04:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 04:03 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I find that way too misleading. I guess if you're worried about confrontation though it works.

Most of the time I don't bother, if people ask direct I answer direct. But sometimes I can't be arsed... and since I got no morals Big Grin No worries.

You filthy moral-less heathen you. Tongue
11-08-2014, 04:55 PM
If you're worried that there is too much baggage associated with the term 'atheist' you could tell people instead that you prefer to think of yourself as an anti-theist because religion is a social parasite that stunts the development of the host causing it to adopt behaviour detrimental to its own well-being in order to spread to new hosts.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
11-08-2014, 04:56 PM
(11-08-2014 04:55 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  If you're worried that there is too much baggage associated with the term 'atheist' you could tell people instead that you prefer to think of yourself as an anti-theist because religion is a social parasite that stunts the development of the host causing it to adopt behaviour detrimental to its own well-being in order to spread to new hosts.

I always like how you think Mathilda. Thumbsup
11-08-2014, 05:04 PM
"Jesus haters?"

Actually, I don't give a flying fuck what the ignorant think.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
11-08-2014, 05:54 PM
(11-08-2014 05:04 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  "Jesus haters?"

Actually, I don't give a flying fuck what the ignorant think.

Well you should. Like it or not, the ignorant vote, wield resources, and otherwise shape the world around us. What the ignorant think, especially regarding religion, effects all of us on a day to day to basis, whether we see it or not. If you don't care what ignorant people think, why are you even on this forum? So you can inhabit an echo chamber?
11-08-2014, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 06:58 PM by Chas.)
(11-08-2014 10:31 AM)Imaginenoregurgitation Wrote:  I just finished watching a video in which Sam Harris gives a talk on what he thinks are liabilities in calling ourselves atheists. The video is called Sam Harris on the "dangers" of "atheism" If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. One of the points he made is that there is no equivalent label for someone who isn't racist, or who doesn't believe in astrology, so why should there be one for someone who isn't religious? You don't hear people going around self identifying as "non-racists", or "a-astrologists". At about the 22 minute mark in the video, he says something which I thought was very intriguing. Instead of calling ourselves atheists, what would happen if we simply used words like 'reason' and 'evidence'? The religious have no problem calling themselves enemies of atheism, but how many would be comfortable calling themselves enemies of reason?

What do you think? Should we dispense with the title? Is it even realistic at this point to do so?

You can call yourself whatever the fuck you want. I'm an atheist. Drinking Beverage

I am also a skeptic, a humanist, a secularist, an anti-theist, and a golfer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-08-2014, 07:08 PM
I guess it's the only term that 'fits' quickly, if someone asks me about my religious affiliation.

Be true to yourself. Heart